Blessing of the Sugar Canes - Monday 8th September

here's a cold drink for a winter's day. The warmth comes from the spices and alcohol. It is loosely based on the Mojito.

I know this as the Fire and Spice

about 12 Mint leaves
2 Parts lime juice
1 part sugar syrup
3 parts spiced rum (try Lambs)
4 parts Crabbie's Alcoholic Ginger Beer.

Shake and strain into a tall glass with crushed ice and lime slices. The bar I saw this cocktail at traditionally served it in a beer glass. I do not know why.

I do not know if you can get Crabbies around the world. If you see it, it is worth trying.

Would other brands of ginger beer work? I rarely have ginger beer, so not very familiar with taste variations.

Looks like an interesting cocktails, though I would be inclined to increase the amount of rum.

Crabbies is alcoholic ginger beer. the ordinary non-alcoholic type would not really work.

Crabbies is the only brand i am aware of.

The alcoholic content of the ginger beer is why the rum portion is kept modest. Believe me, this one has a kick.

Some bartenders say that when a cocktail contains too many ingredients it becomes a punch. Perhaps. But this cocktail is one of my favourites, so whether it is technically a cocktail or a punch i do not care.

All of these recipes come from my cocktail notebook, which i have been adding to for 30 years now. When I was taught this recipe and wrote it down, i forgot to write down what it was called - so I have no idea what this is, I just know I like it!!

PS. Don't make a "part" in this recipe equivalent to a shot. You will probably kill yourself if you do.

place in a shaker:

2 part dark Rum
2 Part spiced rum
1 part grand marnier
1 part grenadine
4 parts orange juice
4 parts pineapple juice
1 part sugar syrup
1 part lime juice
dash of angostura bitters.

Shake and pour over ice. Garnish with orange slice.

In the interest of ecumenicalism, Tenebria is sending representatives to participate in this festival. The Lord High Preceptor of Tenebritia will also be participating in his own way; though he personally does not drink alcohol, he will at least try to track down a cane-sugar soda.

shadowbird712:
In the interest of ecumenicalism, Tenebria is sending representatives to participate in this festival. The Lord High Preceptor of Tenebritia will also be participating in his own way; though he personally does not drink alcohol, he will at least try to track down a cane-sugar soda.
In honour of your Lord High Preceptor, today's recipe is a Virgin (non-alcoholic) Mojito:

HALF A GLASS OF Lemonade OR Ginger Ale
QUARTER OF A GLASS apple juice
1 TEASPOON brown sugar
dash of angostura bitters
8 SPRIGS OF mint
ONE lime

put half the mint in a tall glass with the brown sugar. Mash with a spoon, adding a dash of the apple juice.

Add the lemonade/ginger, apple juice, bitters and crushed ice. remaining mint and the juice of half the lime.

add ice and slice in the remaining half of a lime. Serve.

Oh my dear sweet Jesus, today's song is bad. I think someone had the idea, "let's do a sort of thrash metal pirate song, with a scottish band.

But then they forgot that a song needs more than one guitar lick and needs someone who can write lyrics.

the result? Alestorm's "Rum".

Listen to this once, and then let's never ever speak of this again.

the chorus goes thus (the verse is no better):

Rum is the power
Rum is the key
Rum is the thing that will set us free

Rum Rum Rum yaaaar
Rum Rum Ahoy
Rum Rum Rum Yaaaar
Rum Rum
Give me more Rum!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACNKKPw_iXM[/video]

Today's cocktail is a vintage classic. It is typical of the 1920s prohibition era - very strong, very American and very classy.

It is called the limit

2 parts white rum
1 part bourbon
1 part brandy
1 part grenadine
1 part lemon juice

shake and pour into a martini glass, over ice. Keep away from naked flames!

Today's cocktail has a number of names. I know it best as a BO'SUN.

It is a cocktail that is supposed to evoke the royal navy, and especially the custom of preserving fruit in alcohol for fighting scurvy on long voyages.

It is an odd cocktail. Can't say I am keen myself, but it takes all sorts.

in a jug place:
1 part brandy
1 Part rum (preferably gold rum)
2 parts port
1 small handful of dried fruit.
2 wedges clementine, mandarin orange or satsuma.

Leave for 10 minutes so the fruit absorbs some of the alcohol.
Pour into a martini glass, with crushed ice.

drink - fruit and all.

HAve you heard of Ethan Johns? He is better known as a session musician and record producer, but he is pretty damn awesome in his own right. I saw him play some years ago in a pub in Surrey. He blew me away.

So here is his song "Among the Sugar Pines" please please take time to listen. If you have any soul at all you will love this.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBhrjwCTkPg[/video]

Interesting cocktail. It looks a little like a fortified, rum-based sangria. I'll see if I can find it in a local bar.

I've never mixed brandy with rum, even though I like both on their own. I can imagine they mix well.

A tad underage to enjoy any of this. Any possible easily-made non-alcoholic alternatives?

GBM enters to the strains of her theme song,

"Now many moons and many Junes, Have passed since we made land. Yes, a salty dog..."

Teetering on remarkably impractical Jimmy Choos, and likely having already sampled the rum, she has a bit of a Jennifer Lawrence moment.

tumblr_ldnw1aWNSC1qetcpr_zps89a8f65c.jpg

Oopsy-daisy! Seems I'm a little off-balance. I might have started celebrating a bit early. But I've always believed a balanced diet consists of a bottle of rum in each hand. In fact, throughout TNP history, during all of our wars, rogues and assorted usurpers, we were always fueled by rum. You could call it Tradition.

It may have all started with my most infamous offspring. One day TNP was chugging along with UPS Rail, and the next day Great Bight had replaced the RMB's forum link with a 6th grade pirate site. That's when the "Yaarring and Arrghing" began. How well I recall - there was Gentleman Pirate, the Cabin Girl, and of course, that SOB, Great Bights Dad, Flem rest his soul. The more nations were banned, the more rum we drank. The blockade continued, the bannings went on. We ran out of food, but we didn't care. We always had boatloads of rum.

Time and again our shores were befouled by the oafs of Gatesville. They were easy marks for Flem's lampooning. It was really some of his best work. Finally Gates admitted they just came for the rum. Roman bribed him with the promise of tankers loaded with TNP rum. Eventually, they drank themselves to death. You could say we were saved by the rum.

Now we have peace and prosperity. The McMasterdonian Sugar Mill has made McM a very rich man. The DD Distillery is thriving. Everyone loves the Silly Spiced Rum, the Captain COE and of course r3n-rum. Some newer varieties are Dark Tomb, Flap Jack and Paul Hits the Wall. That last one may not be for everybody, but I like it. You can say this about TNP, we love nothing more than a barrel of rum.

So as I look out over this dusty red clay, I can envision, with Flem's blessing, the tall stalks of cane, their leaves blowing in the tradewinds. I look forward to the glow of the burning fields at harvest time, with that sweet, smoky, unforgettable aroma. And mostly, I anticipate the lively, dark sipping rum that is TNP's finest.

Cheers!

:rum:

Back