WA advertising

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
I would like to put out an advertising campaign for TNP focusing on our WA influence and resources.

Here are some ideas I have been contemplating:
1) Compiling a comprehensive thread with "resources for authors" that will list all of the things we can offer to authors that join TNP.
2) Posting a thread in NS GP, advertising our forum, WA activity, and all we can offer to authors, and inviting them to join.
3) Creating an in-game dispatch with analogous content, that myself and members of the WA Ministry can advertise in their signatures.
4) Telegramming new authors (either those posting in the WA/SC forum, or those submitting resolutions) with invites to join TNP.

I have very hastily put together the following TG draft that could be used for (4):
Hi there!

I noticed your World Assembly resolution draft [name of the resolution]. Congratulations on your first draft! It is good to see new players get involved in the World Assembly.

As you seem to be interested in WA activity, I wanted to invite you to join us in The North Pacific. TNP is one of the best regions for WA authors to be in, and arguably the most powerful region when it comes to WA influence.

We are home to some of the most successful WA authors in the world: Abacathea, Sanctaria, Sciongrad, The Dourian Embassy, mcmasterdonia, stgeorge, Cormac, Mall, and so on. Together, our members have authored a total of XX GA and YY SC resolutions. And the count continues to increase! All these experienced authors can offer you feedback on your drafts, and help you maximize its success chances.

Furthermore, as Delegate of TNP, I control the largest, and by some margin, vote in the World Assembly. My early vote is one of the primary deciding factors for the fate of every resolution that goes to vote. I decide how to vote based on the discussion of every resolution by our members, so by being in TNP you get the chance to directly affect how I will vote, and of course to lobby for my support to your resolution when it goes to vote.

Finally, in TNP we have a state-of-the-art campaigning system that we use to reach out to WA delegates and nations all over the world. Through telegrams and dispatches, you can be sure that your proposal will reach quorum at no time. And then once it's at vote, you can campaign to get all 600 of TNP's WA nations to vote for you, and to inform WA nations all over the world about the merits of your proposal. If you join TNP, all these resources will be at your disposal - for free.

If I have enticed you even a little, I would encourage you to take a look at the World Assembly section of our forum: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/forum/39609/. I hope to see you posting there soon!

Feel free to contact me if you have questions about any of these.

Best,
HMS Unicorn
Delegate of The North Pacific
I intend this thread for brainstorming, so that we can launch this advertising campaign in a few days. I would like to hear your thoughts in general, and your suggestions for 1-4 in particular. For (1), what specific resources can we offer to TNP authors that we are not already? For 2 and 3, what other places and avenues of advertisement can we use?

Not sure about 4 to tell you the truth. The other 3 seems fair and attractive to me but 4 seems like it'll cause problems down the line.

I like your first idea a lot. The WA has a rich anthology of works that interested voters and prospective authors might find useful, as well as a few neat resources for writing proposals (shameless plug to my bureaucracy reference guide!). The only issue is that many of them are politically biased towards the NatSov camp as it was circa 2011, so we'll have to be selective. I'll see what I can find and we can review them here.

I'm also not opposed to your second idea, but I do wonder how effective that would be. The North Pacific has massive influence over the World Assembly, and it's a great idea to flex its figurative muscles out in the open, but I don't know if many gameplay forum regulars are very seriously interested in the North Pacific's WA activity. Although it definitely wouldn't hurt to try.

Your fourth idea is certainly workable, I think. We'd have to use some caution because inviting every person that presents a draft may cause us to have our hands full with some less than desirable newbies. But I do think it's a terrific long term strategy to recruit some able authors (and I don't think Aba, Douria, myself, or other experienced authors here would mind guiding some inexperienced novices, if that's the case).

Sophista's Resolution Writing Guide (http://nationstates.ermarian.net/jolt/1225/342360)
A relatively biased analysis of the WA's ideological blocs by Knootoss (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=104396)
A treatise on International Federalism by Sionis Prioratus (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?p=5243183#p5243183)
HotRodia's WA Reference Guide (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=22)
The Benefits of Committees, by Glen-Rhodes (http://s4.zetaboards.com/UDL/topic/9949327/1/)
Re-imagining International Federalism, also by Glen-Rhodes (http://s4.zetaboards.com/UDL/topic/9949337/1/)
Why Repeal? A treatise on repeals by Mousebumples (http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=111104)
The Right to Socks: What's Left for the World Assembly, by Gruenberg (http://w11.zetaboards.com/NS_World_Fair_II/topic/9982153/1/)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post. Anyways, here are a few essays that I think might be useful for authors. Some might be too complex for someone who only wants a rudimentary understanding of the WA, but for the intrepid voter, these might be interesting resources.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

As you know, I am currently away with very limited internet access, and will remain so for the next 3 days. I'll comment on these when I'm back.

The reason why this has been delayed so much is that a big part of it will be subsumed by the WALL. Annoyingly, we have been waiting for a very long time for Balder to ratify the treaty, and after many reminders from myself they finally did so just yesterday. Following that, I have PMed Bears Armed in IDU to ask him whom he intends to appoint as ambassador to the WALL from the IDU, so that we can begin with the WALL. Balder will be appointing Rach, and Europeia will be appointing Mousebumples.

Here is what I have planned so far, which in spirit remains similar to what I posted earlier, and which I hope to put in effect this weekend:

1) The headquarters of the WALL are going to be here, and will basically replace the WA Ministry. The headquarters will have a public and a private section.
2) The private section of the headquarters will be accessible by the four ambassadors, as will all of the current WA Ministry staff. So, Scion, you will have access to it, either as IDU ambassador or as TNP deputy minister ;) . In the private section, we will be discussing resolutions and producing joint voting recommendations (similar to what we produce now for TNP) for all four regions, assuming that a majority of ambassadors approve it. If there is no majority, then we will be producing a TNP-only recommendation.
3) The public section will be accessible to anyone registered on the forum. The public section will have a collection of resources for writing, including the list of resources you have already compiled Scion, as well as a copy of the WA 101 course offered in Europeia. It will be for authors from all over NS to come and post their drafts for comments.
4) The WALL will also have an NS GP embassy, in the form of a thread where the OP explains what the WALL is, and encourages members to come and join our forum and post their drafts here.
5) WALL recommendations will be distributed in a number of ways: First, they will be telegrammed to all WA nations within the member regions. Second, they will be posted in the WALL NS GP Embassy. Finally, they will be posted by the WALL nation in the corresponding NS GA or NS SC thread.
6) As the WALL, we will be adopting a voting policy that views resolutions that have been posted within the WALL public HQ a lot more favorably than those which have not. Given that the WALL represents a block of 800 votes (and that's the delegates only), this should give people a strong incentive to come and post their drafts here.
7) Finally, I will start telegramming or decent-looking authors, encouraging them to come over, and pointing out all of the above :) .

Scion, I had a question for the sources you listed. Do you know whether it is permitted to make copies of them in our forum? If you don't know, or if you only know about some of them, I will go ahead and telegram the authors to ask for permission.

Also, to address some of your earlier comments:

I'm also not opposed to your second idea, but I do wonder how effective that would be. The North Pacific has massive influence over the World Assembly, and it's a great idea to flex its figurative muscles out in the open, but I don't know if many gameplay forum regulars are very seriously interested in the North Pacific's WA activity. Although it definitely wouldn't hurt to try.
This is true, but unfortunately it is not possible to have an "embassy" thread in the WA-related forums. So, NS GP is the next best place.

The WA has become a little more interesting to gameplayers as of late, so I think it will have some effect.

Your fourth idea is certainly workable, I think. We'd have to use some caution because inviting every person that presents a draft may cause us to have our hands full with some less than desirable newbies. But I do think it's a terrific long term strategy to recruit some able authors (and I don't think Aba, Douria, myself, or other experienced authors here would mind guiding some inexperienced novices, if that's the case).
Aye, I am not going to invite every single author. But if someone submits a decent-looking (relatively, for a first draft) proposal, then I will be inviting them to come over and post.

I just heard back from Bears Armed. There must have been some miscommunication between me and previous IDU Delegate Sanctaria, as from what he had told me back in July I assumed that the WALL had already been ratified there. It turns out the IDU is just now putting it to vote, so ratification will need to wait another week.

In the meantime, I will work on preparing some of the materials I mentioned above, so that we can start as soon as possible after IDU is done.

r3naissanc3r:
I just heard back from Bears Armed. There must have been some miscommunication between me and previous IDU Delegate Sanctaria, as from what he had told me back in July I assumed that the WALL had already been ratified there. It turns out the IDU is just now putting it to vote, so ratification will need to wait another week.

In the meantime, I will work on preparing some of the materials I mentioned above, so that we can start as soon as possible after IDU is done.
Yes, I'm sorry the IDU is taking so long. I was also under the assumption that Sanc had already ratified the treaty, but it seems that Bears Armed is putting it up for a one week formal vote. I'm going to try to convince him to expedite the process, because I doubt a week is necessary. It's also unclear as to whom Bears wants to appoint as ambassador, although he's indicated it will either be me or him. This is unofficial though, as there are others in the region that could also be appointed.

Thanks Scion. Both you and BA will be good ambassadors, and as I said above both of you (BA as Delegate and you as Deputy Minister here) are going to get access to the HQ anyway.

mcmasterdonia:
I so hope he appoints TDSR. :P
To be perfectly fair, DSR would make a very good ambassador. He's probably the most influential and prolific author in the combined history of the WA and the NSUN, besides Powerhungry Chipmunks, and he's generally very pleasant, but he can be sort of confrontational. Plus, if Mouse really is Europeia's ambassador, I can't even imagine the nightmares that would ensue if she served along with DSR. I don't envy her, though. If there's one person who I wouldn't want to be in an argument with, it's DSR.

I just heard from Bears Armed as well.

I can't say I am excited about the appointment (and I am sure mcm was being sarcastic as well). Given that the project is just getting off the ground and therefore is very fragile, I would have strongly preferred someone who can work more harmoniously with the other ambassadors. Of course, Gruen would have still been welcome in the staff.

In any event, I am busy throughout the day preparing for my thesis defense. I will inform the other ambassadors and post to have the WALL forum created either today in the evening or tomorrow afternoon after my defense rehearsal.

To be perfectly honest, I do wonder why Bears chose someone who is disliked by two of the other signatories, but I wouldn't worry about Gruen being anything short of completely professional.

Back