Cracks at the seams

punk d

TNPer
-
-
Dear members of the Assembly,

First, I apologize for the length of this post, but it's a serious matter that I believe warrants lengthy examination. For the tl:dr version skip to the bottom.

Cracks at the seams

When you've played this game for a while, you have this useful tool called "perspective" that comes in handy from time to time. Perspective allows you to reflect upon present situations and juxtapose them against past situations. This shouldn't imply that the present situation doesn't have a few new wrinkles, but that people are people and as the saying goes, "there is nothing new under the sun."

I say all of this because I am seeing what I am terming "cracks at the seams" of our regional collectivity. What do I mean by "collectivity"? Collectivity is not sameness but it is unity and I am seeing cracks to that unity over the pas several months. I'm seeing the same sort of cracks that generally lead to - if unchecked - rogue delegates, new forums, butt-hurt feelings, and everything else that disunity produces.

It begins with admin mistrust
Typically attacks against collectivity begin with the community questioning administrative action/administrators taking unilateral action that the community questions. Communal trust within admins is, in my opinion, a critical - repeat, critical - aspect of this "collectivity" because if the community does not trust the admin team then there will eventually be a critical masse of inertia where the community says "let's go somewhere else." Once that critical masse has been attained it's very difficult to reverse course.

If the community feels safe within the hands of admins, then any disagreements or issues are not directed at the admin team but at the other members of the community. That's perfectly fine, reasonable, and expected but having seen certain things play out before the cracks begin with the beginnings of community mistrust of the administrators. While we have moved beyond the petition episode, one could consider that the initial "crack" if you will.

A public spat between longstanding members of the community
What adds fuel to the initial fire, is a public spat between longstanding members of the community. In a community such as this, we all build communal capital daily whether we intend to or not. By capital I mean that every day we are here we accrue (and not equally) a certain amount of attachment to the community at large. As our attachment grows so grows our community capital. I'll illustrate using Eluvatar. Eluvatar has a certain amount of communal capital to the extent that when he has been absent, his absence is felt as it actually changes the community. He has such capital through his efforts to build the community, participate in the community, etc. Another example, would be Blue Wolf amongst others. These people are part and parcel of the community whether they are trying to be or not.

Once a little admin mistrust has crept in, what adds to the "disunity movement" as I'll term it is a public spat between two or more members of the community who have significant community capital. Spats between those who do not have significant community capital don't produce the sort of strains to unity simply because the community is not harmed by someone who has little influence or investment within the community (think Unibot) despite that person's protestations, gyrations, or whatever against the "system" (aka community).

However, if the person with the issue is someone vested in the community and there issue is with another vested person then it is an entirely different ballgame. This is why the present situation with Flemingovia & Romanoffia is such a toxic mix for our community. Large spats like this one strain the community because vested community participants moving in opposite directions confuse the community and, unfortunately, tear apart the established community dynamic. Tear apart is a little strong, what these do is tear at the seams of the community.

So what's this mean?
What it means is that if we continue to go down this road, the end is that we will build to a critical masse where the community of TNP as we know it will change. It could mean Roman or Flem or others deciding to leave the community. Anytime a vested member leaves it leaves a whole (see earlier examples of Eluvatar and BW...or for you old people, Tresville & Hersfold) that is not replaced. Or worse it could mean the destruction of the community we've built and I don't mean the destruction of TNP herself, but of the community we have here. A new community would rise so it is not a dire situation, but it would mean the death of this one. I don't want to see that happen.

TL:DR Version
I feel the TNP community is starting to crack at the seams. Not greatly, but a bit. I believe that this is evidenced by angst with admin actions and a public spat between prominent members of the TNP community. If we continue down this road, I believe we may form an irrevocable rift and our community will never be the same. I hope I am wrong, but I am a little worried.

Thank you for the tl;dr, and nothing else. I don't care to imagine the community cracking or crumbling, it is useless. I know that I am not leaving, and that TNP will continue, and that the community and dynamics will change. Tresville and Hersfold left, true, but the community continues and is engaging enough to keep me here. Flemingovia and Romanoffia may leave, which would be saddening and joyous respectively. It doesn't mean I would stop or the community would crumble, that would be overstating their importance. LONG LIVE THE NORTH PACIFIC!

Edit: As this isn't really an RA matter, could I suggest it be moved to the Agora?

Yeah...the agora may be more appropriate.

Hopefully no one leaves, DD. But i am a little concerned.

People will leave for whatever reasons. I left for a long while because a member was mean to me. I came back and it appears things were going along just fine here. :)

Democratic Donkeys:
People will leave for whatever reasons. I left for a long while because a member was mean to me. I came back and it appears things were going along just fine here. :)
Things were going fine only because you were gone. :fish:

I do have a few comments on this thread, but you will have to wait until the next edition of The North Pacific Free Press to find out what those comments will be. ;)

I haven't been playing NationStates for nearly as long as Punk, nor have I been as active a contributor to The North Pacific. I do, however, have some experience with community turmoil and community collapse within GCRs.

I tend to agree with his assessment here. All communities will have their drama, but what I've seen happening in The North Pacific over the past few weeks has a different feel to it. It doesn't have the same feel as past political disputes such as the WA voting policy, the NPA Doctrine, etc. It feels more to me like the serious disputes that led to irreparable rifts in Osiris in 2012 and 2013.

Whenever I get that feeling in a community, I feel compelled to share my perspective with people. Of course you can take that for what it's worth, or leave it, but I would rather share my impression of the situation and be wrong than not say anything and wonder later if I had done everything I could to call attention to problems and change them.

I was just thinking of a non sequitur in the title of this thread. Seams don't crack, they generally rip or split.

Just sayin'.

Or this might be more apropos in describing the cracks at the seems as more of an issue of "a rip in the fabric of the Universe":

14muiyc.jpg

This would explain the cyclical nature of TNP coming apart at the seams on a regular basis (yes, I know that statement is redundant, but what the Hell is TNP?). But this is only a conclusion drawn from the precepts of the Discordian/Pastafarian followers who believe that this whole matter could have been avoided if everyone here had been touched by HIS Noodly Appendage (FSM) and been enlightened to the fact that silliness matters.

I'm of a mind with DD, here. I've been hearing bits and pieces of the craziness of late, and I've had the chance to read through some of it. It seems to me that it will all come to a head, one way or another, and TNP will go on. Maybe not the same as it ever was, but our community can weather this.

Hey, people wanted activity and failed to realize that when you ask for activity, you don't always get exactly the type of activity you hoped for. Or worse yet, got the exact activity you were looking for.

2qbt6ar.jpg

Just sayin'.

I maintain that this series of incidents is not beyond the ability of our community to bear through without permanent damage. Hail The North Pacific! May its admin team be wise and fair, and may its government be strong and effective. May its citizenry be harmonious and productive, and may its flag fly boldly on!

Crushing Our Enemies:
I maintain that this series of incidents is not beyond the ability of our community to bear through without permanent damage. Hail The North Pacific! May its admin team be wise and fair, and may its government be strong and effective. May its citizenry be harmonious and productive, and may its flag fly boldly on!
Certainly, we're not close to irreparable damage, but I have noticed cracks that are different than the typical political disagreements. The TNP community is a strong one, I'm just writing this as a warning.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Hey, that would make a nice motto.

punk d:
You know, you try to have a serious conversation and this is what you get.

:P
Hell, yeah.

You think this is getting twisted, just you wait.

I've got a friend who is a comic book artist for This Guy who is going to create a TNP Comic Book to post on the TNP Free Press site/forum. It's going to be viciously hysterically funny in epic proportions.

We are scripting out a 'comic book' of The Flying Spaghetti Monster sending a Plague of Schnauzers to root out Flemingovians with hilarious results. R3n will be portrayed as "Ren" from the "Ren and Stimpy" cartoons and "Stimpy" is going to be DD. :lol:

Nothing will heal TNP like laughter, but then again, anyone who says laughter is the best medicine has never had morphine. :P

I went to the grocery store today. There were people there from my community. We live in the same neighborhood, work in the same town, go (or went) to the same schools. You could surmise I have a lot in common with these people. But it is a rare occasion when I engage in a lively, intelligent discussion with any of them.

Yet it happens all the time here. This community has a shared interest. In some ways we have more in common with one another than those random people at the grocery store. When I see personal clashes on the forum, I think those involved are seeing only their differences and forgetting about their similarities.

I invite you all to go to the market and look around.

I've been to the market. Inflation has become outrageous - the prices are high and the products have diminished quantity and quality. :P

Back