Judiciary #1

punk d

TNPer
-
-
The court of The North Pacific finds herself in a curious situation. Having recently seen the resignation of former Chief Justice Romanoffia, new Chief Justice Silly Strong String has, along with Justices Kiwi and Ator People, conducted the business of the court in a more reserved manner than under Chief Justice Romanoffia. CJ Romanoffia was wont to react to the crowd with proclamations that would not come to fruition and it appears that CJ String and her fellow justices are taking an opposite approach to the bench.
Indeed, the case of Chief Justice Romanoffia, is illustrative of what happens when ego and butt-hurt mix. CJ Romanoffia had been performing admirably prior to these circumstances and it is sad that his legacy will be one of a resignation fueled by arguments with parties involved in the case and the public gallery.
With this backdrop, I asked CJ String what is the major concern facing the court in the wake of Romanoffia’s resignation. She replied, “There are two concerns facing the court. One, any open issues to be resolved (of which there is currently one), and two, I think it's well past time that the Court went through its archives and released old discussions into the public eye. There is no obligation for this kind of transparency, but in my opinion it would be highly beneficial. I hope the Court will pursue this second one in the upcoming term, no matter who sits on it.”
Readers will certainly find CJ String’s second pressing issue of interest as it begs the question - what court secrets will be revealed? Will CJ String reveal the deliberations of the region’s most controversial rulings? In the event that CJ String wins reelection and is selected as CJ, we’ll have to see what she really means by “transparency”.
I also asked CJ String how the new court rules improve upon the old rules? She said, “I think the rule changes have two primary benefits. First, they clarify and simplify procedures, particularly the rules of evidence (which were absurdly complicated before). This will allow trials and hearings to run more smoothly, and I believe will make things easier on people with less experience in NS or TNP courts. Second, they add guidelines where none existed with respect to the conduct of justices and other participants and the level of discretion an individual justice has as compared to the full bench. I think this additional structure is also a good thing, and will hopefully help avoid any future situations from devolving into nonsense as the trial of JAL did.”
Simplifying and adding guidelines sound good to this writer. Under the old rules there were complaints that one needed to be a RL lawyer to maneuver through court proceedings. It appears that the new rules address this issue.
With judicial elections under way, it’s an exciting time within the TNP Judicial landscape. Keep watching this space as we bring you all of the developments within TNP’s judiciary!

Proposed edit:

The court of The North Pacific finds itself in a curious situation. Having recently seen the resignation of former Chief Justice Romanoffia, new Chief Justice SillyString has, along with Justices Kiwi and Ator People, conducted the business of the court in a more reserved manner than under Chief Justice Romanoffia. Romanoffia was wont to react to the crowd with proclamations that would not come to fruition and it appears that SillyString and her fellow justices are taking an opposite approach to the bench.

With this backdrop, I asked SillyString what is the major concern facing the court in the wake of Romanoffia's resignation. She replied, "There are two concerns facing the court. One, any open issues to be resolved (of which there is currently one), and two, I think it's well past time that the Court went through its archives and released old discussions into the public eye. There is no obligation for this kind of transparency, but in my opinion it would be highly beneficial. I hope the Court will pursue this second one in the upcoming term, no matter who sits on it."

Readers will certainly find SillyString's second pressing issue of interest as it begs the question - what court secrets will be revealed? Will SillyString reveal the deliberations of the region's most controversial rulings? In the event that SillyString wins reelection and is selected as chief justice, we'll have to see what she really means by "transparency".

Following the resignation of Romanoffia, the three justices agreed upon and published a revised version of the court rules, the set of procedures the court uses for all cases before it. I asked SillyString how the new court rules improve upon the old rules. She said, "I think the rule changes have two primary benefits. First, they clarify and simplify procedures, particularly the rules of evidence (which were absurdly complicated before). This will allow trials and hearings to run more smoothly, and I believe will make things easier on people with less experience in NS or TNP courts. Second, they add guidelines where none existed with respect to the conduct of justices and other participants and the level of discretion an individual justice has as compared to the full bench. I think this additional structure is also a good thing, and will hopefully help avoid any future situations from devolving into nonsense as the trial of JAL did."

Simplifying and adding guidelines sound good to this writer. Under the old rules there were complaints that one needed to be a real-life lawyer to maneuver through court proceedings. It appears that the new rules address this issue.

With judicial elections under way at the time of writing, it's an exciting time within TNP's judicial landscape. Keep watching this space as we bring you all of the related developments!
Some of the changes are to apply our internal styleguide. I removed the original second paragraph, given that Roman's resignation was covered in the latest issue. And I added a sentence introducing the new rules, before moving on to Asta's comments on the rules.

One problem is that, when this gets published (hopefully Sunday, other submissions have been late), judicial elections will have concluded. It may be worth expanding upon the last sentence a little to account for that.

Sorry, just now seeing this. let me see if I can add to the last area and still stay under 500.

I can help with shortening if you go above 500 words (assuming you don't send me a 1500 word article like some other writers tend to do :P ).

Newly updated. BTW - I like "herself". :)

The court of The North Pacific finds itself in a curious situation. Having recently seen the resignation of former Chief Justice Romanoffia, new Chief Justice SillyString has, along with Justices Kiwi and Ator People, conducted the business of the court in a more reserved manner than under Chief Justice Romanoffia. Romanoffia was wont to react to the crowd with proclamations that would not come to fruition and it appears that SillyString and her fellow justices are taking an opposite approach to the bench.

With this backdrop, I asked SillyString what is the major concern facing the court in the wake of Romanoffia's resignation. She replied, "There are two concerns facing the court. One, any open issues to be resolved (of which there is currently one), and two, I think it's well past time that the Court went through its archives and released old discussions into the public eye. There is no obligation for this kind of transparency, but in my opinion it would be highly beneficial. I hope the Court will pursue this second one in the upcoming term, no matter who sits on it."

Readers will certainly find SillyString's second pressing issue of interest as it begs the question - what court secrets will be revealed? Will SillyString reveal the deliberations of the region's most controversial rulings? In the event that SillyString wins reelection and is selected as chief justice, we'll have to see what she really means by "transparency".

Following the resignation of Romanoffia, the three justices agreed upon and published a revised version of the court rules, the set of procedures the court uses for all cases before it. I asked SillyString how the new court rules improve upon the old rules. She said, "I think the rule changes have two primary benefits. First, they clarify and simplify procedures, particularly the rules of evidence (which were absurdly complicated before). This will allow trials and hearings to run more smoothly, and I believe will make things easier on people with less experience in NS or TNP courts. Second, they add guidelines where none existed with respect to the conduct of justices and other participants and the level of discretion an individual justice has as compared to the full bench. I think this additional structure is also a good thing, and will hopefully help avoid any future situations from devolving into nonsense as the trial of JAL did."

Simplifying and adding guidelines sound good to this writer. Under the old rules there were complaints that one needed to be a real-life lawyer to maneuver through court proceedings. It appears that the new rules address this issue.

With judicial elections just concluding at the time of writing, it's an exciting time within TNP's judicial landscape. How will the new court navigate the numerous questions before it and will Silly String be able to keep the often volatile RA satisfied with her team's rulings? These questions are yet to be answered, but we'll soon find out if the new court will permanently depart from the Romanoffia's chaotic departure.

Further minor edit, and approved.

The court of The North Pacific finds itself in a curious situation. Following the resignation of former Chief Justice Romanoffia, his successor Chief Justice SillyString has, along with Justices Kiwi and Ator People, conducted the business of the court in a more reserved manner than under Chief Justice Romanoffia. Romanoffia was wont to react to the crowd with proclamations that would not come to fruition and it appears that SillyString and her fellow justices are taking an opposite approach to the bench.

The recently concluded judicial elections have seen SillyString and Kiwi remain as chief justice and justice respectively, and Blue Wolf II replace Ator People on the bench. How will the new court navigate the numerous questions before it and will the justices be able to keep the often volatile RA satisfied with their rulings? These questions are yet to be answered, but we'll soon find out if the new court will permanently depart from the circumstances of Romanoffia's chaotic term. It's certainly an exciting time within TNP's judicial landscape.

Back