At vote: Child Welfare in Adoption [Complete] [Complete]

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
Child Welfare in Adoption

Category: Social Justice | Strength: Mild | Proposed by: Sanctaria | Resolution link | World Assembly forum thread

Description: The General Assembly,

BELIEVING that intercountry adoption can be beneficial to nations experiencing difficulty with their internal rate of adoption and to children in need of a loving home,

FRUSTRATED with the reality that member nations each have differing rules and regulations regarding intercountry adoption,

CONCERNED that such a myriad of bureaucratic minutiae poses a danger to the welfare of children involved in intercountry adoptions, and unnecessarily increases the risk of child abuse and trafficking,

HOPEFUL that the consolidation of these varied rules and regulations will aid in the safekeeping of vulnerable children, as well as break down barriers to intercountry adoption,

Hereby

DEFINES, for the purpose of this resolution, the following:

i. child: an individual under the threshold of majority in both the country of origin and the recipient country,

ii. prospective adopter: a party who is seeking to adopt a child;

STRONGLY ENCOURAGES member nations to permit intercountry adoption;

DEMANDS that, should one not already exist, each member nation that permits intercountry adoption establish a state or semi-state agency, to be known as National Adoption Boards, which shall have the following duties:

i. to maintain a register of children available within that nation for adoption,

ii. to work with and vet prospective adopters in that nation, and

iii. to liaise with National Adoption Boards in other member nations during intercountry adoption processes;

DECREES that any intercountry adoption between member nations must be conducted between National Adoption Boards, and that no transfer of children shall take place until the intercountry adoption is finalised and confirmed;

REQUIRES National Adoption Boards to consider the welfare and wishes of all children available for adoption, in particular with determining if intercountry adoption is appropriate for each individual child;

CREATES the World Assembly Adoption Authority (WAAA) to establish and implement a stringent and rigorous uniform code of rules and regulations regarding intercountry adoption;

MANDATES that all National Adoption Boards be member organisations of WAAA and that they adhere to all these regulations, procedures, and standards established;

DECLARES that no National Adoption Board may establish regulations, procedures, protocols, or standards regarding intercountry adoption that are contradictory or additional to those established by WAAA;

FORBIDS WAAA from establishing standards, protocols, and procedures that could reasonably be construed to be discriminatory (e.g. disallowing an intercountry adoption based on the prospective adopter's, or child's, nationality, race, gender, sexuality, or marital status), unless there are compelling practical reasons to do so;

PROSCRIBES the transfer of children by member nations to non-member nations in an effort to circumvent any facet of this resolution;

OUTLAWS the practice of buying children, in which financial or in-kind payments are exchanged to ensure an individual receives a child, however;

ACKNOWLEDGES that, in the case of adoption processes, some reasonable fees may be charged by National Adoption Boards, and/or their domestic affiliates, for expenses incurred during the adoption process.
Please vote: For | Against | Abstain | Present

"Abstain" means that you wish for the Delegate to not vote on the resolution at all.
"Present" means that you effectively choose not to participate in this vote. "Present" has no effect on how the Delegate votes.

Posts which do not include an explicit and unambiguous vote are not counted in the tally.

Ministry vote recommendation: For

Ministry Review
Written by Sciongrad

This proposal addresses an issue that is genuinely internatonal by nature. Intercountry adoption policy cannot possibly be formulated in an efficient manner by individual nations. A prospective parent in one nation would need to deal with different protocols and regulations when dealing with adoption agencies in separate nations in the absence of a uniform process like the one that this proposal seeks to establish. Coordinating activities in such a way that could not otherwise be accomplished by individual member nations or groups of member nations as a major responsibility of the World Assembly, and this proposal does so well.

In addition to regulating adoption procedures, the proposal takes strong measures to ensure the adoptees' welfare. Adopted children are effectively protected from discrimination, abuse, and trafficking. Protection of children's well-being is another area where it is important for the World Assembly to take legislative action, and therefore another reason to support this resolution.

proposal:
FORBIDS WAAA from establishing standards, protocols, and procedures that could reasonably be construed to be discriminatory (e.g. disallowing an intercountry adoption based on the prospective adopter's, or child's, nationality, race, gender, sexuality, or marital status), unless there are compelling practical reasons to do so;

PROSCRIBES the transfer of children by member nations to non-member nations in an effort to circumvent any facet of this resolution;

1. What compelling practical reasons for discrimination would be justified??

2. Would this resolution prohibit ANY intercountry adoption between member and non-member states? Or only such adoptions as are "in an effort to circumvent" the resolution? What adoptions would be allowed or disallowed by this rule?

1. The addition of compelling practical purpose was necessary when the extant resolution CoCR is taken into consideration. Typically most resolutions that forbid discrimination in certain areas include the compelling practical purpose provision.

One such compelling practical purpose would be the denying of inter-special adoption, such as a pack of sapient wolves looking to adopt a human child. Denying based solely on their species would be discriminatory, however the practical issues that arise in such an arrangement are compelling enough, at least to me, to disallow the adoption.

2. No, the resolution would not prohibit such intercountry adoptions. The addition of that clause is to ensure member nations do not try to evade the restrictions imposed by the resolution by transferring children to non-member nations, keeping the same standards imposed on it by WAAA.

It's also there so member nations don't transfer children to non-member nation states in an effort to get around the outlawing of selling children.

I think this is an area where legislation is warranted, and the draft addresses the relevant issues very well. The fact th, at the author is in the RA, and also from our ally the IDU, gives me more reasons to support.

So I vote For.

Also, to avoid confusing, this won't go to vote until tomorrow. But as the resolution currently at vote is well on its way to pass, we can start discussing this one early

Would intercountry adoption with a non-member state that does not have a National Adoption Board and does not follow WAAA regulations be proscribed?

We can't legislate for non-member states. However, to answer your question, my writing of the proposal, and as such my reading of the proposal, to get around (i.e. to not adhere to) WAAA-standard regulations would be to circumvent the resolution, which is proscribed.

I'm fully supportive of this. I know how long this was worked on and watched it keenly. Definitely giving it my blessing.

On full consideration I support this resolution as written, although I do have lingering concerns regarding the non-members clause, I think that by and large things should be fine.

2-0-0 For, I voted accordingly shortly after this went to vote. Ministry recommendation and IFV have also been published.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back