PaulWall For Attorney General Exploratory Thread!?!?

RandPaul.png

Hello everyone,

I have been on NationStates since March and my Home Feeder region of TNP since then as well. When I first joined the forum I was content to join the RA and kind of take it slow and feel everyone out but then something magical happened: during the last AG election Democratic Donkeys nominated me (abiet it was a joke/troll nomination but still) and my 10 hour campaign thread ended up being a bust because the court ruled the ECs improperly reopened nominations so well yeah my dreams got dashed. And that folks is how my infatuation with the office of AG began.

I think the current AG Chasmanthe has done a good job publicly as far as I can tell (obviously I am not privy to what goes on behind the scenes of the AGs office) and I have no TNP or NS experience as a RP lawyer. Since TNP does not have a RP Police/Investigation unit I see the Attorney General as the top Law Enforcer so to speak of TNP. It is the AGs job to investigate criminal complaints or delegate it out to a Deputy prosecutor and file an indictment if they feel it warrants it and either try the case or appoint a prosecutor to try the case. IRL I took a Criminal Justice course in high school through my local career technical school where I was a Lieutenant in my class and had my own squad of cadets under my charge -- I guess that is where my rule lawyering comes in - and my intrest in the AGs office. I think it would be fun to RP a Lawyer and I love the Constibillocode and would investigate any allegations of the criminal code being violated.

Also, since the last AGs race I have been given emmense opportunities here as a Deputy Speaker and Deputy Cabinet Minister in r3ns cabinet under Home Affairs Minister Democratic Donkeys. I really enjoy getting to work in those rolls. Obviously if elected I would have to give those spots up. I guess I am just looking for support or general commentary. If I should toss my hat into the ring this time or just bide my time and keep doing what I am doing as I like it as well and just try next time.

Would anyone vote for me?

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Do you even liberty bro?

An attorney general needs to be decisive and have the courage of convictions. Therefore run, or don't run as YOU choose.

Don't decide whether to run based on a focus group.

You don't do anything that is remotely original. I was the one who made the exploratory committee thing, and it worked for me, it doesn't mean it will for you. :P

I didnt have you in mind when I made this. Nor humor really. I tried the lulz/troll approach last time. This time it was just an OOC appeal/commentary from the heart. I just clicked on "create new topic" and typed from the heart. But If I was going to imitate someone that Democratic Donkeys guy is a pretty rad fella' to try and copy. Imitation and parody is a sincere form of flattery.

Do you feel the AG should be obliged to prosecute every charge brought to trial, or should they have discretion?

I assume the AG investigates every complaint for merit - either does it their self or doles it out to a Deputy AG. So if an investigation into the evidence merits it being brought to trial then certainly. However if it is something taken out of context such as someone saying "I am going to coup!" And it being part of a larger joke in context or something equally flippant then yes I feel the AGs office should have that discretion. The Courts should only hear cases when a crime has actually likely been committed and not have their time wasted.

In my time here I have also noticed the court tends to prosecute cases I feel they have no jurisdiction over, this may be controversial and lose me a potential nomination (as I have not declared or been nominated yet) - but the courts seemed clogged with cases of citizens accused of crimes in other regions. Bottom line if the crime did not happen in TNP we shouldnt prosecute. Certianly if the aggrieved region wants to prosecute we should certianly extradite and turn over any evidence we have to that regions prosecutors.

I am okay with it as I feel that may send the wrong message to potential voters, unless it is a metaphor on the state of the regional judical system that as you yourself asked Chief Justice and Judical Candidate SillyString if the court systems have fallen into a state of potentially being used as a tool for petty people (paraphrase Democratic Donkeys - http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/single/?p=8148888&t=7210831) and it is time to elect an AG who will agressively pursue cases which have merit. If it is such a metaphor then I welcome such youtubes though I would caution posting them at your own risk as that may be constituted as vulgar or obscene postings by forum mods or admins. But you'd have to consult them as I am more concerned with our role play legal code laws.

Your post on the regional HQ says you won't let the law be shredded by thugs. Who are these thugs and do people want you to stop them?

You say that sedition jokes are not sedition, but doesn't that mean only humorless criminals will be prosecuted? Without a sense of humour how can they ever thrive?

Its all about intent is is not? Even in RL what determines the severity of a crime is intent judges often dismiss cases for lack of intent of the accused. Or a slap on the wrist.

The thugs - are hypothetical - anyone who may violate the criminal code. My campaign advertisement committee made those jingles sayings and buzzwords up.

Also, can you make a thread, youve asked me and Treize some questions, now Id like to ask you some. :)

"My campaign advertisement committee made those jingles sayings and buzzwords up." Uhhhhhhhhhhh. Not the best thing to say when running for office, if you're running on a very serious platform

1. You recently made quite a serious cock-up acting as deputy speaker because you acted when, as you said, you did not know the procedures. That's serious enough in the speaker's office but would be a disaster in an attorney general. You are a relatively inexperienced candidate. Can we expect more of the same?

2. I look for a certain integrity, honesty and openness in the judicial department. How well does that describe you?

Don't you have enough positions? You recently resigned from the position of Communications because you weren't happy with your articles being edited. In my opinion, this was necessary because they were not always well formatted and on the long side. Do you think this is a concern for an Attorney General, in that you need to be able to get your point across in a clear manner.

I'm also concerned as I feel that you have been inflaming tensions on the forum recently, this wouldn't be a wise thing to do for an Attorney General. That isn't really a question, more of a general statement, but I'd like a response all the same.

1. You recently made quite a serious cock-up acting as deputy speaker because you acted when, as you said, you did not know the procedures. That's serious enough in the speaker's office but would be a disaster in an attorney general. You are a relatively inexperienced candidate. Can we expect more of the same?

There is a lot of discretion as far as a Speaker or a Deputy in how to handle matters in the abscense of any clear mandated procedure. 2. The issue I was having was technical with the options of the forum. 3. There were two conflicting motion one to split out percieved off topic posts and one to leave them in. 4.someone else had taken split out posts and put them with other posts and erronously moved them. 5. I agreed they should be put back and have them reevaulated. 6. With some help I got things put back to normal a. That would have been easier had 4. Not occured. 7. The speaker reevaulated and took care of it.

8. As far as following procedures in the AGs office I have been re reading up on the constibillocode, court opinions, and whatever threads are public in the AGs office to see how the layout of offical paperwork I.E. indictments are presented. 9. It would be my goal that any deputies appointed to the AGs office we would all review cases together and write up the indictments and offical paperwork together, I hope that would avoid any learning limitations someone would have and make up for any kind of real life english/writing problems they may have. And the electorate would not take enexperience or lack of writing syntax due to RL learning issues and hold it against them.

2. I look for a certain integrity, honesty and openness in the judicial department. How well does that describe you?

I also believe in those things, all good AGs should be trustworthy honest and have integrity. An AG should be honest not only is this a gimme it is also in our legal codes fraud and gross misconduct for lying while in offical capacity, in the courts, or withholding information. Though an AG is chief Prosecuter and should take alleged violations of the criminal code seriously they should remember the addage of 'innocent until proven guilty' and if they recieved evidence that suggested an accused indivdual was innocent they should immediately turn it over to defense counsel and the court. Also, in case of COI or maybe even a percieved one where no actual one may or may not exist it would probably be prudent to recuse oneself and allow an alternate to step in.

Don't you have enough positions?

As I said in my OP. I would resign from any other appointed positions and solely concentrate on the Attorney Generals Office. However I find it funny, that it does seem certain "veteran players" can hold multiple positions in character government as well as outside of gameplay I.E. forum moderation and Administration. But if a newer player wishes to get as involved as they wish then suddenly it is "whoa wait a minute, don't you have enough' it could be argued the same argument should be applied to older players alike. However what is good for the goose seems to not always be good for the gander around here. Anyway, this appears to be blurring OOC and running for an IC position to defend the criminal code of our game play.

As far as a newspaper which I also feel is off topic. I attempted to write articles for an offical government newspaper and I simply found that I personally didnt like it. It was not any fault of any setups just my personal tastes

I'm also concerned as I feel that you have been inflaming tensions on the forum recently, this wouldn't be a wise thing to do for an Attorney General. That isn't really a question, more of a general statement, but I'd like a response all the same.

This I feel is totally bringing out of game issues and opinions up and in no way is germane to someone running for an in character position of role play government.

But I will try to answer:

Whether I am wrong or right in my perceptions - from reading everything on the public areas of the forum. I feel notice I said I feel. Feelings are different from knowledge. But I perceive the Admins have difficulty from time to time seperating what is IC dissent and gameplay and their own IC gameplay goals and aims from administering users. My personal opinion - admins assure me this isnt the case. So take it FWIW.

As for the Flem/Roman thing you are reffering to. What started this was certian satire articles IC against an IC state religion. (From reading these I did not see anything personally inherently wrong with them) I was told by him he was facing admin disciplin for these articles. Which I felt was wrong. - Admin said it wasnt for the articles. Only admin and possibly Roman himself know the truth so idk. I do feel things could be handled more professionally on all sides.

As I said I may be in the minority but I feel sometimes admins may let IC or even personal bias affect admin decision making. Everyone at some point has bias. Again this is my personal opinion based on my personal perception. If this is not the case so be it take my opinion FWIW or dont. Take the critism or dont.

In the future when OOC is blurring with IC gameplay I will just shut up and not rush to defend someone who I feel is an underdog and not getting a fair deal.

All I saw were satire articles - from those satire articles I did not feel the situation warranted the response it did.

But these OOC feelings I would hope should not affect IC gameplay or an IC candidacy.

Anyway that is all I wish to say on the matter. Thank you for your questions.

My point was that you have been involved in a lot of areas at once (Deputy Speaker, Deputy Minister of Home Affairs), Communications, NP and how willing you were to move on from those areas. Given that some projects may be at varying levels of completion.

My point about the newspaper is relevant. Articles were edited as they were often long winded and not well formatted. As an Attorney General, you will need to be clear and to the point when handling cases. Especially when the Court is in session. Do you think this will be an issue for you?

As Attorney General you would be responsible for bringing charges against people who have violated the law. We have had issues in the past, with individuals being accused of leading witch-hunts that fall outside of the law and for inflaming tensions. I do not think this would be a wise thing for an Attorney General to do. This is an in-character matter. It is not out of character at all. I never suggested that you shouldn't defend someone. Only that, in my opinion, certain actions led to those tensions escalating further than was necessary.

And for the record, I have not seen any admin bias recently. The Administration team take their positions seriously and do work very hard to keep their IC and OOC responsibilities seriously.

As far as IC and OOC goes and my perception of things. I will try my best to better understand the issues and trying to put my personal perceptions in check. As people can percieve the same situation differently.

As for making cases in court as it comes to posting arguments. I will heavily dive into the governing documents of our region, court decisions and when arguing the facts of the case try to be clear and concise as possible. Also, I feel a good AG should consult with their deputies and have a clear case focus, so I would vet good players who I feel have a stong basis of TNP law to help me in the AGs office and to help craft arguments. Picking a good team I feel will neutralize any personal shortcomings on my part. I honestly Love this region. I enjoy law and arguing law and id like to prosecute violators. So I will earnestly try to do my best and do what I feel will best represent the Government as Chief Prosecuter in Court of Law. Thanks for the questions Mcm.

My Campaign Staffers have been sent home early in observance of a RL holiday - Independence day. So this office will be closed for the remainder of the day. You may still pose questions. However keep in mind they may not be answered promptly.

With that said the campaign PR department would like te release this new campaign slogan:

Do you even liberty bro?

Also, this Campaign Ad was scheduled to go out before the office closed for today:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOcVPlo8EHU[/video]
Just replace "Mike DeWine" with PaulWallLibertarian42

Elect me AG - and if repeat violent offenders of the Criminal Code come up for trial again I will do my best to have a thorough investigation and present sound arguments that any new charges will stick!

Also I will crack down on Illegal gambling in TNP!

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4PaojwBsRE[/video]

With elections now opened I'd like to say that when you go to cast your ballot, you can choose the same handful of people to play musical positions and switch off every election. OR you could vote someone new in. Who wants to do a good job and for any lack of experience has great passion and desire to do a good job. (Also, one cannot get experience to one day be part of this handful of constantly elected officals until someone takes a chance on them and gives them the inital opportunity)

In any event, if you decide to not vote for me, I would at least like to thank you for reading my thread and for listening.

Happy Voting!

PaulWallLibertarian42 For Attorney General:
The change we need. The voice we deserve.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5Miemvf3vQ[/video]
A fresh face, a fresh start

*Paid for by the PaulWall4AG campaign, Democratic Donkeys Treasurer.

Thank you for the endorsement capt pegleg. Remember voting is only until July 11th. If any voter who doesnt have a ride to the polls would like to vote my staffers can arrange transportation to the polls located: here. Just let us know.

PWL42 4 AG 2014!

ATTENTION: REGIONAL ASSEMBLY MEMBERS!

Due to recent events, voting for Chasmanthe will be a wasted vote as he has moved his nation out of The North Pacific and is therefore not elligible to stand for election.

I would encourage whoever voted for him to make your vote count by switching to me. Thank you.

If you need a ride to the polls my staffers would be happy to drive you.

Thank you I appreciate you.

Also, If elected AG - I plan on creating a DEPUTY ATTORNEY GENERAL APPLICATION THREAD.

Any one who has intrests in representing the Government of The North Pacific in our adversarial court system is free to apply. Experience in TNP law and previous court room experience a + but tenacity and a drive to be successful in the region will also be considered especially for newer players looking for a break.

Keep that in mind. I dont plan on playing favorites. I will be open and honest in my selection processes and not simply pick the popular players.

A STATEMENT FROM THE CANDIDATE:

Dear fellow TNPers. Firstly I would like to thank those that believed enough in me to vote for me. 12 or 13 votes isnt anything to shake a stick at; I realize the voting was skewed after one candidate dropped out so to speak. Had they stayed in I probably wouldnt have got the votes I recieved nor would TD have gotten some of his votes -- who knows how it would have turned out. The ECs havent released the final count however I am a realist and after counting what is on the election thread I know I am not going to win.

I appreciate everyone who came out onto my thread, I tried to answer the questions as best I could and also attempted to put a little humor into my campaign with advertisements and the like.

I am a new player less than 6 months. I just would like to be successful and contribute to the region. I see great players like r3n, mcmasterdonia, Donkeys, CoE, Zyvet, SillyString, Kiwi, Roman, Flem, et.all. and I endeavor to someday be considered part of that elite class of TNPer.

So if not this time there is always next time. I'll just keep doing what I am doing and hopefully keep making allies and folks will see my potential.

I wish the Justices and the New AG best of luck in their upcoming term!

Cheers!

Back