Forum image sizes

Flemingovia

TNPer
-
-
It happened to me again. I posted an image which was absolutely fine on my browser (chrome), but on another user's browser looked huge. Fortunately this time it was Asta not Romanoffia who noticed the image and she was far more gracious about it.

Abbey pointed out THIS THREAD (CLICKY) on the NS forums concerning oversized images.

Can someone more technically savvy than me work out what is suddenly happening, and what can be done about it?

Something to consider.

In our current forum rules, we have a limit for signature sizes involving images. The rule illustrates with a graphic the size limit, so if your browser magnifies the image size on screen, it will show the rule's graphic of the size limits the same way,

Perhaps we need to adopt a forum rule, with a graphic, to limit image sizes to avoid messing up the screen width of images in threads. Then people will have something to compare against as far as how images appear in threads.

The easiest way to prevent over-sized image is to size them with no greater than 650 pixels in width to not bust certain browsers or suck up too much bandwidth.

flcwv8.jpg

This is a good size that doesn't run the chance of busting format either by image or file size.

Most OSs have an image viewing/editing program that lets you crop or resize images, or there are heaps of freeware programs that can do the same.

I think there's a browser issue at play here - the image Flem originally posted looked completely fine and small to him, but on my screen it was gigantic.

It is largely a browser issue.

You should be able to pull up on this forum type the states of what browsers are being used and the screen size settings.

Incidentally, in most browsers, you can set the maximum size of images and automatically force a re-size. You can actually modify the code on IF/ZB forums to limit the max size appearance of images. Brows their help forum as I'm sure it has been discussed there.

The size of images are measured by pixel size. Sites keep images using pixel size. We cannot control how apparently large a pixel size is for a particular user on a particular computer using a particular browser. Many browsers allow the user to adjust the size of the material on a web page (Firefox uses a percentage of 100 percent, and in my case, with my eyes and my notebook, I tend to use about 150 percent of normal.) But Windows also allows adjustment of material on its screen,for all programs, and that can also be a factor in how large images may appear.

Using an image size limit is probably the best way to address the problem, and alerts people that if the maximum permitted images appear too large on their computer screen, they probably need to adjust their settings in their OS and their browser to address the problem.

Back