Roman's Historica Trivia: Bet you didn't know this!

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
I found this goodie - the melody/lyrics of the the tune used for "The Star Spangled Banner" - "Anacreontic in Heaven".

And it is in keeping with the recent use of the upside-down US Flag jpg used on this forum (which, if I didn't have a sense of humour and irony I might object to. :P ).

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l-n64NWHS4[/flash]

Here's the short story behind this song:

It was a popular drinking song at houses of ill repute in Britain and the American Colonies. The song was largely part of a drinking game in which people were dared to sing the song as the drinking progressed. This becomes difficult as drinking progresses because the song requires the singer to have a range that covers the better part of three octaves which is difficult for most of the best singers.

If you listen to the lyrics and know the mythological references, it is quite, well, vulgar, but put in nice terms. :P

Allegedly, while being held prisoner on a British ship during the war of 1812 while the Brits were bombarding Baltimore, the British Sailors were singing this while intermittently communicating with ship-board prostitutes, Key thought it ironic to set his words to this tune.

Now here's the twisted part - the United States is the only country in the world to use a whorehouse drinking song as its national anthem. :w00t: :cheese:

And the irony is not lost. :horror: :facepalm: :winner:

Oh, crap. LOL!

:lol:

I would explain it, but I'd get severely castigate for doing so as it would require some interesting use of the English language! :w00t:

Back