Why I am thnking about leaving this region after nearly 12 years

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
I have received a clear threat from Forum Administration. That threat involves 'adverse administrative action' if I do not turn over the contents of my Private Messages on this forum. Read the Admin post concerning this matter here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7204614/1/#new.

As a matter of principle and a matter of my right to privacy in private communications, and in deference to the rights of others who communicated with me on various RP and IC matters, as well as OOC matters, I refuse to turn over these Private Messages to anyone.

The very fact that the forum Administration is making such a demand of me shows that there is something very wrong with this forum. Demanding the contents of Private Messages is an act of dictatorial force and coercion, something that this forum and region has so long pledged to fight against. It is also a sign that administrative action can be taken against individuals who refuse to go along with railroading a defendant in the Court of TNP as well as a clear and present threat to anyone who has or will take an open or private opinion against making "Flemingovianism" the "Official State Religion" of The North Pacific.

In recent events, I have been verbally abused by all manner of obscenity by Flemingovia, the self proclaimed "God" of the co-called religion of "Flemingovianism". He has referred to me using all manner of vulgar and obscene anatomical references relating to female and male genitalia over several posts and several threads. This was permitted to continue in a manner that would not have been extended to any regular, non-admin/non-moderator member of this forum's community.

The harassment has continued in the form of 'format busting' images being posted in my "TNP Free Press" thread in the Agora, and which posts served the only and singular purpose of disrupting a thread. We have seen this type of disruption being tolerated and even encouraged by admin/moderation refusal to act in order to prevent such trollery. It seems that some people can do what they want and others get piled on for doing what is right, mainly trying to maintain order or calling for order and civility. Again, some people get away with it because of their Administrative position on this forum, by that I mean mainly Flemingovia.

It had become apparent that game-play and role-playing is being directly affected by Administrative threats should one speak out against something that is so wrong in terms of game-play and in a more concise manner, real life.

In The North Pacific in terms of honorable game play, we have always assumed our so-called "Bill of Rights" right to 'freedom of religion' meant that players, IC, would be free from having their 'religious practices' interfered with and curtailed by the institution of an "Official State Religion". Yet, here we see a bill being voted on in the RA that will create an "Official State Religion" out of "Flemingovianism". And yet, some people are so ignorant and willing to vote for such a state of affairs to be made Law.

The second worse part about it all is that the so-called and self proclaimed "God" of this religion is our very own Fleminingovia, who, incidentally is one of the forum Adminstrators. Then it comes to our attention that said "God" and Admin uses vulgar and obscene language and references as well as format breaking images to silence the one outspoken critic of his planned 'Theocracy' over The North Pacific.

The first worst part about it all is that forum administration is demanding that I turn over to them all of my PMs in a manner that would expose any and all people who oppose the idea of an "Official State Religion" so they too can be targeted as I have been. I have a duty in the name of the Right to Privacy in private communications, not only mine but even in the name of those who have threatened me to 'shut up and sit down' as well as 'convict JAL or else'. I will not violate their rights to privacy.

The very fact that this forum and government had descended into allowing forum administration to demand that Private Messages be turned over to them under threat of 'adverse administrative action' is something everyone here should be not only disgusted by but also in fear of ever happening.

The greatest threat to this forum is not refusing to turn over Private Messages and violate the right to privacy of myself and others. The greatest threat to this forum, and for that matter, this region, is the very fact that Forum Administration can threaten individuals with 'adverse administrative action' if they do not submit to such a disgusting and reprehensible request. It is a clear violation of the Administration's self-proclaimed position that they do not interfere with RP or the regional 'government'. Yet, they are so willing to do so when one of their own, mainly Flemingovia, has gone over the edge in terms of enforcing his own 'state religion' to the point of using administrative action to silence RP opposition to such a reprehensible idea as an 'official state religion'.

And that is the root of all of this: Resist an administrator who creates his own religion over which he is the self-proclaimed "God" and not even your private messages are safe. And if you refuse to comply, a bandwagon will side with him an engage in 'adverse administrative action' in order to attempt to coerce you into bowing down to the "Flemingovia God" or face being possibly "purged" for no other offense than refusing to comply with an RP crackpot religion.

I have served this region faithfully since the creation of this region in one 'incarnation' or another. I can safely say that I have been here the longest out of anyone here or anyone here in NS. And now I get spit on my forum administration for all my efforts by their demands to violate the Right to Privacy we have always assumed we had but they now declare null and void under penalty of 'adverse administrative action'.

If you think it won't affect you, think again. You have no Right to Privacy by declaration of what is demanded of me. In fact you have no rights at all except to bow down to a whack-job self-proclaimed "GOD" or face 'adverse administrative action'. This is the murder of Role Playing and it is the murder of our region.

I implore all of you who have a sense of honor and a sense of what is right to stand up for your rights and not allow anyone to be forced to submit to a scheme designed to force a load of 'state religion' on you in the game or force you to submit to that which you have always viewed as your inviolable rights.

As a result of the present deplorable situation on this forum where free speech and privacy are being in fact abridged by such dictatorial administrative demands, I am seriously considering leaving this region. This is not even something I considered even when we had the likes of the various rogue and usurping delegates that we have suffered through in the past.

I am asking the good people left in this region to take a stand and stand up for what you believe in and not let anyone steal it from you. This is your region, not Flemingovia's and the supporters of his 'Religion'. This is not a region in which forum administration supports a rogue administrator who is getting away with violating his duties as an administrator.

I ask you all to petition the forum administrators to remove Flemingovia as an admin and stop this blatant interference with the Role Playing in the name of a 'state religion' and refuse to be silenced any longer. Be humans, not sheep. Take this region back before it falls apart or worse, falls into the coming 'religious' dictatorship of a self-proclaimed "God" who happens to be one of the protected class of Administrators.

The admin team was asking that you had over the screenshots you claimed to have about Flemjngovias continued inappropriate behaviour towards you. If we don't know where the issues are we can't address them.

Please keep comments on this matter to either this thread or the other. We don't need to carry the same arguments across multiple threads.

This is an appropriate place for a public statement on this matter for all to see.

As a matter of principle, I will not be coerced into providing the contents of Private Messages to forum administration. We have always had the right to privacy in our PMs and no one will coerce me into giving in on that matter.

The thread to which I linked illustrates in no uncertain terms that I have been threatened by the Administration to turn over Private Messages, in violation my my privacy and the privacy of others, or face "adverse administrative action". Sounds like a threat to me.

What has this forum come to when Admins can threaten people to turn over their private messages or else? What next? The emails on our home computers? This demand on the part of forum administration is a violation of real life civil liberties and a violation of the supposed 'rights' to privacy in our private communications we have always had up to this point.

Again, the admin thread I referenced is a threat and everyone should be very scared at the idea of such a threat.

We aren't asking for PMs you said you had screenshots of incidents where Flem had abused you and no action was taken. That is what we are asking for.

Seriously Roman, take a step back and look at this. You're making serious allegations. How is it so unreasonable for the admin team to ask you to back them up? Otherwise it looks a lot like the sort of harassment and defamation which they would have to address, with "adverse administration action".

You've claimed to act as a magistrate, right? You wouldn't take a completely unsubstantiated claim by either side seriously, would you? Would you not admonish them for constantly going back to a point which they have absolutely no evidence for?

It is what it is.

Flemingovia gets away with stuff that no one else is allowed to get away with. I consider being called obscene words harassment. I'm sure if anyone called Flem any of the terms he called me, they would get in a heap of trouble.

Again, I will not turn over anything that originates from Private Messages as a matter of preserving the right to privacy of private communications. I will have nothing to do with establishing a precedent where they can be coercively obtained.

and, to repeat what other admins have said:

Nobody is asking for any private messages. I do not think the post from the admin team even mentioned private messages.

It specifically refers to mentioned evidence that exists only private messages. Viz: McM is asking for screen shots and specifically as a course of this discussion, it is Private Messages that contain what you people are demanding I reveal. You know that, so please don't try to dance around it.

It also specifically makes claims of 'adverse administrative action' if I do not turn over evidence that has already been established as existing in PMs. Every admin and everyone on this board knows that it involves the contents of Private Messages.

Admin action may be taken when a forum user continually badgers and makes threats against other parties.

Allegations which have nothing to support them are just that, allegations. They remain baseless accusations until the team has something to look at.

Making repeated baseless accusations across multiple threads has, in the past, been construed as badgering and harassment. This type of behavior is a warnable offense. This means the member's warning level would increase by a 10% increment.

It is hardly the end of the world.

Roman,

I implore you to see sense here and divert from this course before it's too late. From that of an outside observer it seems you're derailing, and I'd really rather you took a step back and saw that before the inevitable crash. 12 years of residence is a lot to piss away on an emotional period of time.

If I may, I was a senior mod on a site a couple of years back, DD can attest to this as he and I have discussed this before. The site user base was in and around double what NS has. It was not uncommon for Moderators when reports of IM harrasment was uncommon to request the user allow us access to their IMs to verify this. A supervisor could do this without requesting it (although all actions were logged) but we always preferred to ask. This is not the case here. You are being asked to provide evidence that your claims exist, this is by coincidence alone in your PMs. It's not the admin asking to see your PMs it's that the only proof you have, just happens to be in there. Please distinguish between the two.

Since the trial, you've been under a lot of pressure, and I get that, but that period has passed and it seems to me that you appear to be making a rod for your own back at this point. I'd strongly suggest if you feel you're not getting anywhere with flem, simply ignore him. But don't destroy that which you hold dear and your credibility in one well swoop either. In short, don't cut off your nose, to spite your face.

I suggest giving the emotions a rest and applying your logical side here, I'm sure you can see you just need to take a step back and reassess. Anything beyond that is a bit excessive.

Just my two cents.

Aba

Abacathea:
Roman,

I implore you to see sense here and divert from this course before it's too late. From that of an outside observer it seems you're derailing, and I'd really rather you took a step back and saw that before the inevitable crash. 12 years of residence is a lot to piss away on an emotional period of time.

If I may, I was a senior mod on a site a couple of years back, DD can attest to this as he and I have discussed this before. The site user base was in and around double what NS has. It was not uncommon for Moderators when reports of IM harrasment was uncommon to request the user allow us access to their IMs to verify this. A supervisor could do this without requesting it (although all actions were logged) but we always preferred to ask. This is not the case here. You are being asked to provide evidence that your claims exist, this is by coincidence alone in your PMs. It's not the admin asking to see your PMs it's that the only proof you have, just happens to be in there. Please distinguish between the two.

Since the trial, you've been under a lot of pressure, and I get that, but that period has passed and it seems to me that you appear to be making a rod for your own back at this point. I'd strongly suggest if you feel you're not getting anywhere with flem, simply ignore him. But don't destroy that which you hold dear and your credibility in one well swoop either. In short, don't cut off your nose, to spite your face.

I suggest giving the emotions a rest and applying your logical side here, I'm sure you can see you just need to take a step back and reassess. Anything beyond that is a bit excessive.

Just my two cents.

Aba
As I said, asking me to reveal information that just happens to be contained in PMs is still asking me to reveal my PMs and private communications with others on this board. It is a matter of principle at this point and given that I have yielded on other matters I have to draw the line somewhere.

It is simply a matter of not having to be subjected to being insulted with vulgarity, repeatedly, on this forum in a manner that goes well beyond the tasteful limits of good taste and general decorum. I care not to repeat the particular words Flemingovia used to describe me nor to go into his display of obscene innuendo as that have been made in public sections of this forum.

If you are going to warn me, then it is only fair that you also warn Flemingovia and not give him a pass on his actions. And this is very relevant to the whole matter. To warn one and not the other is not only unfair but extends a bias towards someone who is an admin by allowing special treatment that is not extended to all or denied to all.

So, if you feel you must warn me for not turning over my Private Messages, then, by all means, do so. Just be aware that it is and will be perceived as an act of deliberate intimidation to force someone into doing something that has always been considered territory not to venture into.

Private Messages are private. They have always been private and never before on this forum has anyone ever been compelled to turn them over by threats of administrative action as this would be bordering on and in many ways exceeding the things TwoSlits pulled on a previous TNP forum.

So, for the record, I am refusing to turn over Private Messages and will no longer discuss this matter publicly or privately unless I need to further defend myself against continued, vulgar bullying on the forum.

Democratic Donkeys:
Blue Wolf II:
Seriously. Are you incapable of making a point succinctly?
My point is that this rant is obscenely long to the point where I have no interest in reading it past the first few sentences. I mean, it just rambles on forever. I thought my short abbreviation, in contrast to Roman's epic tragedy, made my point rather obvious and didn't feel the need to explain it in depth, thinking most people are smart enough to understand without the unneeded commentary. Was I wrong?

Blue Wolf II:
Democratic Donkeys:
Blue Wolf II:
Seriously. Are you incapable of making a point succinctly?
My point is that this rant is obscenely long to the point where I have no interest in reading it past the first few sentences. I mean, it just rambles on forever. I thought my short abbreviation, in contrast to Roman's epic tragedy, made my point rather obvious and didn't feel the need to explain it in depth, thinking most people are smart enough to understand without the unneeded commentary. Was I wrong?
Haha, I was agreeing with you, silly. It was tl;dr for me as well, as most Romanoffia posts are.

I have to agree with tl;dr - I've given up trying to read these posts Roman.

I will say that the Admin/Mod team takes any sort of allegations very seriously. I don't really appreciate any suggestion otherwise. Flem gets told to pull his head in just like everyone else if he steps out of line. In fact, despite some of your comments which you have not apologised for, Flem has apologised to you for his comments.

McMasterdonia is quite often the voice of leniency or the middle ground in these sorts of disputes (at least in my opinion). You will notice that even his posts seem to reflect the fact he is losing his patience.

I don't speak for the admin/mod team obviously in what I have said. This is just how i feel.

Nierr:
And what a loss for the region that is.
And without me, who would keep you under control?

:kiss:

You know, seriously, you have potential. You only need to be given a proper direction. You know, Chaos for constructive purposes with a specific direction. Send me your resume.

Back