Not the Speaker
-
Pronouns
He/Him
TNP Nation
Olvern
Discord
lordnwahs
A more RL topic for discussion, given that the show is about politics and all.

Most of us seem to have varied and very strong personal opinions about politics, both in NS and in real life. But has any one of you ever thought of seeking political office, or getting into the political arena in one way or another in real life?

I personally can't say much, given I'm not even in University/College, but getting into politics in Singapore seems like a buzzkill. It seems like the kind of thing that will suck the living soul out of oneself.

I used to consider it when I was in high school, but I quickly became disillusioned with Greek politics and lost any interest.

The American political scene is a lot more exciting. But, in addition to it not being more appealing to me than my current career, there's also the minor hurdle that I'm not a citizen :P .

r3naissanc3r:
I used to consider it when I was in high school, but I quickly became disillusioned with Greek politics and lost any interest.

The American political scene is a lot more exciting. But, in addition to not been more appealing to me than my current career, there's also the minor hurdle that I'm not a citizen :P .
I can only imagine your disillusionment. Do you think it can change for the better?

Sometimes I toy with the idea of becoming an American so I can one day run for elected office there.

The obvious problem would be getting elected xD

I wouldnt mind trying for something local. Township Trustee. Uhm. County Commissioner - I have a very specific goal in mind for that. Small town politics if you can be bothered to be bored for about a half paragraph or so.

Here our county fair is ran by the fair board think of Eluigarchy/IRCabal running a county fair. Greedy. Only doing it to be "look at me I run the County Fair". The chairpersons of the FB answer to the County Commissioners. For the last 20-30 years it has been the same families have ran the fair. Quite frankly ran it into the ground. Fairs historically were about agraculture and they are very snobbish to the 4-H kids. Which are the back bone of county fairs. Any events we get at the fairgrounds they get greedy and run them off. Recently the Southern Ohio Poultry Association who have had events out there for as long as I can remember. They hold a twice a year swap day. Where vendors set up various booths and farmers and breeders come to sell and trade their livestock. Where we got many of our birds. The fair got lots of money from this with fees and whatnot. People from states away would come to this bringing money into the local economy. Staying in local hotels. Shopping and eating at our local business. The fairboard got greedy and demanded even more money so the swap moved to another ajoining county. We went to the swap there. Their facilities were 1000% better. Our fair keeps declining. To the point I want to go to this other countys fair now. Or usually we just save our money and go to the State fair.

So Id run for County Commish and exercise our oversite and challenge the good ol boy system and the status quo oligarchy to get the fairboard replaced with folks who care about the community and not their own gains.

I have run for local political office - unsuccessfully. I also started a PAC that was instrumental in getting a slate of candidates elected to local office. It was a crapload of work and our guys lasted only one term before being replaced by the entrenched and corrupt party bosses' picks. They cheat and stuff the ballot boxes, filling out piles of absentee ballots themselves. They have government officials in their pockets, from the Election Commissioner who "lost" the evidence, to the DA who refused to investigate the charges. Plus, the amount of theft from the public coffers is unbelievable - even at the local level millions of dollars go missing. I can only assume the state and federal government's windfalls must be breathtaking. We did manage to get one lowly business manager indicted, but the people pulling the strings are still running the show.

I have been involved in politics for a long time, but never as an elected official (although my wife has been one). I work more behind the scenes getting others elected, speech writing, campaign management etc.

Yes, I am Josh Lyman.

Of course, my goal in life and dream is to become a president, but here in Arabic countries its impossible so i am turning into a revolution.

Lord Nwahs:
I can only imagine your disillusionment. Do you think it can change for the better?
It's hard to tell. Improvement is being hindered considerably by the fact that a very large portion, if not the majority by now, of the talented youth migrates out of the country. So politics have to draw from the little that's left behind, which is... not great :P .

Thelord444:
Of course, my goal in life and dream is to become a president, but here in Arabic countries its impossible so i am turning into a revolution.
Be careful with your words, you'll never know who's hearing...

I would love to be involved in real politics. I actually just returned from a camp on American government sponsored by the American Legion. It was very exciting but a bit stressful. I'm sure real politics is a hundred times worse. :P

"I wanted to be significant"

I would like to join politics in real life, one day. When the time is right. I think good politicians need to have real life experience in order for them to make informed choices. Too many people these days go straight from the Ivy League schools to a career in politics. Politics is all they have known and the main job they've had.

My Mother has been elected to public office before and she held that position for some time. She became very frustrated with the fact that partisanship would often stand in the way of progress and reform. The fact that point scoring was more important than creating a better society.

I am involved in politics. I've run for office before and will again. I think politiking is the thing I am best at. When I ran in 2010 it was like breathing than work - lots of fun. I was an unknown candidate, but did well. Lost, but I lost to a local legend who decided to run at the last minute, I feel I could win in the future.

I write political columns and from time to time appear on political talk shows. NationStates politics aren't as evolved as RL politics. Rather, present NS politics aren't as evolved. Yesteryear NS was much more intriguing.

Back