House of Cards theme week

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
In the past, a few regions have organized "theme events": for some period of time, some combination of the government, forum, and individual forum accounts are edited to include references to some real-world theme, usually a movie or TV series. I have seen such events in TRR (Harry Potter), Equilism (it's larger scale there, with the government re-themed every term, currently after Game of Thrones), and TNI (H.P. Lovecraft lore). I believe we've also had something analogous but at a smaller scale here in TNP, in the form of "pirate days". I always found such theme events entertaining, and I believe that they provide a welcome change from the forum routine.

With this in mind, I have been considering holding such a theme week event here in TNP. I think the American House of Cards series would be a good fit, given that: 1) it is popular among many of our members; 2) easily recognizable even among not fans; and 3) it suits the intense political atmosphere of our forum government (though obviously we don't go to such extents as kill people who don't vote for our bills).

The event would involve the following:
  • Members of the Cabinet and other regional officers will change their avatars to their counterparts in the House of Cards universe.
  • We would adopt temporary new seals for the Ministries, with some imagery from House of Cards and appropriate quotes from Kevin Spacey's character, Frank Underwood.
  • Certain images of the forum skin would be changed to visual elements from House of Cards.
  • There would be a special forum section for House of Cards discussion and games, analogous to those we have for festivals.
I was hoping that we could organize this event this coming week, June 9-15, but because of my RL trip I had to delay planning. We can probably hold it the week after that, June 15-21.

Let me know what you think, both in terms of the concept in general (worth it? not worth it?), and details about how it should be organized.

That sounds like something that can be really fun!

As Cultural Minister, I'd definitely push for some sort of House of Cards themed RPing to take place. The question is obviously whether we constantly RP as House of Cards-ish people, or we limit RPing to a single thread. We should also make sure every cabinet member is familiarised with the roles.

I think themed spam threads could be a thing as well. Time for me to get back to my game! (winks at McMasterdonia)

For the government, I would prefer that we do not constantly post IC. The region can't stop running for a whole week. I would keep it to seals and mottos, and then each Minister can decide on their own how much to act IC in their "unofficial" posts.

However, you are welcome to start any House of Cards RPs within the roleplay section. Perhaps a fanfic thread rewriting season 1 and/or 2, or one advancing the plot from where season 2 stopped (think of it as TNP-version season 3).

Themed spam threads should definitely take place.

I always wanted to make ribs.

This is like the best idea for a spam thread already - turning the North Pacific Bar and Grill into Freddy's BBQ Joint.

We were also considering Linda Vasquez for COE, but I think Tom Hammerschmidt is better, both of them being Chief Editors.

Also, hey what can I say, I get lamest President of the United States ever Garrett Walker :P .

The question now is where can anyone possibly find a two-dollar steak? I certainly can't here.

Lord Nwahs:
The question now is where can anyone possibly find a two-dollar steak? I certainly can't here.

In the reduced price section? :P

Some taverns around here advertise 5 dollar steak and chips which includes a drink.

Democratic Donkeys:
mcmasterdonia:
I think Linda is suitable for you DD. As Francis says, she is tougher than a two dollar steak.
Check check check. :tb2:
:tb2:

r3naissanc3r:
r3n: Garrett Walker (sigh :P )
Aba: Jim Matthews
DD: Linda Vasquez
mcm: Catherine Durant
COE: Tom Hammerschmidt
Gladio: Jackie Sharp (because of her status as a marine veteran)
Olvern: Freddy

Zyv: Bob Birch
PaulWall: Terry Womack
And here are some suggestions for quotes:

r3n: "For those of us climbing to the top of the food chain, there can be no mercy."
Aba: "Proximity to power deludes some into believing they wield it."
DD: "Toughter than a two-dollar steak." or " If you want to earn my loyalty, then you have to offer yours in return."
mcm: "I had two choices: Lose face or exhibit strength. I chose the latter."
COE: "There’s no better way to overpower a trickle of doubt than with a flood of naked truth."
Gladio: "It only takes 10 seconds to crush a man's ambitions." or "You might think that, I couldn't possibly comment."
Olvern: "My one guilty pleasure is a good rack of ribs, even at 7:30 in the morning." or "We're part of a Mutual Admiration Society."

Zyv: "Of all the things I place in high regard, rules are not one of them." or "The best thing I like about human beings is that they stack so neatly."

Week is over now. I think it's been quite successful, so well done everyone! But we should probably close it now. Any objections?

If there aren't any, Olvern, do you want to make a closing post?

Also, what do you all think we should do with the threads, archive them or merge them into some other forum area?

I'd put the favourite tv shows thread to the games and arts subforum, but other than that I guess it's okay to archive everything else.

I'll make a closing post when I have the time. Right now, I need to rush out some stuff.

I moved the favourite TV shows and British vs American threads, and asked the admins to archive the rest of the forum. I don't think a closing post is necessary, so don't worry about that.

Seeing the success of this (even Flem liked it :P ), I suggest we hold another theme week in a month from now. We can either decide the theme among ourselves, or open a poll before the next theme week begins and ask people for their preferences.

Back