Disruptive board members.

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
I'm getting a little irritated by the behavior of Mall and TD in this thread: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7193181/1/.

I don't care if its IC trolling or OOC trolling, they are both being arseholes.

I have warned them about violating the rules for that section of the forum pertaining to that particular thread, yet they both insist upon acting like idiots in a most disruptive fashion.

I have also warned them that one more incident from either one of them and I will lock the thread and ask the forum administration to deal with it.

I'm at a loss here. I can only speak for myself but all I've done is follow the Court rules and filed a few motions for dismissal as is my client's right per TNP law. If forum moderation would like to take a look and offer some guidance here I'd be receptive to their comments but I'm going to defend my client within the confines of the laws of TNP and the Board rules, even if that causes headaches for those involved due to the nature of TNP's legal system.

I'd also note that we've both informed Roman that if he were to utilize his power as presiding justice to bar us from the courtroom, we would no longer post there. Until then we feel it is appropriate to defend our client to the utmost.

My personal opinion is that the action undertaken by TD and Mall is not for OOC moderation.

It appears to me to be an IC issue.

punk d:
My personal opinion is that the action undertaken by TD and Mall is not for OOC moderation.

It appears to me to be an IC issue.
Hmm here we go - I was looking for this:

Code:
3. The Chief Justice will administer the rules of the Court. Where no rules exist, the Chief Justice may use their discretion.

I guess it is up to the CJ to whack the issue with discretion?

I have repeatedly tried to do this but Mall and TD constantly insist upon refusing to cooperate with the rules of the Court and the rules of that section of the forum. They insist upon repeating the same exact actions which always arrive at the same result. They have leveled utterly false and unfounded accusations of Bias against the defendant which are patently false. They are essentially trolling the trial thread as a tactic.

Again, I have tried to maintain order there yet they continue to make a mockery out of the Court and the entire legitimacy of the authority of the 'government' to maintain order and enforce the laws and then apply this bullying as a tactic.

I cannot maintain order in the trial thread because TD and Mall refuse to obey the rules there and they will continue to do so because they know no one will do anything to stop them from doing it. And such behavior will spread throughout the forum and them we might as well hang it all up because it will all be over.

I contend that this is a moderation issue because if someone were to pull this garbage elsewhere in the forum it would most likely result in moderation action.

We have rules and unless we enforce those rules, we will have anarchy. Oh, wait, we already have anarchy and it's going to get worse.

I am about to throw my hands up and accept that in terms of game-play that the TNP Court has no ability to do anything and is therefore meaningless unless an end to the bullying, blackmail and disruptive behavior on the part of TD and Mall there be rectified.

They have been allowed to make a mockery of the entire TNP because no one with any actual authority is willing to step in with even so much as a mild warning.

Again, if this sort of disruption in the Court is permitted to continue, it will become a regular tactic and there will no longer be anything resembling a legal system in RP in this region. And then the same thing will happen to the rest of the forum until someone who has the administrative authority stands up and enforces something resembling civility and order.

Nothing the defence counsels have done has come close to requiring administration intervention.

What I am seeing is a trial descending into a pissing contest, where each side is being provocative to the other. Admin tends not to be drawn into stuff like that unless forum rules or TOS are clearly being broken, or there are other issues such as bullying taking place. That is not yet an issue here.

It is not for administration to police or arbitrate trials in TNP. If Romanoffia cannot run the trial in an orderly manner, perhaps another justice should give it a try?

If I could make a suggestion. Why don't you check the thread once every 24 hours for this phase of the trial process Roman? You can respond to each application on its merits in that time and eventually the time will run out. If multiple posts are made that add nothing to the trial you can simply remove them.

I was also under the impression that only one person actively represented a player in a criminal trial but this assumption could be completely wrong. You could always enforce such a rule using your discretion, yes? I don't know if any of this helps.

This seems like the perfect example where a "contempt of court" charge would be appropriate but if I recall such an offence never eventuated.

It would seem that the CJ's discretion would lend itself to requests from administration to limit certain disruptive parties from posting within the Court.

It seems no different than saying that non-NPA members of the RA can't post in their HQ. Or conversely, changing that if the current NPA leadership wished it so.

Romanoffia:
I have repeatedly tried to do this but Mall and TD constantly insist upon refusing to cooperate with the rules of the Court and the rules of that section of the forum. They insist upon repeating the same exact actions which always arrive at the same result. They have leveled utterly false and unfounded accusations of Bias against the defendant which are patently false. They are essentially trolling the trial thread as a tactic.

Again, I have tried to maintain order there yet they continue to make a mockery out of the Court and the entire legitimacy of the authority of the 'government' to maintain order and enforce the laws and then apply this bullying as a tactic.

I cannot maintain order in the trial thread because TD and Mall refuse to obey the rules there and they will continue to do so because they know no one will do anything to stop them from doing it. And such behavior will spread throughout the forum and them we might as well hang it all up because it will all be over.

I contend that this is a moderation issue because if someone were to pull this garbage elsewhere in the forum it would most likely result in moderation action.

We have rules and unless we enforce those rules, we will have anarchy. Oh, wait, we already have anarchy and it's going to get worse.

I am about to throw my hands up and accept that in terms of game-play that the TNP Court has no ability to do anything and is therefore meaningless unless an end to the bullying, blackmail and disruptive behavior on the part of TD and Mall there be rectified.

They have been allowed to make a mockery of the entire TNP because no one with any actual authority is willing to step in with even so much as a mild warning.

Again, if this sort of disruption in the Court is permitted to continue, it will become a regular tactic and there will no longer be anything resembling a legal system in RP in this region. And then the same thing will happen to the rest of the forum until someone who has the administrative authority stands up and enforces something resembling civility and order.
Roman, you *have* the ability to split out any posts that you feel don't belong there. Exercise it! YOU are a moderator. If they continue to post after being told they're not allowed to, then I can see admin being involved, but admin is not here to maintain the authority of the government in the sense that you're talking about.

It feels like you need a break from the asshattery. In all sincerity, go relax for awhile.

I've got a better idea. And one that will make everyone happy with the solution to this problem.

If Mall and TD want to troll the thread, I'm not going to stop them at all. In fact, I am going to encourage them to have at it!

The trial will continue as scheduled and Mall and TD can insult me and make a mockery of the Court to their little hearts' content.

Since I am the CJ, the rules allow me to make up the rules where rules do not exist. So, in the spirit of everyone getting along and giving everyone exactly what they want, I have decided to not care about enforcing order or civility in these proceedings since no one else is concerned with it or will even try to do anything about it. ;)

I have just given the defence everything they could possibly want to turn the trial into their own personal stage to show everyone what they are really about - and all within the granted rules of the Court as written in the Court Rules.

They want to play games? Well, I'm up for playing games. And that way, no one is fighting and everyone is happy! I mean, after all, don't we all want to be happy? :P

This will be the best entertainment of all times any of you will ever see on this forum. Trust me on that one.

Enjoy

That is one way to solve the issue I suppose.

But, when something gives you discretion where no rules exist, that typically means that if the rules don't say something you can actually make rules out of thin air. Your prior justices certainly have done that and I think it would help you in this situation regain control of the courtroom.

This "solution" may work as well but for very different reasons. One thing I'd encourage - try not to take personal their strategies. They want to and will try to make it as difficult for the court to convict JAL which is their duty to their client.

punk d:
That is one way to solve the issue I suppose.

But, when something gives you discretion where no rules exist, that typically means that if the rules don't say something you can actually make rules out of thin air. Your prior justices certainly have done that and I think it would help you in this situation regain control of the courtroom.

This "solution" may work as well but for very different reasons. One thing I'd encourage - try not to take personal their strategies. They want to and will try to make it as difficult for the court to convict JAL which is their duty to their client.
Actually, the new solution is apparently working just fine as Mall said that he is actually looking forward to the trial phase.

I have no problem with the Defence making as difficult for a conviction to be arrived at as long as it's legitimate and not too disruptive. That is the Defence's job. I am a firm believer in the presumption of innocence - remember, it is the prosecution's job to prove the charges and the benefit of a doubt always falls on the side of the Defence. Hence, the principle that charges must be proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

Back