Executive Staff

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
As I mentioned in the Cabinet announcement, I would like to have the Executive Staff set up within the first two weeks of this term. I think we can do it by the weekend, so let's aim for that internally.

The Executive Staff is meant as a one-stop employment center, where people can see all of the ways in which they can contribute to the Executive. By having everything in a single place, we make navigation easier for newcomers, and we can concentrate promotion and advertise to this single forum.

Obviously, you can continue to do targetted recruitment for your Ministries outside the Executive Staff, e.g., by directly talking to your desired appointees through PM or IRC. If possible, I would prefer to have them, once they accept to join your Ministry, post an application inside the Executive Staff. Even though just a formality, it will help to create some activity.

I list below a few issues that need to be sorted out for the set up of the Executive Staff. I discuss my own thoughts on each one of them, but I am also looking for your own opinions and feedback. Also, if you think there is any other issue that should be on this list, please bring it forward.

Membership and services

--Should the Executive Staff be open to everyone with a nation in the region (i.e., citizens), or to RA members only? I am personally torn on this issue and would like to hear your opinions.

On one hand, opening it up to all citizens would allow those who are not interested in legislating, or in maintaining the RA activity requirements, to contribute to the Executive. On the other hand, I am not sure whether we should be diverting attention from the RA in terms of recruitment. By requiring members to be in the RA before joining the Executive Staff, we have a possibly effective way of boosting RA numbers.

As a note, membership in the NPA (which will continue to recruit independently of the Executive Staff) does not have RA membership as a prerequisite. So maybe we can take a hint from there.

--The exact services we will be recruiting for through the Executive Staff depend on the Ministries' needs. In general, any function within your Ministry that can be more effectively performed through contributions by multiple members should be turned into a service, and added to the Executive Staff.

Straightforward cases are the Diplomatic Corps and reporters for The Northern Lights. Home Affairs most likely will need multiple members to act as Mentors (forum welcomers), and can recruit for that from the Executive Staff. Likewise for in-game recruitment in the form of telegrams. Culture can recruit members to help run festivals, or to staff the University.

I will leave the exact details up to the Ministers, but I would like to see each Ministry offering at least one form of employment opportunity. Those you recruit to your staff will then get access to the corresponding joinable groups within your Ministry.

Location and organization

--Regarding location, I would prefer the Executive Staff forum to be as visible as possible, and certainly no deper than first-level subforum (so that a link to it is visible in the index page, on some forum's subforum list).

A few possibilities include: 1) Make the Executive Staff an index-level forum. 2) Move "Registration and Membership" to the index, and make the Executive Staff a subforum of that. 3) Merge "The Docks" and "Registration and Membership", and make the Executive Staff a subforum of that. (As a note, we should probably do this merging anyway, I am not sure why we need a separate sub-forum for the four pinned threads "Registration and Membership" contains.)

Note that, regardless of what we and the admins decide for location, the Executive Staff will be getting one of the three advertisement slots in the newsbox, replacing the Diplomatic Corps.

--Regarding the organisation of the content inside the Executive Staff forum, so far I am considering two possibilities.

The first is that Ministers will be posting separate threads to advertise the various services (and provide description of the duties of course). These threads will be open only to Ministers, who can use them to announce expansions in staff, or just post to bump. Then, there will be a single application thread, where members can apply to join the various services, possibly also rank their preferences, etc.

The second is that there will be separate threads for each service, with the OP being a description and the rest of the posts being members applying to join. While this seems more straightforward, I am worried that we will end up with most people just mindlessly applying for everything.

Ribbons and awards

In my experience from other regions, fancy ribbons and awards are generally effective in encouraging new members to join in, and those who have already joined to continue working. There is also evidence that they are effective in the NPA, where we have been using them for years.

-- Currently, we use the ambassadorial ribbons, which you can see in various members' (e.g., COE's) signatures. I would like to expand see this scheme expanded to the entire Executive Staff. Below are some ideas on how this should be done, but I am also looking for your feedback.

We should probably have different ribbons for each service inside the Executive Staff, and possibly different ribbon versions within each service. For example, ribbons for TNL reporters and correspondents, ribbons for Ambassadors (possibly different from the ones we currently use), ribbons for welcomers, etc.

Visually, I think the ribbons should have both unifying features that would apply to all of the Executive Staff, and characteristics distinguishing among the various services. For example, the ribbons could be short and wide images, where the left half is common among the various version (e.g., TNP logo and the words "Executive Staff"), and the right half is representative of the respective service (e.g., The Northern Lights logo for contributors to the newspaper).

--I would like to see each Ministry recruiting from inside the Execustive Staff give out, say, monthly awards.

These would recognize excellent service by the Staff members. For example, the Ministry of Communications could award their best reporters (both in terms of frequency and quality), Home Affairs could award their hardest working welcomers (by amount of PMs sent), etc. Preferably there should different levels for each award, so that those that win the first level continue to work towards the second, and so on. Their exact nature and number can be discussed separately for each Ministry.

In terms of design, uniformity here probably is not necessary. I am inclined to leave the design up to you and see what you can come up with for your own Ministries.

The awards could come either from the Ministers themselves, or by the Delegate on your recommendation. Alternatively, we could have a second series of more prestigious "Delegate's awards", one for each broad area of the Executive Government, given out at most once per term and preferably towards the end of the term.

Let me know of your thoughts on all of the above.

I think monthly awards might be overdoing. I'd prefer delegate's awards once/term and leave it at that, personally.

I think Executive Staff members should not have to RA members. I think we actually close off recruitment opportunities by forcing that. Saying "to do X you must also do Y" is going to turn people off of getting involved in the forum government. Furthermore, joining the executive staff might allow people who weren't interested in the RA previously (and thus in the forum government at large) might be more exposed to the work of the RA and become interested.

I think it simply doesn't make sense to tie executive staff positions to RA membership.

Executive Staff - I think we could merge The Docks and Registration and Membership. Keeping "The Docks" as the name and then having Executive Staff as the subforum. With your permission r3n, I'll quote the part of your post about the Executive Staff and share that with admin, as I haven't had a chance to follow up on it.

I think we should bring back some form of the Order of Merit. An award granted to TNP citizens for their long and exemplary service to the region. Possibly a discussion for another day.

Fun awards will be handed out by the Ministry of Culture as Lord Nwahs has already suggested he will revive them.

I cannot make ribbons or do anything editing wise other than resize a photo :p. So I will need some help in creating the ribbons. I can probably convince Asta to make some for me. But I'll have to see how we go.

For Communication awards- In TRR they provide a series of ranks and points based on the quality and quantity of the articles produced by an individual editor. I wouldn't want this to conflict with COE's broader assignment style rankings, but it could be used as an additional way of providing support.

Regarding newspaper awards, I think perhaps an award for outstanding journalism might be appropriate on occasion, but not as a regular thing - it would be awarded when someone wrote an article that deserved it.

Alright, responses to the comments so far.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I think Executive Staff members should not have to RA members. I think we actually close off recruitment opportunities by forcing that. Saying "to do X you must also do Y" is going to turn people off of getting involved in the forum government. Furthermore, joining the executive staff might allow people who weren't interested in the RA previously (and thus in the forum government at large) might be more exposed to the work of the RA and become interested.

I think it simply doesn't make sense to tie executive staff positions to RA membership.
I've also come round to this point of view after considering the issue the last few days, in part thanks to discussions with COE. I would still like to hear what other Ministers' opinions are.

Opening up the Executive Staff to those outside the RA will probably require changing the permissions of quite a few forums, mostly in Delegate's Government. I will take a look as a guest and with a test account, to make a list of what changes are required.

mcmasterdonia:
Executive Staff - I think we could merge The Docks and Registration and Membership. Keeping "The Docks" as the name and then having Executive Staff as the subforum. With your permission r3n, I'll quote the part of your post about the Executive Staff and share that with admin, as I haven't had a chance to follow up on it.
Yes, please do so. If we do go for this location scheme, I would also like to see the description of "The Docks" changed appropriately.

What are others' thoughts on the location of the Executive Staff forum?

COE:
I think monthly awards might be overdoing. I'd prefer delegate's awards once/term and leave it at that, personally.
mcm:
I think we should bring back some form of the Order of Merit. An award granted to TNP citizens for their long and exemplary service to the region. Possibly a discussion for another day.
I have seen a few UCRs successfully use award systems for long-term contributions. Usually they are given out by the Head of State or Government, once per term, to recognize a substantial contribution by a citizen over a long period of time. There are often a series of awards for different areas, like Culture Award, Military Award, Diplomacy Award, etc., as well as some sort of highest honor for the few most outstanding citizens with holistic contributions---this would be the equivalent of our own Order of Merit. In most GCRs where I've seen similar systems, it is usually only the last one.

I think that setting up such a system here in TNP would be a good idea, and it's something we could see to during this term. But as mcm said, these are of different scope than the awars we are discussing for the Executive Staff, which are for more itemized and short-term contributions.

mcm:
For Communication awards- In TRR they provide a series of ranks and points based on the quality and quantity of the articles produced by an individual editor. I wouldn't want this to conflict with COE's broader assignment style rankings, but it could be used as an additional way of providing support.
Crushing Our Enemies:
Regarding newspaper awards, I think perhaps an award for outstanding journalism might be appropriate on occasion, but not as a regular thing - it would be awarded when someone wrote an article that deserved it.
This could work for Communications.

In general, I am fine with each Minister organizing their own departmental awards in your own preferred way, as long as there is some system in place for recognition of contributions.

I am still waiting for comments from the rest of you guys. Also, there hasn't been any feedback regarding this:
--Regarding the organisation of the content inside the Executive Staff forum, so far I am considering two possibilities.

The first is that Ministers will be posting separate threads to advertise the various services (and provide description of the duties of course). These threads will be open only to Ministers, who can use them to announce expansions in staff, or just post to bump. Then, there will be a single application thread, where members can apply to join the various services, possibly also rank their preferences, etc.

The second is that there will be separate threads for each service, with the OP being a description and the rest of the posts being members applying to join. While this seems more straightforward, I am worried that we will end up with most people just mindlessly applying for everything.

It would still be a boost to the numbers. However

Then, there will be a single application thread, where members can apply to join the various services, possibly also rank their preferences, etc.

I think has the best potential for working out.

Alternative - each cabinet official could send job descriptions to you, and you could just post a single thread that has all jobs and descriptions listed in the OP that people would then apply for. That might eliminate the need for a sub-forum.

The elimination of the sub-forum is appealing in terms of accessibility. Having everything in a single thread would also make implementation faster. On the other hand, maintenance may become complicated, given that there will be a single thread for six Ministries. The lack of a subforum also limits flexibility for things like announcements and advertisement threads, though I suppose these could instead go to the Agora.

I am inclined to go with COE's proposal for now; we can always adjust the structure in the future, based on the experience from the first few weeks. But I will leave the discussion open for another day for the rest of the Ministers to chime in.

In the meantime, all Ministers should prepare job descriptions for the services within their departments they are planning to recruit for.

That's the intention. After I setup the original thread, each Ministry will be maintaining their part.

I have let the admins know about this through mcm. So hopefully it will be put in place in the next few days. While waiting for that, I'll go ahead and create the skeleton of the thread inside Registration and Membership, and add to it the job descriptions the Ministers prepare.

Okay, so I have some ideas for an executive staff. One would be helping out in editing the map based on claims (I have Lennart in mind for that), another would moderate the RP side of things. So how does that work out?

Alright guys, as you may have seen, I have created the Executive Staff here.

The structure is simple: Each Ministry has a section with a description of job opportunities. Members apply to join a Ministry. You approve. And then internally within each Ministry, you manage membership and resources in any way you prefer.

You are welcome, and in fact strongly encouraged to edit the job descriptions corresponding to your Ministries. For their first version, I have used the feedback I received from you, in this thread and on IRC. You should read them and make sure that they correspond to what you had in mind.

In the future, every time your Ministry has new workforce needs, or every time it is fully staffed, you should remember to update your Ministry's section in the Executive Staff thread to reflect the change. When you add new job opportunities to the Executive Staff, it will be useful to also post an advertisement/announcement in the Agora.

When personally recruiting members to your Ministries, I would recommend that you get them to apply through the Executive Staff. This is to encourage its use by all of our members, old and new.

Finally, you should make sure to check the Executive Staff thread whenever there are new replies, in case it is someone applying to your Ministry. I will be keeping an eye as well, and let you know (through PM, IRC, or Skype, as applicable) if there are applications that have been pending for a while.

Back