Recent RA applications

There are a couple of RA applicants that I believe are a security risk to The North Pacific. I believe that there are well known nations (Rach & Madjack) who intend to register with the RA simply to influence our elections. Do we accept any wayward nation that wants to come to the region and only participate to vote in our elections, then to disappear again until the next election cycle?

I'm asking because of the recent changes in the law. :)

What would be the risk?

Off the top of my head -
They help elect a legal candidate, whom we are concerned poses a reasonable amount of risk of going rogue?
(Is there sufficient documented evidence that said candidate would go rogue, and could this person be prosecuted now, based on intent?)
Do we believe that they would conduct illegal activities?

If you're convinced they had a bad past history here, and can find threads or posts that demonstrate it, then I think you are entitled to ask our advice, and to use those grounds as a basis. The law does not specify any restriction on what constitutes a threat to regional security, and common sense says if there is a linkable past history here, then that is a factual ground to show that there is a security issue. A rejection with an opportunity to demonstrate "reform" might also be an alternative that will have less resistance in the RA should a motion to overturn be made.

I'm not sure if they can vote in the election or not. The nomination period has started, but is it only once voting starts that it matters?

I thought it was only after elections started? Does the VD need a reason to say no? If you don't you can simply deny and then they can reapply after elections, correct? (assuming DD isn't running for the VD position again)

Yes, my read of the law is that anyone who registers up to the point of actual voting is able to vote in that election. You are also correct that I need no reason to reject them, I simply had to consult with the Security Council, which I have. I am inclined to reject their applications because I have always been annoyed at the people who register simply to vote in our elections, and then disappear. It is not a specific threat, but it is a threat to me nonetheless. I am sure they would not appreciate the same gamesmanship were we to follow suit in the region they count as home, so why allow them to do it here?

Edit: I am curious about Harmoneia's and Venico's edit of their posts in the registration thread...

Yeah very odd. I think Harm probably didn't realise what time it was when she joined.

I'd say Venico was joining to vote for Mall.

Back