World War I Centenial

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
We are fast approaching the one hundredth anniversary the beginning of WWI - July 28, 1914.

Both of my grandfathers (and all of my great-uncles) were combat veterans of that war. I knew many veterans of that war, all of then gone now. They lived long enough to see "Armistice Day (November 11)" become "Veteran's Day" here in the US, almost as though they lived long enough to see the war they fought in almost totally forgotten.

Back in 1992, I was in Sarajevo and stood on the exact spot where the assassin Gavrilo Princip stepped out with his pistol and shot Archduke Franz Ferdinand and his wife a month earlier on June 28, 1914.

The spot was interesting because there was a patch of fresh cement at the time and in that cement could be seen the very footsteps of the assassin, including the very foot prints where he fired the fatal shots. That relic was destroyed in the war from 1992-95.

More information of the Centenial: World War I Historical Association

I saw this item in Blue Wolf's sig today.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG48Ftsr3OI[/flash]

This is a perfect tribute to those who fought in that war.

Both of my grandfathers and all of their brothers were veterans of WWI. I remember when I was a young brat there were so many WWI vets still alive. And I think how sad it is that they lived long enough that their war was forgotten. "Armistice Day" in the US became "Veterans Day" and WWI was forgotten.

I remember talking to WWI vets about the war. And they said is was a horror beyond all human understanding and a perfect example of the futility of war. So sad.

I would love to go to Gallipoli for the 100th Anniversary. So many Australian soldiers died there in the First World War and it was the first event that really pushed Australia into international diplomacy and international warfare. We suffered terrible casualties but that is where the Anzac spirit was born.

I will be attending the dawn service as I do every year. On the 25th of April at Kings Park in Perth.

777684-pn-kings-park-anzac-day.jpg

mcmasterdonia:
I would love to go to Gallipoli for the 100th Anniversary. So many Australian soldiers died there in the First World War and it was the first event that really pushed Australia into international diplomacy and international warfare. We suffered terrible casualties but that is where the Anzac spirit was born.

I will be attending the dawn service as I do every year. On the 25th of April at Kings Park in Perth.
:clap:

Ever see the movie "The Lighthorsemen"? It's got a magnificent scene of the Charge at Beersheba (there is a magnificent monument to the Aussie Lighthorsemen at Beersheba, Israel).

The Lighthorsemen is an excellent movie about this cavalry charge in WWI.

[flash]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7dm_nbjNjE[/flash]

No, I haven't seen it. I will see if I can find it somewhere. The dawn service was spectacular. I'll share some photos (I didn't take them) a little later.

Cenotaph-Singapore-3.jpg

The Cenotaph, Singapore. Source: http://www.ghettosingapore.com/the-cenotaph/

I never knew that Singapore had a war memorial for the First World War until I did some research on national monuments a few months back. For many Singaporeans, the First World War remains a brief period in history which people talk about in the history books, but nobody really remembers. Some of the more dedicated history students (such as myself :P) would remember studying a bit about the arrival of the German ship SMS Emden and the Sepoy Mutiny in Singapore. Still, it is overshadowed in the collective memories of most Singaporeans by the Second World War, and many Singaporeans still have a relative who has painful memories of the horror and atrocities of the Japanese Occupation.

For me, the remembrance of the First World War still seems very much a European affair. Many of its most famous events were in Europe. Still, it is surprising to see this monument down here in sunny, somewhat European but not really European Singapore.

Oddly enough, WWI was genuinely wide-spread in terms of geography and nations involved, probably as much as was WWI. With WWI passing nearly entirely out of living memory, it tends to become forgotten.

In WWI there was fighting all over the place, even in sub-Saharan Africa. The reason for this was that most every European nation had far-flung 'empires', especially the French, Belgians, Germans, etc.,. Even the US had 'colonies' and 'protectorates' all over the Pacific (as did everyone from the Russians, Brits, Germans, French, Dutch, Belgians, etc., for use as coaling stations and supply stations for naval forces).

The same was true for WWII in which one of the main strategic considerations was the protection of British, French, Belgian, Dutch and US colonial interests in Southeast Asia and the Pacific.

Back to an interesting point that McM brought up, WWI indeed brought Australia onto the stage as a major world player. This is something that tends to get overlooked in the history books everywhere except Australia. Most of the severe fighting against the Japanese was conducted by the Aussies and Kiwis.

Australia also was key in the arms manufacturing industry for the entire British Empire not only in WWI but WWII. The armory at Lithgow produced most of the small arms for the Brits, especially the famous SMLE MKIII* .303 rifle (just about the best infantry and cavalry rifle ever made). Australia still plays a major part in the containment of potential Chinese expansionist threats in that part of the world.

That is true Romanoffia. The fall of Singapore was of particular concern for us when the British Government refused to allow our own ships to return to defend us. The Churchill War Rooms in Britain greatly overlook this subject and make out that it was a "minor" disagreement. The parliament was forced to meet in the middle of the night to pass the Statute of Westminister which gave the Commonwealth Government full control over the military (amongst other matters). The Prime Minister then ordered the ships return, who had to pass right through a massive stretch of ocean to return home - a stretch that was reportedly filled with Japanese submarines. The stress didn't kill him then - but he didn't live for much longer. (I am of course referring to WWII)

Our Prime Minister in World War I was a small little man, but he had one hell of a personality and he wasn't going to allow his developing nation to be stomped all over by the powers that be. He was a beloved figure by military members and was referred to as Australia's little digger (William Hughes). WWI was a big part of our development as a nation. We only became a federal nation in 1901.. So it wasn't long after that we were to put our limited military resources to work in the name of King and country.

Paul Thomson of the band Franz Ferdinand once said, "I like the idea that, if we become popular, maybe the words Franz Ferdinand will make people think of the band instead of the historical figure" - talking to is this music?.[1]

Since it's the centenary of Franz Ferdinand's death I googled the name to see how many results are the band and how many are the historical figure:

1. Franz Ferdinand
band

2. Archduke Franz Ferdinand of Austria - Wikipedia, the free ...
historical figure

3. Franz Ferdinand (band) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
band

4. First World War centenary: the assassination of Franz ...
historical figure

5. Franz Ferdinand | Facebook
band

6. Franz Ferdinand (Franz_Ferdinand) on Twitter
band

7. Family of Franz Ferdinand recall his life and legacy - BBC
historical figure

8. Century since death of Franz Ferdinand - BBC
historical figure

9. Domino | Artists | Franz Ferdinand
band

10. Franz Ferdinand – Free listening, videos, concerts, stats and ...
band

So the band has the top result and the top ten is 60/40 in their favour. It might be higher on a day that isn't the historical figure's centenary.

[1]"Franz Ferdinand interview – is this music?". Retrieved 5 September 2010.

Back