Lord Byron's Admission -- Discussion

I have my doubts to be honest. While I can acknowledge that the SC should keep bringing in new blood, I can't help but feel that I don't know Byron that well. He pops up every now and then to post in the RA and flicks me the occasional telegram. But we need to be able to trust Byron with the Delegacy if it comes to it, I don't know him well enough for that.

I look forward to reading what the rest of you have to say.

I share your concern, truly. I will point out that if he were admitted, he would be at the bottom of the order, which would provide a buffer to get to know him better. I PMed him to let him know that we were discussing his application, he did offer to answer any questions we might have.

I am worried because he is relatively inactive on the forum, and is less known to us, but is that sufficient reason to deny his application? Perhaps, but I would like to really discuss it because I think this will be an issue that repeats itself in the future. He is someone who has been in TNP for a long long time, and has been a respectful swapper during that time.

The user account has been open for two years, and the user name has been changed once:
Approved name change to "Lord Byron" for "Detbyron" Sep 28 2012, 05:31 PM
I'm not familiar with Lord Byron well enough, either, to judge whether membership is appropriate at this time.

Great Bights Mum:
I support his admission. I don't have any issues with him at all.
Could you elaborate for the benefit of those of us who are unsure? I know you are much more communicative with nations on the game side than a lot of the rest of us..

I'm uncomfortable with this candidacy but can come up with nothing concrete to bar admission. Don't know the guy. Sort of like to know someone before letting them in.

I'd love to hear more from GBM if possible. This is the public forum as well, so if Byron would like to respond to comments I'm sure he could pass them through the chair and we could operate on that basis.

I do have messages from Lord Byron to share with the council, unfortunately I am technologically limited at the moment. I re-installed Windows onto my old laptop and need to download the drivers I am missing. <_< Hopefully I will be able to use a friend's computer to get those today, otherwise I will not be able to post the message until tomorrow.

I don't know him very well but he's been in TNP long before me so I'll wait for your opinions and precedents, and his own opinion/campaign.

I'll be fully active again from Tuesday/Wednesday on and I'll join this discussion.

Lord Byron:
DD,

I have been monitoring the conversation re my application to the SC.
I noted McM's comment noting that I could respond if I wanted, which I would like to do now.
(Since there have been no specific questions addressed towards me)

It sounds to me like most members do not "know" me well, and thus hold a certain level of fear if I were to become Delegate (that I would go rogue or be aligned with a coup?)
I completely admit that I have remained relatively reserved and a minimal poster both on this off-site forum and within NS. My Nation has had many difficulties which have demanded much of my attention, and as such have not had time to "make friends".

As such, it seems to me that the only evidence that you can use in order to make a decision is my known record.
I have never dropped my WA status, and have never left TNP. Also, I have no other role in any other Region.
Additionally, McM can attest that when I ignorantly surpassed the legal endorsement limit, I dropped back down relatively quickly.

That being said, I could be a long-time sleeper for a raiding Region. However, couldn't any one of you be? If I were, would I try harder to "fit in" by being more involved?
My point is that it is all about trust, and I have never done anything to lose trust.

The reason that I want to be on the SC is that I am a Regionalist, if that is the term, and want to be involved in the Regional safeguarding of TNP.
Also, I must be honest and say that on a personal level I have always wanted to be on the SC!

I am more than happy to provide any more information.

Lord Byron, GnCnB

Lord Byron:
DD,

I forgot to mention 1 more thought -
I felt confident in applying for SC membership based on the recent requirement changes, specifically the less stringent requirements. I thought that this was an indication that the SC wanted more people that were not necessarily "old guard".

For consideration by the Council...

From my observation, Lord Byron's views are on the conservative side and his comments reflect an understanding of the culture. I have no reason to suspect he is not a man of his word, or that he would not take the SC oath seriously.

He is correct. He has always been very responsive to my requests about his endorsement level. I feel more confident about it now.

The law changes in question were to allow new and active members apply to join the SC once they have met the requirements. Trust is a factor that we cannot be 100% sure about. The SC already contains relatively new members and has been very inclusive of late.

From my position (as a new nation already accepted) it wouldn't be morally right to oppose his application. I think he is trustworthy and his endo levels are better on our side, but he's not enough involved in regional matters.

I would like him to participate of this debate, that way I'd decide whether I'm supporting him or abstaining.

The most recent sets of changes concerning the SPDR and endorsements were in response to the changes ingame in computing the SPDR; the set of changes prior to that was about activity levels.

As to the trustworthiness elements, while it is not explicit, the sponsors of that change did indicate that they expected the SC would still consider that in their consideration of an applicant. And the check and balance on that issue is the R.A. consideration of the application.

So the real issue here is the relative lack of familiarity some of us feel we have as to Lord Byron. I think it is a fair question for the SC membership to raise but I'm not as sure what the best mechanism is to address it.

We could, you know, chat him up.

Lord Byron, do you prefer to be called Lord, or Byron, or LB for short? How about Lord B?
List 3 things you like about TNP.
Have you ever held, or been a candidate for public office in TNP?
If not, why not?
If you could have any job in TNP, what would you choose and why?
I love tattoos. Do you have any? If so, what and where?

I will post his replies to those questions when he sends them along.

I am going to say now that I support his inclusion on the SC, regardless of his limited forum participation.

GBM has just made me realize how silly may we seem by saying we don't know him enough. This is the internet after all, and if we check his activity I doubt we will find any proof of him acting against TNP but rather the opposite.

Lord Byron has sent me this PM:

GBM

You really do have a way with people!

I am very happy to answer your questions.
Ironically, I had just sent a message to DD which mentioned the lack of questions specifically addressed to me.

GBM

Lord Byron, do you prefer to be called Lord, or Byron, or LB for short? How about Lord B?
I demand to be addressed as Supreme Leader by my people, but from other Nation rulers I prefer Lord Byron. YOU may call me anything you like!
GBM

List 3 things you like about TNP.
1) The extent to which the Gov has been developed.
2) That the Delegate takes into consideration the opinions of members regarding WA resolutions.
3) The organization of this forum. I love organization, but this forum could still use a little work to become perfect.
GBM

Have you ever held, or been a candidate for public office in TNP?
If not, why not?
I ran for Delegate a few terms ago, because I was nominated... I lost to Jaime (sp?)
GBM

If you could have any job in TNP, what would you choose and why?
Forgive my lack of accuracy here, because my browsing capability is limited right now, but the Minister of WA Affairs, if that is correct :/
GBM

I love tattoos. Do you have any? If so, what and where?
Yes, a skull and crossbones on my arm... Just kidding; no, no tattoos.

I am pressed for time at the moment, so I must go!
Thank you for the questions!!!

Lord Byron

He also sent me some follow-up information:

To expand slightly on my running for Delegate,
You can find my campaign thread here: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7031307/1/#new
I was nominated by Leekem for the Mar 2013 elections; I lost badly per http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7035524/1/#new
Jamie eventually crushed BWII per http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/7037790/1/
Although excited about the prospect of being Delegate, I was not surprised by the results.
In hindsight, maybe I should have declined the nomination and saved myself the embarrassment.

I mention that I would like to be the Minister of WA Affairs, but did not expand on that.
I have never campaigned for this position, for no valid reason.
The reason that I am attracted to that position is that I believe WA GA and SC voting is very important, and it is very wonderful that the Delegate takes into consideration the members opinions before casting the large vote that TNP "owns".
The Minister position is very important, because he/she is able to sway the decision of voting members!

Sorry, I broke the links, but you are all smart enough to find the posts. :P

I don't have any objections to Lord Byron being admitted to the SC.

He's been responsive to any requests involving endorsement levels and has been in TNP exclusively for quite some time now. Objectively speaking, we could use a few more people on the SC who understand the 'culture' of TNP and such.

I think Lord Byron would be a good addition to the SC.

Thank you for your response. I believe that most of the SC has weighed in at this point. I'll leave this discussion open for another day, then I propose we move to the vote.

Back