Failed:Repeal "On Abortion" [Complete] [Complete]

Abacathea

TNPer
Repeal "On Abortion"
A resolution to repeal previously passed legislation.

Category: Repeal

Resolution: GA#128

Proposed by: Auralia​

Description: WA General Assembly Resolution #128: On Abortion (Category: Human Rights; Strength: Mild) shall be struck out and rendered null and void.

Argument: Aware of the controversy surrounding abortion,

Regretting that the flaws present in GAR #128, "On Abortion", necessitate its repeal,

Concerned that the first clause of the target resolution compels nations to legalize abortions in cases of rape at all stages of pregnancy, including after fetal viability and even immediately prior to birth,

Remarking that abortions after fetal viability are largely unnecessary, even in the case of rape, since the pregnant individual can give birth and place the infant up for adoption instead of killing the fetus,

Emphasizing that abortions immediately prior to birth, even in the case of rape, are inhumane and should not be permitted by the target resolution,

Noting with alarm that the target resolution compels member nations to permit the pregnant individual's next of kin to make abortion decisions on behalf of the pregnant individual when the pregnant individual is incapacitated, even in cases where the next of kin is not acting in the best interests of the patient,

Shocked that the next of kin could conceivably deny the pregnant individual lifesaving medical treatment under the provisions of the target resolution,

Believing that the decision of whether to legalize abortion should primarily be left to individual World Assembly member nations,

Hoping that a resolution that permits nations to largely determine for themselves whether to legalize abortion will be passed in short order,

The General Assembly,

Repeals GAR #128, "On Abortion".

mowa-seal.png

MINISTRY REVIEW:

To be honest, we've put this review off for a while, primarily because of the delicate nature of the debate due to follow, and the topic itself. That said, all the while we've respectfully been watching the piece and the drafting process.

All in all, this has been one of the toughest reviews to do, because one has to consider what is going to happen down the line. If the replacement fails to live up to expectations, is equally flawed, or never comes, then repealing this is a dangerous game to play.

The author makes arguments regarding post birth termination, which ultimately we have to dismiss, and yet accept. While it is fair to say 95% of nations would utilize common sense in this aspect, we all know the 5% of crazies possible would be advocating this. So it's a tough call. However,

Shocked that the next of kin could conceivably deny the pregnant individual lifesaving medical treatment under the provisions of the target resolution,

This was the point where we did bite and accept that the premise of the repeal had some validity, and that worryingly, could actually extend into even the common sense using nations worldwide, primarily because, emotions run high, mistakes get made and ultimately, lives get lost.

MINISTRY SUGGESTED VOTE;

Honestly, this is a tough call and must be made entirely objectively by this office, and thus, weighting all the facts presented. The ministry had to suggest a FOR vote.

THIS IS ONLY A SUGGESTED VOTE, PLEASE VOTE FOR, AGAINST OR ABSTAIN BELOW.

I'm personally against because I don't think there's a quality replacement - that I would be willing to support - ready to submit. And while I wouldn't object to repealing OA and replacing it with a res that will block future abortion resolutions .... I don't like the ones that have been floated so far.

Also, there's a lot of rhetoric in this particular repeal text that I don't particularly want to see enshrined in WA law. But that's me.

mcmasterdonia:
is there any particular reason why you have suggested nations vote in favour and then promptly voted against Aba?
I've always maintained (and I would hope at least someone could back me up on this) that the Ministry would be objective and seperate from my own IntFed beliefs and review proposals purely off the back of their own merits.

This proposal troubles my own personal views considerably and as Auralia knows, personally I'm against the repeal and his proposed replacement, however, my personal reasons for that can't be allowed to interfere with an assesment of the resolution, which is also the reason I don't critique my own work when I put it forth.

Seemed the only fair way to do things to me without essentially using my position for my own political agenda, tempting and all as that may well be :bat:

Against.

Just out of curiosity, do foreign envoys have a say in how TNP votes on WA resolutions. that seems odd.

They don't Flemingovia. But I've asked Mousebumples to hang around and contribute to some of the debates we have here as she is an accomplished WA author.

Abacathea: Your position is a political one, but I understand your view on it. It is hard to be impartial on a matter such as this.

Flem, I don't usually offer my personal opinion, necessarily - and I don't expect it to count when McM votes - but given that Aba offered reasons to vote in favor and then promptly voted against ... I thought I'd offer some of my own rationale for why I thought a vote against might be appropriate.

Against.

And I must say that the emotional language in this resolution is completely inappropriate given what is a clinical matter. The simplistic reasons given for repeal, as well, belie an ignorance of the issue that is shocking. A vote for this resolution will motivate tiny little Framhaven to find another region immediately.

7-1-0 Against. Thankfully.

In truth I recognize all sides of this argument, I personally am against, and while I share 'Bumples view (and might I add I'm always happy to have her visiting TNP, (it does make me smile when she visits (weird I know ) ) ) Auralia makes some good points too. Hence the For/Against split I've presented.

Maybe I should just start reviewing as I would personally vote. I don't know. I'm open to discussion on this particular topic if it's needed, but until now I've considered myself and the ministry two separate entities in an effort to do the position some justice.

Nansen:
Against.

And I must say that the emotional language in this resolution is completely inappropriate given what is a clinical matter. The simplistic reasons given for repeal, as well, belie an ignorance of the issue that is shocking. A vote for this resolution will motivate tiny little Framhaven to find another region immediately.
While the tally is currently against, I felt it required to address this point in the context of voting proceedures.

Members of the region can cast their vote as they desire, FOR, AGAINST, ABSTAIN, or PRESENT.

The delegate is consequentially required to vote as the members dictate. It is not a reflection of the regions stance, or an overall view of the region as whole, it's simply how the majority of members forced the Delegate to vote at that given point in time. As TNP procedure requires the TNP Delegate to vote as per the FORUM voting populous, that narrows the margins even more so.

If you were to jump ship every time a region voted against your particular viewpoint, you'd probably find yourself relocating a lot.

The proposal above, regardless of it's choice of language makes some fair points from an objective point of view, and one in particular that forced the Ministry to consider it the way we ultimately did. It's not indicative of myself as a nation and how I view it. It simply is as the proposal validates itself.

Please do keep that in mind for future voting casts :)

Abacathea:
While the tally is currently against, I felt it required to address this point in the context of voting proceedures.

Members of the region can cast their vote as they desire, FOR, AGAINST, ABSTAIN, or PRESENT.

The delegate is consequentially required to vote as the members dictate. It is not a reflection of the regions stance, or an overall view of the region as whole, it's simply how the majority of members forced the Delegate to vote at that given point in time. As TNP procedure requires the TNP Delegate to vote as per the FORUM voting populous, that narrows the margins even more so.
:shock: Legal Code: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6924120/1/#new
Codified Law of The North Pacific
Chapter 6: Government Regulations

Section 6.6: WA voting regulation

32. The Delegate may vote on all World Assembly (WA) resolutions as they see fit, using any method to determine their vote as they decide.

Lord Byron:
Abacathea:

:shock: Legal Code: http://forum.thenorthpacific.org/topic/6924120/1/#new
Codified Law of The North Pacific
Chapter 6: Government Regulations

Section 6.6: WA voting regulation

32. The Delegate may vote on all World Assembly (WA) resolutions as they see fit, using any method to determine their vote as they decide.
I stand corrected although the point remains the same.

Perhaps the delegate should consider voting in accordance with the overall regional vote (which currently stands at 111-92) rather than the forum vote?

The overall regional vote has a much larger turnout and thus better expresses the collective will of TNP members.

Auralia:
Perhaps the delegate should consider voting in accordance with the overall regional vote (which currently stands at 111-92) rather than the forum vote?

The overall regional vote has a much larger turnout and thus better expresses the collective will of TNP members.
In my time as Minister here Auralia, that has only happened in the case of a deadlock. which currently isn't the case. I'd be surprised if McM suddenly U-turned here.

Your proposal is currently passing, so be happy for that, but being aware of what the margins were only a day ago, and having looked at the delegates currently pushing it as FOR now, I can't help but wonder who you sold your soul to here.

Auralia:

That isn't going to happen. I'm not going to change my voting policy mid vote.

Auralia:

If the vote in TNP as a whole was currently leaning towards against, and if most people on the forum were for the resolution, would you say the same thing?

Lord Nwahs:
Auralia:

If the vote in TNP as a whole was currently leaning towards against, and if most people on the forum were for the resolution, would you say the same thing?
Olvern, why must you ask the obvious?

Another question: Would Auralia have joined our regional assembly if his world assembly proposal wasn't going to come up for a vote soon?

Haafingar and Hjaalmarch:
Lord Nwahs:
Auralia:

Olvern, why must you ask the obvious?
Rhetorical questions, Haafy. Heard of them? :P

Lord Nwahs:
Auralia:

Yes.

Auralia:
Lord Nwahs:
Auralia:

Yes.
LIES!

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Voting on this resolution has ended.

Thanks to those nations who cast their votes. Your participation is a great help to the region.

This topic has been locked and sent to the Archives for safekeeping. If you would like this topic to be re-opened for further discussion, please contact the WA Delegate, a Global Moderator, or an Administrator for assistance. Thank you.

Back