Split from Request for Review on Flem v Grosse

I understand the reason for this split, but Tyler actually raises an interesting point. In recent times there has been a tendency for jobs like this to be automatically handed round an ever-decreasing circle of chums. One sees the same names being appointed over and over again.

Perhaps, for the benefit of including those who are not part of the IRC in-crowd, some thought might be given to more imaginative appointments in future? there must be others besides Tyler who are wondering "why do I never get asked to do stuff like this?"

Well, I think it mostly boils down to the fact that when appointments are made, the ones making the appointment are going to look for the best possible candidate. It's not surprising that the number of people who fit that description is small, and are likely to be people who are very active in the region and have held other positions in the past. It's also not surprising that these very active people tend to know one another well - after all, they do a lot together.

EDIT: Also, when people make appointments, they're looking for someone they know they can count on, rather than an unknown quantity. For that reason, appointees that one knows well can be at a premium, because their capabilities are better-known, and one can count on them to be active and competent.

All this is, of course, irrelevant to why Tyler was not chosen to be THO. The reasons he was passed over are far more obvious.

Well, I think it mostly boils down to the fact that when appointments are made, the ones making the appointment are going to look for the best possible candidate.

So it boils down to the fact that in your opinion most people are just not good enough? I think you underestimate a number of people on this forum. Also, speaking with my management training hat on, I would be forced to ask how those without the knowledge or experience will ever get to grow and develop without the chance to prove themselves or practice on relatively unimportant cases like this.

Here you go, TNP:

3097-dont-ever-say-youre-not-good-enough-if-that-person-cant_380x280_width.png

then perhaps our experience - or our outlook - is different. I can think of any number of people in the region who might well be or become "the best candidate" but who always seem to be passed over.

Meh, actually if this little episode results in next time people thinking with a little more imagination about who might be called on for jobs like these - if only to prove me wrong - then I will be happy enough.

flemingovia:
Meh, actually if this little episode results in next time people thinking with a little more imagination about who might be called on for jobs like these - if only to prove me wrong - then I will be happy enough.
Agreed.

Although, I'll say that during my first time as AG, I included a number of folks as deputies who had little to no experience. The result of that exercise was not very good at all.

Nonetheless, I think people should be willing to give new folks a chance and/or if they are passed over give them some helpful hints as to what they can do to make themselves a more viable candidate. With the courts, there will always be someone recusing themselves so there should be plenty of opportunity.

flemingovia:
I can think of any number of people in the region who might well be or become "the best candidate" but who always seem to be passed over.
Part of the issue might be not knowing who might a) be interested b) have time and c) do a good job. What would the court think of keeping a pinned thread in some court forum which would allow people to state their general interest in being THOs should a spot arise, or to volunteer for a specific spot?

I agree with flem and this was part of my speaker campaign; sometimes people who are not well known may be a better candidate than others and is being overlook. To pick a good THO you must thoroughly look through all applicants and not just the same people who served in that position alright.,

Exactly Tyler, that is what the citizens of TNP needs to learn. I was trying to incorporate that in my election for Speaker; but at the rate its going it looks like Zyet is getting a re-elected so my ideas can't come to the surface as yet. But you are right we need to learn to give other people a chance.

THO's are usually chosen from 1.) people who are available and who have no interest in the case, and; 2.) people who are usually not in a government position (or running for one that if they get elected may conflict with the timing of a case) as a second consideration.

Personally, the way I look at choosing a THO is like choosing a jury - you need an element of the random and you need to avoid repetition unless no one else is available.

I also think that from time to time having an unknown quantity as a THO might be good, especially if the THO has never served as an AG or Justice. You know, just to add a different view from time to time.

Romanoffia:
THO's are usually chosen from 1.) people who are available and who have no interest in the case, and; 2.) people who are usually not in a government position (or running for one that if they get elected may conflict with the timing of a case) as a second consideration.

Personally, the way I look at choosing a THO is like choosing a jury - you need an element of the random and you need to avoid repetition unless no one else is available.

I also think that from time to time having an unknown quantity as a THO might be good, especially if the THO has never served as an AG or Justice. You know, just to add a different view from time to time.
I fit this perfectly. Like, this screams me. I could care less about TNP. :P I've never done anything in TNP.

But for some reason, I get over looked.

Finally, someone agrees with me. Romanoffia your answer completley fits all of me. Yes having unkown quanities sometimes is beneficial and as soon as Tnp learns that, the better.

Tyler Kazakov:
Romanoffia:

I fit this perfectly. Like, this screams me. I could care less about TNP. :P I've never done anything in TNP.

He didn't say that you should pick people who don't care about the region.

If you don't care about TNP Tyler why are you here? What is preventing you from leaving?

mcmasterdonia:
Tyler Kazakov:
Romanoffia:

If you don't care about TNP Tyler why are you here? What is preventing you from leaving?
The Booze here is amazing. Can't get that anywhere else.

Tyler Kazakov:
mcmasterdonia:
Tyler Kazakov:
Romanoffia:

The Booze here is amazing. Can't get that anywhere else.
Personally, I am of the firm belief that most problems in TNP can be solved quite easily if everyone who had litigation to solve simply sat down with a sufficient quantity of booze and got snockered together. :P

Back