Request for Review: Fraud

Kiwi

TNPer
I would like the Court to review the fraud law. Specifically the elements required but more than that I would like the Court to delve into the mens rea of "intention" and discuss what it believes is necessary to prove an "intentional deception".

What specific elements are required to prove fraud? (In the Court's opinion)
What sort of intention is necessary to prove fraud? Is it a high (almost unattainable) level? Is oblique intention enough? Should the RA perhaps include a mens rea of "recklessness" in its definition?
Would a statement of "I believe" be enough to negate any finding of intention?
Does the Court believe that such a use of intention is appropriate in this online gaming context? If not, does the Court recommend reform?
Is the fraud law inappropriate in a case of defamation (as arguably occurred in TNP v Grosse)?
(This list is by no means, exhaustive)

As a hint to the current Court, I am going to have to prosecute another one of these fraud cases shortly (whether I want to or not) and I need to know a bit more than "yeah we don't think the intention is there".

So this is abundantly clear, the idea of this review is to provide a detailed "how-to" for future AGs / Defence counsel. I had hoped that TNP v Grosse may have had one positive outcome in that it achieved this but I was sadly disappointed.

Thanks for your time,

[me]
Attorney General
The North Pacific

Just a minor addendum to this post so that the Court is aware. I will not be proceeding with the next case on my docket until this review is dealt with one way or another.

So it is advisable that the Court makes it a priority.

If the Chief Justice is amenable, I would be more than willing to handle this clarification and give you a detailed clarification of 'fraud' as per your request.

[addendum on edit]

If the this is in reference to the Civil Complaint involving Flemingingovia v. Grosseschnauzer, that case is, being a civil case, would not involve the AG's office as per existing Court Rules: Article 3: Civil Trial Procedure, but would be handled via a single moderating Justice.

The court will review this matter.

Briefs will be accepted for the next 60 hours.

As per the usual procedure, the justices will confer and produce a ruling.

Romanoffia:
If the Chief Justice is amenable, I would be more than willing to handle this clarification and give you a detailed clarification of 'fraud' as per your request.

[addendum on edit]

If the this is in reference to the Civil Complaint involving Flemingingovia v. Grosseschnauzer, that case is, being a civil case, would not involve the AG's office as per existing Court Rules: Article 3: Civil Trial Procedure, but would be handled via a single moderating Justice.
I'm referring to the gargantuan TNP v JAL (3 or is it 4?) as opposed to Flem v Gross. The current charges are two counts of treason, one of multying and one of fraud. By this court's ruling, all complaints must be prosecuted so regardless of my own opinions, I must submit all of said charges.

Anyway I'll try and write something up for this in the next 80 hours.

I'd like a formal clarification for counsel going forward but thank you for the kind offer Roman.

Thanks for expediting this review.

I've asked numerous times that this Court address the arguments already put forward by defence counsel and I at the time. I asked the Court to do this (and indeed to do this in future) primarily because it is good manners to do so but also because it allows future counsel to understand the law better and proceed accordingly.

It is (at least in my opinion) a pathetic suggestion that the Court can "explain the offence further" to me personally because a) this doesn't help counsel in future and b) because case law is effectively rendered useless as it is unclear whether an argument is successful. Furthermore, I don't accept that this cannot happen simply because the Court has not done so before. It is also laughably patronising considering the current justices (at least as I understand it) didn't draft the law in question. The total irony of this particular situation is that it is likely the Court is going to ignore my comments about this.

Anyway, the relevant law is as follows:
Section 1.3: Fraud:
9. "Fraud" is defined as an intentional deception, by falsehood or omission, made for some benefit or to damage another individual.

The prosecution submits that the offence is thus divided into three parts:
  • Intentional deception and
  • that the deception be by falsehood or omission and
  • it was made for some benefit or to damage another individual

As far as intentional deception is concerned (as I have HEAVILY hinted in my prior submission on this matter) I believe that the evidential burden on the prosecution is at an extremely high (almost unattainable level). If someone states "I believe" anywhere in their comments, they will be protected. Period. The only evidence that is going to be strong enough is direct testimony from the accused that they intended their actions. Such a mens rea requirement is inapplicable to a game environment. As I already hinted, there needs to be reform or repeal of the offence in question.

As for the particular variant of intention - I believe direct intention is required. Nothing else will suffice.

I would write more of my musing on the offence in question but I don't have the time nor the inclination given that the Court already has its own ideas on how this offence is meant to work. If the court wants my opinion on the matter it is more than welcome to look over the 2000 words I put forward in the trial thread that were otherwise ignored.

I've got a draught of an opinion on this matter completed. Let me pass this by all of the Justices. I would rather wait until a replacement Justice for COE to be elected rather than appoint a THO to act as the third Justice, unless you want a really quick answer.

Here we go.

court-seal.png

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by Kiwi on the crime of Fraud

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry filed here by Kiwi.

The Court took into consideration Section 1.3 of the Legal Code of the North Pacific:

Section 1.3: Fraud
11. "Election fraud" is defined as the willful deception of citizens with regards to the candidates running, the time and venue of the elections, or the requirements and methods by which one may be eligible to vote or run for office.
12. "Fraud" is defined as an intentional deception, by falsehood or omission, made for some benefit or to damage another individual.

The Court also took into consideration the relevant section of the Bill of Rights:

In any criminal proceeding, a Nation is presumed innocent unless guilt is proven to the fact finder by reasonably certain evidence.

The Court opines the following:

What specific elements are required to prove fraud?
In order to prove Election Fraud, a prosecutor must demonstrate to the Court two things. First, they must show that an individual provided false information to, or deliberately withheld true information from, any non-zero number of citizens about certain subjects relating to elections. Second, they must show that this information was "willful deception". It is not required that the deception accomplish, or even aim for, any beneficial or harmful effect.

In order to prove Fraud, a prosecutor must demonstrate to the Court three things. First, they must show that an individual provided false information, or deliberately withheld true information. Second, they must show that this information was "intentional deception". Third, they must show that the provision or withholding of this information either improved the standing of that individual, or damaged that of another.

Both crimes require that the act be one of deception, and thus it is necessary to establish what that term entails.

First, deception must refer to a matter of fact, and not a matter of opinion. Matters of fact have definitive truth values - that is, they can be determined to be true or false. A statement of fact asserts something as truth, as objective reality. A matter of opinion, on the other hand, has a truth value which can vary depending on the individual contemplating the issue at hand, and a statement of opinion asserts subjective truth - something which is only necessarily true for the speaker.

Second, deception must refer to a material fact, that is, one which can reasonably be expected to affect the audience's future actions for some benefit or harm. Third, deception must be plausible, that is, something which can reasonably be expected to be believed by the audience.

Finally, in order to commit deception, an individual must be reasonably expected to know that their statement or omission lacks truth.

What sort of intention is necessary to prove fraud? Is it a high (almost unattainable) level? Is oblique intention enough?
To start, the Court opines that "willful deception" is synonymous with "intentional deception", and that the difference in word choice does not require a different standard of proof between the two crimes.

As for the standard itself, there are two types of intention in the commission of fraud. The first is demonstrable intent, wherein the defendant can be shown, by their own statements or actions relating to the alleged crime, to have engaged in deception as defined previously in this ruling.

The second is reckless intent, wherein intent is established by argumentation on reasonable expectations. The harmful or beneficial consequence of the deception must be something a reasonable person could have expected, by which the defendant can themselves be reasonably expected to have either expected or recklessly ignored the risk of that consequence. Either is sufficient.

The Court does not find that, together, these types of intent present an unattainable bar to the prosecution, although one or the other may be out of reach for any particular case.

Should the RA perhaps include a mens rea of "recklessness" in its definition?
The Court declines to comment on hypothetical legislation which would differentiate recklessness from intent.

Would a statement of "I believe" be enough to negate any finding of intention?
To reiterate, a statement of opinion is not a statement of fact, and thus statements of opinion do not qualify as fraudulent.

However, simply prefacing a statement of fact with the words "I believe" (or another similar phrase) is not, by itself, sufficient to establish it as a statement of opinion. The critical factor is and remains whether the statement is something which can be determined objectively, or whether it is a matter for subjective judgement.

To provide an example, the statement "Chocolate ice cream is better than strawberry ice cream" is a statement of opinion, as it is a matter of individual tastes not assumed to be universally true. It has no truth value whatsoever except insofar as it is a genuinely held belief, true for the individual asserting it. Prefacing this statement with "I believe" makes that implication more explicit, but the assertion is identical. They are both statements of opinion.

"Chocolate is made from potatoes", on the other hand, is a statement of fact, and can conclusively be demonstrated to be either true or false. Changing that statement to "I believe chocolate is made from potatoes" does not change the statement into one of opinion rather than fact. The belief itself, if it is genuinely believed, nevertheless has a truth value, and is therefore subject to the law.

Does the Court believe that such a use of intention is appropriate in this online gaming context?If not, does the Court recommend reform?
The Court declines to comment on the appropriateness of constitutional laws. Suggesting legal reform, alterations and additions to the written legal code is not the purview of the Court, and such recommendations would be inappropriate.

Is the fraud law inappropriate in a case of defamation (as arguably occurred in TNP v Grosse)?
The measure of appropriateness in prosecution is the extent to which the facts of a particular case match up with elements of the criminal code. The Court declines to comment on terminology.

I thank the current Court for seeing this matter to its conclusion.

This judgment has provided much needed clarification.

Back