Announcement: Speaker candidate debate

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-
The Election Commission will be holding a debate between the three current candidates for Speaker:

bootahilley 01
Leekem
Zyvetskistaahn

The debate will take place on Saturday January 4th, at (time=1388869200), in the IRC channel #speaker-debate. It will be moderated by Election Commissioner Reginald Carmichael.

Presented, in all their glory!

The logs!

[13:17] <@Sovreignry> To open, the first question is from Treize_Dreizehn and he asks "What are you wearing?"
[13:18] <+Zyvetskistaahn> Headphones, among other things
[13:18] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01?
[13:18] <+bootahilley_01> I am still wearing my pajamas, even though it is 4:00 PM in my timezone.
[13:19] <@Sovreignry> Leekem1?
[13:19] <+Leekem1> It is 4:00pm and I just came home, I am wearing a leather jacket
[13:20] <@Sovreignry> Very well, the next question is from Olevrn, and they ask, "How do you envision this term going? Zyvetskistaahn, the floor is yours.
[13:21] * @Sovreignry slaps Zyvetskistaahn around a bit with a large trout
[13:22] <+Zyvetskistaahn> That's rather tricky to answer, I'd prefer it to go well, of course, but there may well be events outside my control that affect TNP and, by extension, the RA negatively
[13:24] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01?
[13:25] <+bootahilley_01> I believe that if I am elected Speaker, and if I follow my mission statement, it will be a great term.
[13:25] <@Sovreignry> Leekem1?
[13:27] <+Leekem1> I imagine a great term, if elected, with my new ideas and my great perspectives; along with the plan set up by our current Speaker. But as he said there are some obstacles that would be out of my reach and can't help.
[13:29] <@Sovreignry> For Leekem1, Why do you believe that you'd be a better/stronger speaker for the Regional Assembly than your fellow candidates?
[13:29] <@Sovreignry> This is from Raven.
[13:30] <+Leekem1> That is a good question. I believe I can bring something to the table they can't. I believe I know the laws and they do, enough to administer them. I have been on the other side.
[13:31] <+Leekem1> You see my platform is on RA members.
[13:31] * Treize_Dreizehn_ is now known as Treize_Dreizehn
[13:31] <+Leekem1> I know what it is like for members of the RA to not be answered when speaking to someone.
[13:32] <+Leekem1> To try and get your voice hear in the government when their is no one listening.
[13:33] <@Sovreignry> Follow up to that Leekem1, can you please elaborate on what you meant by saying that you've been "on the otherside" - can you also explain what other positions you've held in TNP and how they have added to your experience for this role also what can you bring to the table that these other candidates cannot?
[13:33] <@Sovreignry> From Raven again.
[13:33] <+Leekem1> You see that is what the Speakers job is, not only to administer the rules coherently but to be a friend of the RA. I believe some speakers don't do it. I want to speak to you and help you.
[13:34] <+Leekem1> Because we are one region and when we work together we can accomplish anything but I would like the Speaker to be on our side. I want to have a friend in the government promoting our ideas.
[13:35] <+Leekem1> We can do it ourselves but I believe it is too much pressure for a newcomer to get involved so quickly. I want then Speaker to be someone who you can speak and also administer the rules.
[13:35] <+Leekem1> COE was the best at this. I wish I could fill half his shoes.
[13:35] <@Sovreignry> [13:33:28] <Raven> Also, can he please give an example of how the RA Members have been ignored recently, what they wanted and why it was a bad thing that it didn't happen.
[13:35] <@Sovreignry> [13:34:55] <Raven> Also, yet another followup: Leekem, can you please answer: Does the Speaker of the Assembly sit in the Executive Council?
[13:35] <@Sovreignry> We'll get to the other candidates, I promise.
[13:35] <+Leekem1> That is why I believe I should be elected
[13:36] <+Leekem1> No I believe he sits in the legislative branch along with other government officials.
[13:37] <@Sovreignry> [13:29:28] <Raven> For Bootsie - Why do you believe that you'd be a better/stronger speaker for the Regional Assembly than your fellow candidates?
[13:37] <@Sovreignry> Thank you Leekem1.
[13:37] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01, the floor is yours for Raven's question.
[13:38] <+bootahilley_01> Good question, Raven. I think I am a better candidate because I am currently Deputy Speaker of the Regional Assembly, and have a good mission statement that will guide me through a successful term.
[13:40] <@Sovreignry> [13:30:01] <Raven> For Zyvet - Why do you believe that you'd the best candidate to continue as speaker for the Regional Assembly rather than one of the other candidates?
[13:40] <@Sovreignry> Thank you bootahilley_01.
[13:41] <@Sovreignry> Hold on Zyvetskistaahn, we have a follow-up for boot.
[13:41] <@Sovreignry> [13:40:44] <Raven> Okay, followup for Bootsie: Can you please describe where you'd like to be in TNP, and how you envision the Regional Assembly being in a year from now.
[13:41] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01
[13:42] * @Sovreignry slaps bootahilley_01 around a bit with a large trout
[13:43] <+bootahilley_01> I envision the Regional Assembly guided by a mission statement that wraps us all together, and at the helm a strong, true Speaker who is at the helm every step of the way. I love where I am in TNP, and wouldn't trade it for anything.
[13:46] <@Sovreignry> [13:45:12] <Raven> Also: What is the biggest failing of the RA in your opinion, and where can it be improved?
[13:46] <@Sovreignry> Too bootahilley_01.
[13:47] <@Sovreignry> 13:44:26] <Raven> At Bootsie: Is this before or after the Knight slays the wicked dragon and rescuses the Princess?
[13:47] * @Sovreignry slaps bootahilley_01 around a bit with a large trout
[13:48] <+bootahilley_01> I think the most failing part of the Regional Assembly is how long it takes to get the users admitted into the Regional Assembly. Nothing against anyone involved, it just, in my opinion, does not work. I'm taking the other question symbolically, after the slaying of the dragon. :)
[13:50] <@Sovreignry> [13:30:01] <Raven> For Zyvet - Why do you believe that you'd the best candidate to continue as speaker for the Regional Assembly rather than one of the other candidates?
[13:50] <+Zyvetskistaahn> Well, as the question notes, I am the current Speaker and so feel that I have a better understanding of the laws and rules relating to the RA, if only because I have been ensuring that they've been followed in the RA during my term whereas Leekem has no experience with that, to my knowledge, and Bootsie hasn't yet been involved with scheduling votes and......
[13:50] <+Zyvetskistaahn> what not
[13:52] <@Sovreignry> [13:51:23] <Raven> For Zyvet: follow up. Do you feel like you have any weaknesses as a speaker, if so, what? What would you like to achieve in the next term and where do you see yourself and the RA in a year?
[13:54] <+Zyvetskistaahn> Any weakness, probably an occasional lack of punctuality with regards to removing members from the rolls or with issuing the Weekly Digest, though I believe that the second one is largely back on track.
[13:55] <@Sovreignry> [13:22:48] <Treize_Dreizehn> For Zyvet: Why are you running for office?
[13:55] <+Zyvetskistaahn> What I would like to achieve in the next term, essentially, is for the RA to operate with efficiency and, potentially, to make some revisions of the Standing Orders with regards to what happens to proposals that are objected to after the conclusion of Formal Debate
[13:55] <+Zyvetskistaahn> where I see myself and the RA in the next year, I cannot say, I wasn't even in TNP this time last year so looking forward so far is a bit difficult for me
[13:56] <+Zyvetskistaahn> I am running for office to be re-elected.
[13:56] <@Sovreignry> A double question for all candidates, [13:25:13] <flemingovia> For all candidates: How well do you think you will be able to resist lobbying on IRC?
[13:56] <@Sovreignry> [13:25:41] <Treize_Dreizehn> Another question in that vein: Should lobbying via IRC be allowed at all?
[13:56] <@Sovreignry> Zyvetskistaahn, the floor is yours.
[13:59] <+Zyvetskistaahn> Presuming that lobbying is to mean for my vote with regards to bills, I would think that I'd be able to resist it rather well and have thus far decided to abstain on most votes as Speaker, due to my view that the Speaker should, ideally, not show favour in such matters. As to whether lobbying through IRC should be allowed, I see no reason why it should.......
[13:59] <+Zyvetskistaahn> be singled out, it is, after all, just another medium of communication
[13:59] <+Zyvetskistaahn> So, yes, it should be allowed
[14:02] <@Sovreignry> Thank you. Follow up. [14:01:49] <Treize_Dreizehn> Have you ever been lobbied for votes before? If so, how did you respond?
[14:04] <+Zyvetskistaahn> I suppose I have, a while ago on a bill that had a fairly close margin, one or two votes, I believe, as I recall I ended up abstaining on that vote
[14:04] <@Sovreignry> Thank you.
[14:04] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01, you're up.
[14:06] <+bootahilley_01> I disagree with Zyvetskistaahn, I think lobbying should not be allowed. A government official should be able to decide what they want to vote.
[14:07] <@Sovreignry> Leekem1?
[14:08] <+Leekem1> I agree the current speaker, I believe lobbying through the Irc should be allowed. After they should be able to express their views through whatever way. The Irc is just another form of communication.
[14:09] <+Leekem1> *wiht
[14:09] <+Leekem1> *with
[14:09] <@Sovreignry> [13:42:02] <Abacathea> For all candidates, what can you bring to the office that you feel it doesn't already have? What about your agenda will differ from the current norm
[14:09] <@Sovreignry> Zyvetskistaahn, your floor.
[14:12] <@Sovreignry> We have about 30 minutes left until I have to leave.
[14:12] * @Sovreignry slaps Zyvetskistaahn around a bit with a large trout
[14:12] <+Zyvetskistaahn> hmm, this is somewhat difficult, considering that I am what the office already has, so I suppose I technically wouldn't bring anything to the office that it doesn't already have. I don't believe there is any radical change that the Speaker can bring about, such things should ideally come from the RA itself, as I mentioned before I have been considering a.....
[14:12] <@Sovreignry> Thank you.
[14:12] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01?
[14:12] <+Zyvetskistaahn> minor amendment to the Standing Orders, but there is nothing particularly major that I intend to change
[14:14] <+bootahilley_01> What I am wanting to bring to the table is a true mission statement, that I don't think that Zyvetskistaahn has.
[14:15] <@Sovreignry> Abacathea would like you to expand on that.
[14:16] <@Sovreignry> As would Treize_Dreizehn.
[14:16] <+bootahilley_01> Okay, my mission statement is "To represent the Regional Assembly as a whole, and the Legislative Branch of our government.", and I feel like with this mission statement in my heart, I can accomplish what needs to be accomplished. Is that expanded enough?
[14:17] <@Sovreignry> Treize_Dreizehn, would like an expansion on your comments about Zyvetskistaahn.
[14:19] <+bootahilley_01> I know Zyvetskistaahn very well as a Speaker, and know that, unless I have mistaken, he does not have a mission statement that is guiding him as a Speaker and Representative of the Legislative Branch.
[14:19] <@Sovreignry> [14:19:30] <Treize_Dreizehn> And how is that a problem?
[14:21] <+bootahilley_01> I never said it was a problem, I just think that if all positions of the government had a mission statement, the user to follow the incumbent would know how to run that position.
[14:21] <@Sovreignry> Thank you.
[14:21] <@Sovreignry> Leekem1, your floor.
[14:23] * @Sovreignry slaps Leekem1 around a bit with a large trout
[14:23] * Retrieving #speaker-debate modes...
[14:23] * Sovreignry sets mode: +m
[14:23] <+Leekem1> I will bring so much. I have a different perspective. I will be a more involved with the citizens of the RA. Based on what the constitution says I believe the Speaker is the Spokeperson of the RA. I want to be a Speaker that you can trust and talk to if you have a problem. I have a huge platform on newcomers.
[14:24] <+Leekem1> I am one of the very first people to greet them here =.
[14:24] <+Leekem1> You see, our Speaker does create a positive vibe for people to contact him. I believe the part of the Speaker is to help the RA, if needed
[14:25] <+Leekem1> That is why he is called Speaker Of the Ra
[14:25] <+Leekem1> Because TNP is a region of hope. Anyone who comes here as along as he/she has great perspectives and works hard they can make it
[14:26] <+Leekem1> And if elected I will make sure all members of the RA feels connected the government because I will their to give the government their point of view.
[14:26] <+Leekem1> So during my tenure their will eb some changes
[14:26] <+Leekem1> *be
[14:27] <+Leekem1> I am done
[14:29] <@Sovreignry> [13:48:36] <Olvern> Okay fine erm question to everyone: what do you envision yourself doing if you do not get re-elected?
[14:29] <@Sovreignry> [13:48:48] <Olvern> Or elected for that matter
[14:29] <@Sovreignry> Zyvetskistaahn, your move.
[14:32] <+Zyvetskistaahn> I suppose it'd depend who wins, if Bootsie wins I'd happily take up the offer he made in his campaign thread to be his deputy, I don't think Leekem has made such an offer so if Leekem won I'd imagine I'd just be a member of the RA, vote on things, get involved with drafting bills to some extent, maybe run in the judicial election for something
[14:33] <@Sovreignry> bootahilley_01?
[14:34] * @Sovreignry slaps bootahilley_01 around a bit with a large trout
[14:34] <+bootahilley_01> Like Zyvetskistaahn said, it really depends on who wins, if Zyvetskistaahn wins, I would hope he would keep me as his deputy, but if Leekem won, I would continue as an Regional Assembly member and enjoy being in TNP.
[14:34] <@Sovreignry> Thank you.
[14:35] <@Sovreignry> Leekem1?
[14:36] * @Sovreignry slaps Leekem1 around a bit with a large trout
[14:37] <+Leekem1> Same as them. Zyvet you said extend you an offer, I am now. If I do win I would be delighted to have you on my team. You would be a great ally. If I lose I really hope I could be your deputy along with boot. Same with boot I could new ideas to your team if you got elected. If not then I will be a ra member.
[14:38] <@Sovreignry> Thank you all.
[14:38] <+Zyvetskistaahn> Thank you
[14:38] <@Sovreignry> This concludes the speaker debate.
[14:38] <@Sovreignry> I'll edit the transcript for IP's later and post it.
[14:39] <+Leekem1> Alright goodbye

Back