Election Provisions Amendment Bill

As I promised, below is a revised draft accounting for the changes implemented by the RON act. The changes from the previous draft are just in the numbers of clauses, so I will not provide a separate version with BBcode highlighting.

1. Article 7, Clause 9 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
9. No person may simultaneously serve in government official positions in more than one of the executive, legislative, or judicial categories. Exceptions to this provision may be established by law.

2. Clauses 10 to 12 of Article 7 of the Constitution of The North Pacific are hereby renumbered 11 to 13, respectively.

3. The following is inserted in Article 7 of the Constitution of The North Pacific,
10. Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of candidacy declarations and throughout the election.

4. Clauses 8 to 18 of Chapter 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific are hereby renumbered 9 to 19, respectively.

5. Chapter 4, Section 4.2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
Section 4.2: Election Law Definitions
3. "Abstentions" are not votes for or against any candidate, and may not be used to determine the results of any election. They may be used for quorum, activity, or other purposes.
4. "Candidates" are those Regional Assembly members who, during the period of the Election Cycle designated for candidacy declarations, declare themselves or accept a nomination by another Regional Assembly member as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that Election Cycle.
5. Candidates may only stand for one office during a given Election Cycle.
6. "Election Commissioner" is an individual designated to supervise a given election. No Election Commissioner may run in the election they are overseeing.
7. "Election Cycle" is defined as the period of time that begins on the first day on which candidacy declarations can be made and concludes with the final declaration of results for an election.
8. A "vacancy" in an office occurs when the holder of it resigns, is removed, or abandons it. An office is abandoned when its holder does not log onto the regional forums for two weeks without prior notice, or when an election winner or appointee fails to post the Oath of Office. Pending an election, a vacancy may be temporarily filled as provided by the Constitution, this Legal Code, or a rule adopted by the appropriate body.

6. Chapter 4, Section 4.3, Clause 11 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
11. If a run-off vote is required it will begin within one day of the first vote ending and it shall last for five days.

7. Chapter 4, Section 4.4, Clause 14 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
14. Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the candidacy declaration and election processes at least one week before the beginning of the month in which the election is to be held. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Vice Delegate shall promptly make the appointment. Regional Assembly members serving as government officials are not excluded from appointments under this clause.

8. Chapter 4, Section 4.5, Clause 18 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
18. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Vice Delegate, or if the Delegate and Vice Delegate are not available, the Speaker, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.

9. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.

Given that there seem to be no further comments, I move we vote.

Inasmuch as the sponsor further amended their bill and simultaneously moved for formal debate without any opportunity for comment, I object to the bill proceeding to formal debate. In addition, the content of the bill may be affected by another bill that has been proposed to further amend the reopening of nominations procedure on the ballot. It might be advisable to make sure the two bills don't contradict each other.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Grosse, the text of the bill isn't locked in until the end of formal debate. It can still be amended until then.
That will still not address the reopening nominations amendment bill and any changes related to that, since this bill was delayed by the bill that made that original change.

Grosseschnauzer:
Inasmuch as the sponsor further amended their bill and simultaneously moved for formal debate without any opportunity for comment, I object to the bill proceeding to formal debate. In addition, the content of the bill may be affected by another bill that has been proposed to further amend the reopening of nominations procedure on the ballot. It might be advisable to make sure the two bills don't contradict each other.
Second.

Grosseschnauzer:
When I made substantive changes to the proposed bill here, I let the bill wait for 15 days. There was ample opportunity for comments, yet there were none.

The latest draft only changed two numbers, to account for Flemingovia's re-opening nominations bill. Given that the lack of comments for 15 days indicates that there are no issues related to the substantive changes the bill makes, the few days formal debate lasts are more than enough for members to check the two numbers that changed and comment.

Furthermore, I had already checked the new re-opening nominations bill. As long as this one passes first (which, based on the RA timetable, it will), there is no conflict.

Chasmanthe:
Grosseschnauzer:
Second.
I note that objections to formal debate cannot be made, objections would be to a scheduled vote after formal debate has concluded.

Zyvetskistaahn:
Chasmanthe:
Grosseschnauzer:
Second.
I note that objections to formal debate cannot be made, objections would be to a scheduled vote after formal debate has concluded.
Oh, sorry. I thought this was an objection to the scheduling of the vote.

If it's just an objection to the formal debate itself then that's inconsequential. I'm going to have to sense-check Grosse's post next time.

Given the RA voting schedule, should this bill pass it will take effect during the voting stage of the forthcoming judicial election. To avoid complications to the election, I am adding clause 10 to the bill, which says that the bill will only take effect after the election is over.

1. Article 7, Clause 9 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
9. No person may simultaneously serve in government official positions in more than one of the executive, legislative, or judicial categories. Exceptions to this provision may be established by law.

2. Clauses 10 to 12 of Article 7 of the Constitution of The North Pacific are hereby renumbered 11 to 13, respectively.

3. The following is inserted in Article 7 of the Constitution of The North Pacific,
10. Candidates in any election must maintain membership in the Regional Assembly for the fifteen days before the opening of candidacy declarations and throughout the election.

4. Clauses 8 to 18 of Chapter 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific are hereby renumbered 9 to 19, respectively.

5. Chapter 4, Section 4.2 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
Section 4.2: Election Law Definitions
3. "Abstentions" are not votes for or against any candidate, and may not be used to determine the results of any election. They may be used for quorum, activity, or other purposes.
4. "Candidates" are those Regional Assembly members who, during the period of the Election Cycle designated for candidacy declarations, declare themselves or accept a nomination by another Regional Assembly member as a candidate for an office to be chosen at that Election Cycle.
5. Candidates may only stand for one office during a given Election Cycle.
6. "Election Commissioner" is an individual designated to supervise a given election. No Election Commissioner may run in the election they are overseeing.
7. "Election Cycle" is defined as the period of time that begins on the first day on which candidacy declarations can be made and concludes with the final declaration of results for an election.
8. A "vacancy" in an office occurs when the holder of it resigns, is removed, or abandons it. An office is abandoned when its holder does not log onto the regional forums for two weeks without prior notice, or when an election winner or appointee fails to post the Oath of Office. Pending an election, a vacancy may be temporarily filled as provided by the Constitution, this Legal Code, or a rule adopted by the appropriate body.

6. Chapter 4, Section 4.3, Clause 11 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
11. If a run-off vote is required it will begin within one day of the first vote ending and it shall last for five days.

7. Chapter 4, Section 4.4, Clause 14 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
14. Election Commissioners will be appointed by the Delegate to oversee the candidacy declaration and election processes at least one week before the beginning of the month in which the election is to be held. If an appointment of Election Commissioners has not been made by that time, the Vice Delegate shall promptly make the appointment. Regional Assembly members serving as government officials are not excluded from appointments under this clause.

8. Chapter 4, Section 4.5, Clause 18 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
18. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Vice Delegate, or if the Delegate and Vice Delegate are not available, the Speaker, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.

9. No part of this bill shall take effect unless all parts take effect.

10. This bill shall take effect no earlier than the conclusion of the Judicial Election Cycle of March 2014.

I voted Nay, and urge everyone to do the same.

I flipped a coin and it came down tails three times in a row. That is a sure sign that the secular forces of randomness want this bill to fail.

Three times tails does not lie. think about it.

Just to make sure this doesn't get overlooked: with the conclusion of the Judicial Election, this bill has taken effect and the Constitution and Legal Code will need to be updated.

Back