-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
Feel free to post your own, I just thought I would share mine

The whole upside down maps nonsense:

Postcard:_Upside_Down_World_Map_4039.jpg

I had never seen a map like that until I started using IRC.

12018d1352453687-aussie-cj7-78-riding-kangaroos.jpg

NO

put-another-shrimp-on-the-barbie-2.png

DEFINITELY NOT

What Jeff Foxworthy has to say about Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

If your Dairy Queen is closed from September through May, you live in
Pittsburgh

If someone in a Home Depot store offers you assistance and they don't
work there, you live in Pittsburgh

If you've worn shorts and a parka at the same time, you live in Pittsburgh

If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed
a wrong number, you live in Pittsburgh

If an old chair left in a cleared parking spot on a snowy street looks
to you like a declaration of the sovereignty over that spot, you live
in Pittsburgh

If 'Jumbo' doesn't refer to a fictional elephant but means a kind of
luncheon meat, you live in Pittsburgh

If you can both 'go up street' or 'dawntawn', you live in Pittsburgh

If Versailles is pronounced as if it is spelled 'versales', you live
in Pittsburgh

If 'Vacation' means going anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line for
the weekend, you live in Pittsburgh

If you measure distance in hours, you live in Pittsburgh

If you have switched from 'heat' to 'A/C' in the same day and back
again, you live in Pittsburgh

If someone offers you an 'ahrn' and you know to drink it, you live in
Pittsburgh

If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging
blizzard without flinching, you live in Pittsburgh

If you carry jumper cables in your car and your wife knows how to use
them, you live in Pittsburgh

If you design your kid's Halloween costume to fit over a snowsuit, you
live in Pittsburgh

If driving is better in the winter because the potholes are filled
with snow, you live in Pittsburgh

If you know all 4 seasons: almost winter, winter, still winter and
road construction, you live in Pittsburgh

Great Bights Mum:
If you've had a lengthy telephone conversation with someone who dialed
a wrong number, you live in Pittsburgh
LOL something similar to this happened to me some time ago, but I was the one calling. I was to talk with my colleague Aaron, and I obviously dialed the number wrong because a young woman with a sweet voice answered instead. We talked like ten minutes and then saved her number within my contacts under the name "piba que no es Aaron" (lit. "chick who isn't Aaron").

I never called her again though, I wonder if I'm losing some life-changing experience or something. At least I know for sure she wasn't Sandra Bullock xD

;)

About Canary Islanders stereotypes... well, most people on Earth couldn't actually place us on the world map (understandable; thanks to our wonderful colonial education sytem even a lot of Canarian people think we're a geographical part of Europe), but what I have heard so far:

1- Thanks to some bad historiography work, and also Randy Newman, the whole world seems to think we're all dead. That no one survived the conquest, and we're all either Spaniards or Brit expats and there isn't any proper culture here :(

2- As our dialect is much more similar to that of Puerto Rico, Venezuela or Cuba (because we repopulated and founded many settlements there, so it's their dialect similar to ours and not the other way around xD) Spanish people regularly call us "sudacas", "panchitos" and other racial /ethnic slur normally used for Latin-American inmigrants. (well, in fact we did a lot of shit in America).

3- We're supposed to be quiet, easy going, lazy people, playing on the sand half naked and such. So we're called "vagos", "mantenidos" and "aplatanados" (lazy, free-loaders and... the last one is difficult to translate, it's related to bananas in some way, but it's like a mix of quiet, docile and lazy too).

And positive stereotypes... I think there isn't any :(. well our **** size, I guess. It's something :D

Spending all our money on suits and coffee and cars instead of mortgages. And being compulsive adulterers and deceitful womanizers. :P

Mafia-related ones too, but those are more insulting than just "annoying".

I know lots of Arabic stereotypes - my mother's family came from that part of the world. The stereotype about women is not that they are non-existent, but that they have no life. Their only purpose being to wait on the man.

In financial negotiations they are either shrewd or unscrupulous, depending on which side of the deal you are on.

They are excitable and do a lot of yelling and gesticulating. OK, I admit my dear mother talked with her hands. Since she was often cooking in the kitchen, sometimes she would have a knife in her hand while she was instructing us kids. Basically, she would yell at us while waving a knife. Very effective.

xD

Arabs and Middle Eastern stereotypes have become more and more common. One of the most used here is that you supposedly cannot tell religion from reality and that women are all submissive muslim servants. But about Sirya, specifically... I wouldn't say I knew any particular stereotype that I recall of.

Singapore is also mostly unknown here, but I find rather funny they're Chinese, Malaysians and Indonesians speaking British English in a very small island. That, and the fact that it was the only country whose independence wasn't gained or granted, but they were actually expelled!... we should make a stereotype out of that xD.

There is a show on in Australia called "legally brown". Basically it is a show whose cast is made up entirely of people of muslim, middle eastern or indian ethnicity and they make fun of the stereotypes that are associated with their respective countries/ethnicity.

I expect that it would be too politically incorrect to be shown on television in the US, but it may be worth a youtube search if you're interested in having a laugh xD

mcmasterdonia:
There is a show on in Australia called "legally brown". Basically it is a show whose cast is made up entirely of people of muslim, middle eastern or indian ethnicity and they make fun of the stereotypes that are associated with their respective countries/ethnicity.

I expect that it would be too politically incorrect to be shown on television in the US, but it may be worth a youtube search if you're interested in having a laugh xD
I doubt that, noting that Community (an American show) revolves around stereotypes and "racist" jokes most of the time:

There's Abed, a muslim guy half Polish/half Palestinian, Annie who's Jewish, Shirley a black Christian, Troy a black Jehova's witness, an atheist, an agnostic, a Chinese guy who teaches Spanish (whose brother is a rabbi) a gay Dean... Diversity and setereotypes are one of the main themes. I dare to say Americans are not so uncomfortable about what's politically correct after all xD. Or maybe they do?, observing how low it's their share now and how the show keeps being shortened and delayed :(

Lennart:
I find rather funny they're Chinese, Malaysians and Indonesians speaking British English in a very small island.
Most former British colonies speak British English, or at least butcher it into their own creole (for example Jamaica). We have one, it's called Singlish and it has a very detailed Wiki article.

Also, Malaysians and Indonesians aren't exactly 'ethnicities', they're more of nationalities (and even that is debatable, but I'm not going to go too in-depth into that). More accurately, Singapore is a bunch of Chinese (mostly immigrant Chinese from the more southern provinces of China,), Malays, Indians (mostly South, Tamil is an official language here) and 'Others' (mostly Mixed Asian-Europeans, also known as Eurasians). And this isn't even counting the immigrant/non-citizen/permanent resident/foreign worker/foreign 'talent'/expat population.

Lennart:
That, and the fact that it was the only country whose independence wasn't gained or granted, but they were actually expelled!... we should make a stereotype out of that xD.
And just a few years before that, the country voted to leave British rule and join Malaya to form Malaysia. Oh fun times.

mcmasterdonia:
Communism?
HAHA good one... oh wait was that supposed to be a joke, or what? D:

Most interesting ;) Otherwise you probably don't know Singapore is one of the examples used in arguments about Canarian independece, that is, as an example of succeeding.

I kinda like that political correctness exist so I can enjoy transgressing it. There's a moment for everything I guess.

Ash:
Isn't Singapore known for its severe punishment for crimes?
Yes, and honestly I can't argue with that. (the fact that it happens, I'm not condoning severe punishments)

Great Bights Mum:
I know lots of Arabic stereotypes - my mother's family came from that part of the world. The stereotype about women is not that they are non-existent, but that they have no life. Their only purpose being to wait on the man.

In financial negotiations they are either shrewd or unscrupulous, depending on which side of the deal you are on.

They are excitable and do a lot of yelling and gesticulating. OK, I admit my dear mother talked with her hands. Since she was often cooking in the kitchen, sometimes she would have a knife in her hand while she was instructing us kids. Basically, she would yell at us while waving a knife. Very effective.
You are Arabic?

Thelord444:
Great Bights Mum:

You are Arabic?
Yes, along with Irish, Bohemian, German and who knows what else. A little French. My great-grandmother on my mother's side was born in the 1870's in what is now Lebanon. She was in an arranged marriage to a man she did not like. After her 6th child was born, she left him. She took some of her children and got on a boat to America. She started her own business and ran a store for many years. I've heard that was a very nonstereotypical thing to do for a woman from that culture and time period.

@Abacathea: :rofl: I'll drink to that! :toast:

What an interesting story GBM!

I've recently been doing a bit of research into my Father's side of the family, and have found a lot of deep dark secrets :p

For one thing, my Dad's paternal Grandmother lived in France during the German Occupation and from what we have found so far, it appears that she was heavily involved in the Nazi Party and that she managed various Nazi owned hotels and taverns :(. She had changed her name quite a lot once she moved to Australia and we aren't sure who the real father of my Grandfather is.

Her Mother was born to an aristocratic family and Germany, but she was exiled after she married her Father's english mechanic and she lived with him in France for quite a while before moving to Australia.

Genealogy?

Hmmm, I don't know of too many stereotypes for Vermont...

You are either a hillbilly farmer, or a subaru driving yuppie concerned with eating organic and local. :D

I haven't been in Washington very long, but some weird idiosyncratic things: people say "scratch cooking" instead of "cooking from scratch" here. Everybody east of the cascades is a conservative redneck, and everyone west of the cascades is a starbucks drinking yuppie who cares about GMOs and they all live in Seattle. :D

British things are not tiny.

Not everything grinds to a halt at 4 o'clock in the afternoon for tea.

We do not all speak posh.

We do not listen to 'God Save the Queen' on repeats.

Not everything in Britain is old.

Yes, we do in fact believe that British English is a LOT better than American English - just saying.

Toodle-Pip!

GBM's tales of Pittsburgh sound a bit familiar to me as a Bostonian.

[me] does a quick google search.

Looks like "You know all four seasons: Almost winter, winter, still winter, and road construction. " has been applied to pretty much every city in North America north of the Mason-Dixon line XD

Edit: see?

Archegnum:
British things are not tiny.

Not everything grinds to a halt at 4 o'clock in the afternoon for tea.

We do not all speak posh.

We do not listen to 'God Save the Queen' on repeats.

Not everything in Britain is old.

Yes, we do in fact believe that British English is a LOT better than American English - just saying.

Toodle-Pip!
So, all I always believed is a lie! O.O

C'mon, I even learnt the lyrics! And also Jerusalem's... Pff just tell me you don't like football either and I'll be moving elsewhere xD

Back