Cormac for Justice

Cormac

TNPer
TNP Nation
Cormactopia III
Discord
Cormac#0804
I'm going to keep my platform brief and without too many frills, and if anyone has any questions they can feel free to ask.

I've been a Regional Assemblyman in the North Pacific since July 2012. In that time, I have never run for or accepted any office in The North Pacific just for the sake of having a title or if I believed there were qualified candidates who would do a better job than I would. As a result, I haven't held many offices here -- formerly, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs and (very briefly) Deputy Minister of WA Affairs. I have maintained reasonable activity in the Regional Assembly and I'm quite familiar with the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Legal Code. Although I don't have judicial experience here, I did serve for several months as Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Spiritus and I think this combined with my legislative experience here and elsewhere qualify me for the bench here in The North Pacific.

If you elect me to the Court, I pledge the following:

• I will remain active throughout my term as Justice, and thus won't cause some of the delays and backlogs we've seen occur in the past with inactive Justices;
  • I will interpret the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code reasonably and I will avoid the type of creative, manifestly incorrect interpretations that have occasionally caused significant problems in the past;
  • I will remain fair and impartial at all times and will interpret and apply the Constitution, Bill of Rights, and Legal Code as they actually are, rather than as I might wish they would be, and will avoid conflicts of interest or any bias toward anyone before the Court.
If these sound like qualities you would like to see in a Justice, I ask for your vote. If you have any questions, please feel free.

I'm glad you put your name forward in this election, Cormac. It's been a while since I've seen you campaign.

If elected, would you be likely to nominate for Chief Justice?

How would you deal with additional comments in the threads in the Court forums that are posted by random citizens not involved in the case?

In one sentence, how would you describe the previous courts term?

mcmasterdonia:
I'm glad you put your name forward in this election, Cormac. It's been a while since I've seen you campaign.
Thanks McM. :)

mcmasterdonia:
If elected, would you be likely to nominate for Chief Justice?
I'm not sure if you mean would I be likely to nominate myself for Chief Justice, or would I be likely to nominate anyone at all. If the former, no; if the other two justices wanted me to serve as Chief Justice, I would consider it, but otherwise I would think the Chief Justice should be someone with either more experience on the Court or more overall judicial experience (assuming such a person is elected). I would be looking for a Chief Justice who will be active and who has the most judicial experience.

mcmasterdonia:
How would you deal with additional comments in the threads in the Court forums that are posted by random citizens not involved in the case?
Superfluous comments shouldn't be allowed in the Court forums, which includes any comments by uninvolved parties in trials and any comments besides briefs in requests for review. We have a Public Gallery for a reason and that's where comments from uninvolved parties should go, and that would be where I would direct such comments.

mcmasterdonia:
In one sentence, how would you describe the previous courts term?
The previous Court's term was largely uneventful compared to prior terms, but there is room for improvement in regard to activity and consistency.

Hi Cormac! :hello:

I was wondering how you feel about the current broken justice system in TNP. What proposals or actions would you take to reform a justice system that takes our region's brightest legal minds and slowly grinds them into dust?

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. As you may have heard, I'm without home internet access at the moment.

I can only be brief in my answer, but I will definitely be dedicated as a Justice to doing everything I can to make sure the Court is functional and efficient. I hope this will include a full review of the Court rules with my fellow justices, to see if there is anything we can alter that would streamline the process and allow for a more functional system while still ensuring a fair justice system.

I would like to go into more depth but I'm afraid I need to be brief. For those concerned about my lack of home internet access, this situation will be resolved within the next couple of weeks. Thank you to those who have or will vote for me and I hope to be able to serve as one of the next justices on the Court.

Back