ARCHIVED: Checkers moves ahead

Iro

TNPer
OOC: For those unaware, Checkers is my nation in TNP and the one I RP with in TNP.

"And so in short," Dr. Voorhees explained to her audience of 20 enthusiastic TNPU students after class for the day had ended in Regional Politics 2: Checkers, "the government of Checkers has owned various tidbits on the island just north of it- known unofficially as Scagway Island- for various purposes. They refine oil and launch military planes. They rent out land to animal rights groups and such, which you could argue is illegal, since they don't own the land. No one does. It's been occupied by various Eskimo tribes for generations, so obviously every Check facility is within giant walls. The tribes aren't quite happy that we-"

"Marta!" Professor Collins from down the hall sprinted in. "I just watched a group of dark-suited men get buzzed in, asking for you. I think you'd better-" and lo and behold, a group of dark-suited men pushed past the econ professor and faced Voorhees.

"Ms. Voorhees, police. Do not say a word." Dumbfounded, Collins and the students watched as the group took Dr. Voorhees by the shoulders and led her away.

A bumpy, windowless van ride later, Voorhees found herself coming to consciousness opposite... NO. It was NOT Checkers Chancellor Cody Vassar. It couldn't be.

"I apologize for the rough ride, Professor," Vassar- was he actually talking to her? Yes he was. Oh, and he was going on. "We believe the University may have been monitored by a group of tribes, and we don't want them to know we're on to them. So I had my security team bring you here, which- by the way- is not found on any map."

"Why am I here? Why are you talking to m-"

"All in good time, Dr. Voorhees. The reason you're here is that last night- unbeknownst to the citizens at this point- a group of guerrilla Eskimos penetrated our air base on Scagway and sabotaged 12 planes. We know it was them. They didn't know we had backup security cameras. And one of them dropped blueprints of PETAcheckers' seal shelter base on Scagway, as well as some flight drill plans over Scagway occurring tomorrow. We don't even know how they got those. The point is, you're the region's leading expert on Scagway and these tribes, and we don't have many options at this point."

Voorhees breathed in. "As I see it, you have two options. The first is to remove entirely from Scagway-"
"Which is impossible," the Chancellor interrupted. "There would be a public outcry, PETA would make it out that we'd banned them for political reasons, we'd lose key military power in the Circle, and the income we get from oil refineries is infallible."

"Right. Then your second option is to come clean and just annex the island. That's the only way you can get enough military in there to squash the tribes."

"Professor, I can't just send the Naval Armada packing over to a random island and barricade the thing."

"Precisely. Which is why you'll come out with a statement tomorrow forcing the tribes to surrender the island after damaging crucial military resource."

"Is that a treat, Professor?"

At 7pm, the Chancellor addressed reporters at the Chrome Complex. "Thank you for being here," he began. "Yesterday, several mercenaries banding together from Scagway tribes directly attacked the nation of Checkers in an assault on crucial military resources. We accept their declaration of war and order in ultimatum that they surrender the island to Checkers Armada officers. As of now, because of their actions, we are now considering Scagway Island as surrendered territory to Checkers and will defend it as such."

The following is a transcript from today's 6:00pm broadcast of the National News Syndicate:

LILLY COOPER: And that's how the chicken learned to cook its own eggs. But enough about that- we've got a breaking NewsBrief.

(display nnsNewsBrief graphic: [img=110,80]https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxOUk5DDNgmqvcdIolvmqSrSgOQFweUmmmxvv7nL1Uzo0O_1U-oA[/img])

LILLY COOPER: This one's coming straight in from Scagway Island, where minutes ago Chancellor Vassar made an unannounced visit to the demolished Scagway Air Base- which was, of course, crawling with security detail. He was there to announce a successful occupation. We go live there now.

(cut to the live feed at Scagway Air Base. Chancellor Vassar stands at a podium flanked by soldiers)

CHN. CODY VASSAR: And so this is a direct announcement to any Eskimo enemies of the state. You cannot win. When you attack Checkers, we treat you like the enemy combatants that you are. I am happy to announce that the Naval Armada has taken the island, and S1 Intelligence reports that key tribe leaders are in custody. So it's my pleasure to inform the great nation of Checkers that the threat is gone. Checkers has now claimed the island.

Let me run you through the points that we've developed for Scagway Island- which will now be administrated in the Fourth Island District. Our friends in peta will be allowed and encouraged to keep their shelters and restore the island's wildlife to its natural state. Checkers will- as it has done- rent out WA-approved locations for drilling to major corporations, but since this is under national law, these oil rigs will now be subject to monthly critical inspections from the International Environmental Commission. Several air and naval bases will be built to reinstate Checkers' authority in the Arctic Circle- as well as for use in combatting international piracy and protecting our allies in Bentrada, Tim-Opolis and Kiwitaicho. Lastly, residency on central parts of the island will be approved through the National Welfare Office.

LILLY COOPER: And that was the Chancellor on Scagway Island- now an official jurisdiction of Checkers. And *taps earpiece* there is more breaking news. We go live to the Checkers Administrative Center in Ciessa, here's a press conference with National Administrator Philip Dagget.

DAGGET: Ladies and gentlemen, Checkers has additionally claimed the sea enveloping Scagway Island and is currently creating a naval presence there. The Checkers Assembly has officially resolved that the bay will be called the Ironic Gulf, in honor of Roger Ironic who was one of the founding fathers of Checkers.

Back