What is the proper protocol for requesting an exemption from RA membership to join the SC?

Eluvatar

TNPer
-
-
-
Pronouns
he/him/his
TNP Nation
Zemnaya Svoboda
Discord
Eluvatar#8517
To whom it may concern,

What is the proper protocol for requesting an exemption from Regional Assembly membership to join the Security Council?

The best of wishes,
~Elu

Since it is the Regional Assembly that grants an exemption you should probably ask the Speaker in that forum.

I don't mind answering here. SC exemptions from the RA follow non-legislative procedures. Simply propose such an exemption in a new thread in the RA forum and acquire a second. Once a motion to grant an exemption has been seconded, a vote will be scheduled.

I will point out that due to recent court decisions, it is questionable whether such an exemption is constitutional, given that SC members have been ruled to be government officials and all government officials are required to maintain RA membership. It's all very complicated.

Well the current law says "any Regional Assembly member ... may apply" so I couldn't accept an application from someone who isn't an RA member unless they have the appropriate exemption.

So if someone gets an exemption all they need is SC approval, right? I mean, they don't have to go back to the RA again, do they?

Great Bights Mum:
So if someone gets an exemption all they need is SC approval, right? I mean, they don't have to go back to the RA again, do they?
My reading is they'd have to get an exemption, the apply to the SC, and then go back to the RA to admit them.

Quite convoluted.

Honestly, now that the RA has to approve all applicants anyway, there's no real reason to have the RA membership requirement, because anyone they wouldn't grant an exemption to just wouldn't get approved.

r3n has proposed legislation that fixes this.

In theory the RA could be okay with someone being in the SC, but not okay with them continuing to be in the SC after they leave the RA.

Elu isn't the only one contemplating such a request.

When GBM and FEC's exemption requests were initiated they started in the SC, and then were taken to the RA for a vote.

As to the effect of the recent Court case, my suspicion is that this connumdrum is ample proof that the Court got it wrong since a different conclusion would have avoided the issue altogether.

The law has since changed, Grosse.

Elu, I believe you should go to the Regional Assembly and begin exemption proceedings there.

Hopefully that resolves his question. Any further conversations relating to changing the law, the validity of the Court decision, or what colour the witch's socks were in the Wizard of Oz belong elsewhere.

Thanks everyone.

I will ask for such a motion to be made.

For the record, the wicked witch of the East's socks were striped in black and white in the 1939 film of the Wizard of Oz.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Honestly, now that the RA has to approve all applicants anyway, there's no real reason to have the RA membership requirement, because anyone they wouldn't grant an exemption to just wouldn't get approved.
Not necessarily true. The vote for my exemption failed. Some people are against granting exemptions on principle.

Great Bights Mum:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Not necessarily true. The vote for my exemption failed. Some people are against granting exemptions on principle.
Then I would assume those same people would be against admitting SC applicants who weren't members of the RA, resulting in the same outcome.

This thread has been declassified for public viewing by the Vice Delegate. If you have any questions, please contact the Vice Delegate for more information.

Back