Security Council (Fall 2013) Reform Bill

The autumnal equinox has passed and the close of British Summer Time is a few short weeks away. Time again to reform our chapter of SC law.

Apologies for the short delay as it's been a while already since I said I was going to work on this, and now, inevitably drawing the attention of conscientious regional assembly members, do I have a polished and well considered draft proposal to offer you? Of course not, I took the path of least resistance:

Chapter 5: Security Council Law:
Chapter 5: Security Council Law

1. Any laws regulating the activities of the Security Council must be listed in this chapter.
2. In this chapter, "Council" means the Security Council.
3. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

Section 5.1: Requirements
4. The influence requirement will consist of a TNP influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to 300, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
5. The minimum endorsement count is defined as 100 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum endorsement count is defined as 40 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.
7. Where the computation results in fractions, the count shall be rounded down.
8. The serving Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.

Section 5.2: Admission
9. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
10. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

Section 5.3: Enforcement
11. Whenever any Council member fails to meet any requirements to maintain their position, the Vice Delegate must warn them, and if the Council member does not come into compliance within eight days of the warning, the Vice Delegate must suspend them.
12. The Vice Delegate must remove members of the Council whose member nation no longer exists, voluntarily departs The North Pacific, or resigns from the World Assembly outside the needs of a NPA sanctioned mission.
13. The Vice Delegate must report any suspension or removal of a member of the Council to the Regional Assembly.
14. If a suspended member of the Council comes back into compliance with the endorsement and influence requirements, the Vice Delegate will reinstate them.
15. A majority of the Council may vote to determine that the continued membership in the Council of a member poses a security risk to The North Pacific and request approval from the Regional Assembly to remove the member from the Council.
16. The Speaker of the Regional Assembly will submit the request to an immediate vote of the Regional Assembly; approval will require a two-thirds majority.
17. The Council may task a member with taking actions required under this chapter in the absence of the Vice Delegate.
18. During any period when serving as acting Delegate, the Vice Delegate will be considered absent from the office of Vice Delegate.
19. If the Vice Delegate nation ceases to exist, voluntarily departs The North Pacific, resigns from the World Assembly, or fails to maintain an endorsement level within the range required of Council members for more than eight days, the Vice Delegate will be removed from office.

Section 5.4: Sanity
20. The Security Council Law is to be applied in a reasonable manner.
21. If the continued membership of an SC member is in violation of the Constitution, the Vice Delegate (or Acting Chair) has the power to remove that member, but their decision can be overturned through an appeal to the Court of the North Pacific.

Obviously this needs some thought and I've agreed with Grosse we will work on it gradually.

I'll respond more tomorrow as it's late for me.

I feel that the minimum endorsement level for SC members needs to be raised to 200 endorsements. We need to ensure that the Security Council remains in the position where the highest amount of influence growth is possible.

The SPDR section might need to be lowered temporarily, as we are not sure what the appropriate level will be in 6 months time.

As part of this package we will also need to consider changes to the floating cap that we currently have.

I will also add that the SC has also started a discussion about what should be done in any amendments in response to the recent developments.

I am thinking we may have to revive a feature in the SC law we had in the past for a recommendation procedure for endorsements and now, the SPDR, while we figure out in real terms what these in-game changes result in. (This was a feature when the influence changes came into the game, along with the SPDR.)

I haven't had a lot of time this week, and some of my immediate RL concerns have rolled over into next week. (You have no idea how much time I lose because I have to get things to happen that others were supposed to do at a certain time, and then I have to get things rescheduled. I've lost over a day for one such matter this week alone.)

Perhaps the SC could be required to maintain at least 40% of the delegate's current count? That would avoid a hard limit and weirdness with delegate transitions as they raise their count.

Former English Colony:
Perhaps the SC could be required to maintain at least 40% of the delegate's current count? That would avoid a hard limit and weirdness with delegate transitions as they raise their count.

It's a good point, but the advantage of having a hard limit is it forces the SC to keep a higher count and so they don't drop to meet the count of a new D/VD. Perhaps the pros and cons of that should be re-weighed?

Back