DRAFTING: Security Council Law

mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
Influence changes have kicked in, time to do some drafting methinks.

Security Council Legal Code:
1. Any laws regulating the activities of the Security Council must be listed in this chapter.
2. In this chapter, "Council" means the Security Council.
3. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

Section 5.1: Requirements
4. The influence requirement will consist of a TNP influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to 300, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.

This needs to be changed. I'm not sure what to, though.

5. The minimum endorsement count is defined as 200 endorsements, or fifty per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum endorsement count is defined as 40 fewer endorsements than the serving Delegate's endorsement count, or eighty-five percent of said count, whichever is greatest.
7. Where the computation results in fractions, the count shall be rounded down.
8. The serving Delegate is exempt from endorsement requirements.

Section 5.2: Admission
9. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
10. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

Article 3. The Delegate and Vice Delegate

1. The Delegate will be the head of state and government of The North Pacific and hold the in-game position of delegate.
2. The Delegate may eject and ban nations from the region as permitted by law, and will eject or ban nations from the region when required by law.
3. The Delegate may negotiate treaties with foreign powers. No treaty will come into effect unless approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
4. The Delegate may veto a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law within one week of its passage. The Regional Assembly may override such a veto by a two-thirds majority vote.
5. The Delegate may appoint executive officers to assist them and may dismiss these officers freely. Executive offices may be regulated by law.
6. The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.
7. The Vice Delegate will hold the second most endorsements in the region.
8. The Delegate may eject or ban any nation which exceeds the Vice Delegate’s endorsement count.

Sections 8-9 will be renumbered 9-10 accordingly.

I think we should increase the minimum endorsement requirement. Ideally we need to consider an endo cap law, I would prefer a floating endorsement cap, because a fixed one isn't how we do things.

We are still required to regulate influence growth though, so I think something that prevents nations from holding a higher endorsement count than the nation who is fourth in the line of succession beyond the Vice Delegates.

I want to know what your general thoughts are about how we should implement these changes as well as specific drafts. I welcome the Attorney Generals input on this matter.

Remember this? Interesting how things change over time based on new circumstances. I obviously agree that the SC endo requirement should be raised, and 200 sounds like a very reasonable number. ;)

In regards to subsection 4 under section 5.1, I'm going to have to familiarize myself more with the in-game changes to influence before making a recommendation. We might have to get rid of SPDR as a metric of measuring influence, but grandfather in the SC members like you and Jamie that were admitted after the SC reform took effect.

The floating endo cap in TNP is what initially drew me to stay here, and I think it works well for our region. Your suggestion sounds fine, though I'm sure once this gets into debate in the RA there will be some tinkering.

With the influence change, this means that influence gained 6 months ago is dropped. So for anyone around for more than 6 months, their influence will gradually drop during this change.

Now, they’ll be gaining influence daily via their count today, but they’ll lose the years of accrued influence. To me, from a security perspective we have a few objectives:

-At least 5-7 nations with enough influence to discourage an external or internal coup. To do this, nations must be gaining influence all of the time. This will be done by default if they keep their endos high.
-Admit high-influence nations to the Security Council.
-Ensure that the system created doesn’t lend itself to security breaches.

Personally, I think we should change the law to be less driven by SPDR and more by consistently keeping an endo count above a particular level. Here’s how I believe we should work it. Each month, the Speaker or Vice Del should take a look at current total endos in the region. The delegate should have around 60-70% of those endos I’d imagine, leaning towards 70%+. Anyone on the Security council should be required to maintain 60-80% of the endorsement count of the sitting delegate. This means, each month the Speaker or VD would set what the 70-80% is and each SC member would be required to maintain that level of endorsement in order to keep the region secure.

As a caveat, should the delegate’s endorsement count change +/- 5% from what it was when the level was set, the Speaker or VD would adjust the SC level as well. As I think about it, one could just make the adjustments when there is a +/- 5% diff and not do this one a monthly basis.

Here’s how this would work today.
McM endos – 431
SC (60-80%) – 259 to 345
+/- 5% triggering change to SC level requirement – 22 endorsements (<409 or >453)

Any SC member who does not maintain this level for two consecutive months would be removed from the SC or some other punishment.

Any person wishing to apply to the SC would be required to file an application with the SC two months in advance of the standard app process. That person’s application would become publicly known and they would need to maintain endorsements between 50-60% (no more than 60%) of the delegate’s endorsement count for two consecutive months. This part seems overly bureaucratic, so I’ll simplify what I’m going for. In order to qualify to apply to the SC you need to maintain a particular number of endorsements for a particular period of time. Influence dies in 6months and we want SC members who are willing to put in the continual maintenance effort the new era will cause.

Those are my initial thoughts on things. As for a cap, I’m not quite sure what is best for TNP at the moment.

I agree with most of what you suggested - I'll post more on it later.

Regarding the cap, It is not how we do things to enforce a stringent cap like other regions do. If we are to implement a cap it should be a floating one, and implementing it while I am Delegate is a good thing as I am not trigger happy like other Delegates are.

We also need to regulate influence growth of unknown nations, that is why I think we need to ensure that we keep the SC as high as possible.

Under these circumstaces I would like to help with my current nation, but as you probably know I had a "backup" nation, Ehlnar, which still has a SDR of 276 and I hoped it was of any use for the Region.

I will wait to see how these changes are really afecting natives' ratings, but I don't like the fact R/D is having a heavier influence in-game than it should IMnsHO.

Edit: In fact Ehlnar has recently started dropping its influence, now it has 273... :/

Here are a few more details about the influence changes. Essentially, six months from now the accumulated influence of Former English Colony, Great Bights Mum, Groovistan, etc, etc will be for naught. Even Ashatwe is losing influence.

Based on the influence changes in-game, I think the recently passed SC reform using SPDR as a metric should be scrapped. Since the details won't be divulged, there is no way of knowing if this will have an effect in the GCRs - especially TNP - on how quickly a nation moves from a Minnow to Vassal.

The influence that they gained in the 6 months before will be 0. Influence that they have gained while continuing to endotart and what not would be retained. That is why we need to regulate influence growth so that we don't end up in a scenario where the SC doesn't have the ability to defend the region or remove a Delegate if required.

Right - previously SPDR only grew. Now it goes away after 6 months. It will be critical to have SC members who can do as McM suggests. If not, we'll be open to the attacks that will result from this. In order to preserve our democracy we're really going to need a solid SC membership to offset the changes to influence.

Things in the game should become very interesting 6 months from today.

First thing - we need to boost the SC's endos.

I think a floating endorsement cap to 60% of the Delegates endorsements needs to be in place. Or something that limits the endorsement maximum to someone lower down the line of succession.

We should increase the minimum endorsement requirement for SC membership to 200 or 250. On a temporary basis.

As SPDR will be changing we could consider lowering that requirement as well and then reviewing it again in 6 months.

I'm seriously thinking now about applying into the SC, then.

My older nation will lose most of its SPDR (still 273), but my current one, Avalon (now 300 SPDR) was created on April's fools and joined the WA even later, so almost 100% of that rating is still valid.

I would like opinions on that thought of mine.

edit: 10.04.2013- Ehlnar SPDR=272

1. Any laws regulating the activities of the Security Council must be listed in this chapter.
3. In this Chapter, the serving Delegate means the legal Delegate or, in the absence of a legal Delegate, the acting Delegate.

4. The influence requirement will consist of a TNP influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to 250, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
5. The minimum endorsement count is defined as 200 endorsements, or 60 per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is least.
6. The maximum endorsement count is defined as the Vice Delegates endorsement count or 75% of the Delegates endorsement count, whichever is less.

9. Any Regional Assembly member satisfying the influence requirement and endorsement count requirement may apply to join the Security Council.
10. An application which does not meet the appropriate requirements or ceases to meet them must be rejected.

The Sanity clause will help during election season when the endorsement levels fluctuate a bit.

Endorsement Limits Law

Currently this would allow nations to gain 270 endorsements. This is still very, very reasonable. It would keep our strong culture of tarting and endorsing in the region. I have included the word "may" for obvious reasons, it should not be an obligation on the part of the Delegate. The Security Council and the Delegate have always handled such matters on a consultative basis and I would want to see that continue.

1. The Delegate will be the head of state and government of The North Pacific and hold the in-game position of delegate.
2. The Delegate may eject and ban nations from the region as permitted by law, and will eject or ban nations from the region when required by law.
3. The Delegate may negotiate treaties with foreign powers. No treaty will come into effect unless approved by a two-thirds majority vote of the Regional Assembly.
4. The Delegate may veto a proposal of the Regional Assembly to enact, amend or repeal a law within one week of its passage. The Regional Assembly may override such a veto by a two-thirds majority vote.
5. The Delegate may appoint executive officers to assist them and may dismiss these officers freely. Executive offices may be regulated by law.
6. The Vice Delegate will chair the Security Council and enforce the continued eligibility of its members as determined by law.
7. The Vice Delegate will hold the second most endorsements in the region. The Vice Delegate should not exceed 80% of the Delegates endorsements.
8. The Delegate may eject or ban any nation which exceeds the Vice Delegate's endorsement count or 60% of the Delegate's endorsement count, or whichever is less.
9. If the Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the Vice Delegate will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is also unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the Delegate.
10. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will be elected by the Regional Assembly by a majority vote every four months. No person shall be elected Delegate to a full or partial term in three consecutive election cycles.

Amendment to Article 6 of the Constitution:
The following will be inserted into Article 6 of the Constitution:

6. Members of the Security Council should not exceed the Vice Delegates endorsement count or 75% of the Delegates endorsement count or whichever is less.
7. The Vice Delegate can grant an exemption to members of the Security Council in the event of a regional emergency.

Your changes look good. Are you going to introduce this as a separate bill from Chasmanthe's SC reform bill?

This is a new version. I removed the cap for the Vice Delegate, and I removed the constitutional addition for the Security Council as I figured it would fit better in the legal code.

Please let me know what you think. If you think this is fine, I'll get you all to vote on it and I'll put it to the RA

4. The influence requirement will consist of a TNP influence score (Soft Power Disbursement Rating) greater than or equal to 250, though when a nation's influence score within TNP is unknown as the displayed score may include significant influence within other regions, a TNP influence rank greater than or equal to Vassal may be substituted.
5. The minimum endorsement count is defined as 200 endorsements, or 60 per cent of the serving Delegate's endorsement count, whichever is lower.
6. The maximum endorsement count is defined as the Vice Delegates endorsement count or 75% of the Delegates endorsement count, whichever is lower.

The Sanity clause will help during election season when the endorsement levels fluctuate a bit.

Endorsement Limits Law

Currently this would allow nations to gain 270 endorsements. This is still very, very reasonable. It would keep our strong culture of tarting and endorsing in the region. I have included the word "may" for obvious reasons, it should not be an obligation on the part of the Delegate. The Security Council and the Delegate have always handled such matters on a consultative basis and I would want to see that continue.

7. The Vice Delegate will hold the second most endorsements in the region.
8. The Delegate may eject or ban any nation which exceeds the Vice Delegate's endorsement count or 60% of the Delegate's endorsement count, or whichever is lower.

9. If the Delegate is removed or unable to serve, the Vice Delegate will assume the duties of the Delegate. If the Vice Delegate is also unable to serve, the first available person in the line of succession will assume the duties of the Delegate.
10. The Delegate and Vice Delegate will be elected by the Regional Assembly by a majority vote every four months. No person shall be elected Delegate to a full or partial term in three consecutive election cycles.

Back