Mental Notes

punk d

TNPer
-
-
Several years ago (2006 to be exact) I became Consul of a place called, The Meritocracy. That place was where most of the games big boys played. You had ADN, NPO, other defenders, etc. in one place vying for supremacy. I played a character, Big D Baby, that is most like my own personality. Punk D is me on drugs, good drugs. But Big B Baby is me, the negotiator, the thinker, the user of non-inflammatory language.Punk D is much more blunt and lacking patience with his word choice.

When I became Consul, I wrote some notes for me to read if I ever found myself in a tight spot. The notes were to keep me grounded. McM, I hope you find them useful & if you do, perhaps others will as well. The Merit thought these were useful and we had them posted for future Consuls to review.

Couple notes: Jasque & Lord Thom were two very powerful and influential Senators of the Merit. Jasque is the best communicator I have encountered in the game by a country mile. The man could enter any difficult situation, size it up and put forth a solution that competing sides espoused as their own. Nuts.

Thom was a masterful cheerleader for projects and could get people together to get behind an idea.
XG - perpetual idea man, no one followed him at all.
ACC - Leader of a region Galt's Gulch. We ran for Consul a few months prior. First vote was tied like 20-20. Second vote, Jasque took his vote from me at the last second. It was a deal and tough loss, but I leveraged the loss for a later win.

Ok, so here are the notes. Enjoy.

Mental Note 1
Remember Bill Clinton.
- Bill Clinton allowed himself to be sidetracked from his objectives rarely. Pursue the goals, without letting the pitfalls get in the way. Accentuate the positive, eliminate the negative, and latch on to the affirmative - don't mess with Mr. In-between.

Mental Note 2
Begin with the End in Mind
- Ideas are for non-Consuls, don't have an initiative wherein you like the idea but don't have a specified end in mind. As a Senator you can do this willy nilly (read: XG) but as Consul you look disorganized, disheveled, and unprepared.

Mental Note 3
- A soft answer turns away wrath.
Proverbs is a good book - read the freakin' thing.

Mental Note 4
- Be careful who you trust.
Be prepared for a breach of trust, expect it. Not expecting a breach of trust makes you look pathetically weak if you are not determined to root it out. So either mute all loose lips, or shut your own.

Mental Note 5
- Refuse to become bitter.
The Senate consists of competing personalities/agendas. You've been able to traverse Meriterra sans any enemies thus far. Don't expect the trend to continue. Expect some efforts to fail and will some to succeed. Remember the Senate selected you for the job because you asked for it.

Mental Note 6
- Take nothing personal
Big D, do I really need to spell this out for you? Ok then. T-A-K-E N-O-T-H-I-N-G P-E-R-S-O-N-A-L. "Alright, I gotcha." Remember when you lost to ACC? That hurt right? "Yeah." You responded well. Do that in difficult situations. Refer to Mental Note 3.

Mental Note 7
- When in doubt do not lock a thread
Don't let the hands of mighty admins strike you down!!

Mental Note 8
- Stop trying to be liked.
Get some ba--s and live with your decisions.

Mental Note 9
- It's very difficult to push through foreign alliances in this incarnation of the Merit. Should have Jasque make any/all proclamations with Lord Thom on stand by.

Last sentence deserves it's on Mental Note.....

Mental Note 10
- Have Jasque make any/all proclamations with Lord Thom on stand by

Back