mcmasterdonia

Just like a queef in the wind, so is life
-
-
-
TNP Nation
McMasterdonia
McM4Del​

I have decided to run for the office of Delegate again. I would be honoured if I could win your support to hold the position of Delegate once more. Even though there is not currently a competitor for the position of Delegate, I will still post a general campaign:

Previous Roles

I have served the North Pacific as Minister for Defence under Delegate Blue Wolf II and Delegate Eluvatar. I have also served as Vice Delegate during Eluvatar’s first term as Delegate. In that time, I focused on expanding the membership of the Security Council and on amending the law to involve the Regional Assembly in the admission process.

I have also served as Delegate before. I was elected at the special election following Eluvatar's recall and was elected for my own full term a couple of months later, however I was forced to resign for personal reasons, rather than risking inactivity and stagnation from the office of Delegate.

If I am elected Delegate of the North Pacific, again, you can be sure that I will be an active and involved Delegate and will once more take the trust that you place in me seriously. I feel that I have demonstrated my respect and love for the community here and I will always act honourably and with what is best for our community in mind.

Integration

For my term I would like to make a stronger focus on Integration and getting new members involved in the forum. The Welcoming script was one way for us to be able to reach out to new nations, and to invite them to the forum. The Nationstates Admin team has recently announced an in-game welcoming system, so I will be able to run that permanently from my main nation. This will mean that I will get even more telegrams and that I can guarantee a more timely response to the newer nations. While we have an active community here, I would like to see some new people involved and some fresh ideas.

As part of that, I will be restarting the information for voters telegram to WA nations about WA resolutions. It will be tagged with WA campaigning, so that any nation who does not wish to see it can easily block it. My recent telegram campaign about the Condemn TNI resolution had a huge response from WA nations in the region.

Cabinet Changes! Less Cigar smoke!

With that in mind I would like to change around most of the cabinet. I would like to give other people the opportunity to serve in the various roles in cabinet and for us to be able to hear their input and for the executive to be able to carry out new and innovative ideas. The previous cabinet served it's purpose, but not much more than that. As Delegate I would want to have an involved and active cabinet that really contributes to the regions culture and actively involved in encouraging discussion. Currently Ministries are largely based around on the Minister doing everything (or nothing at all) with not a lot of involvement from other people.

It would be my goal to see the Ministries taking on more of a team to assist them in their duties. This would not require formal appointment or every assistant being considered a "government official". It would just mean that more people could assist in their area of interest, whether that be in Foreign Affairs or in WA Affairs or any other area that the executive oversees. Another important aspect of this is being able to make effective use of Deputies and actually involving them in the process rather than insisting on taking on the full responsibility of a Ministry on one person (A good example of this is Deputy Speaker SillyString taking on an actual role in the RA). I have seen other instances where offers of help have been shot down by others. I don't think this is a good attitude. I expect that activity will pick up over the next few months and that should for us to get more people involved in the executive.

I intend for the Vice Delegate - whoever that might be, to continue to be involved in the cabinet. I like all of the candidates for Vice Delegate as individuals.

I also would like to see cabinet meeting on a regular basis and with minutes being shared publicly like they used to be. This will help to bring more attention to what the cabinet is actually doing and what they are not doing. I got the impression in the past few months that there were a lot of RA members who didn't really know what the Delegate or the cabinet was doing, I think that regular cabinet meetings and the sharing of minutes can help with that. I am also open to the idea of public cabinet meetings where citizens and RA members may join in on the debate and ask questions of Ministers and the Delegate.

Foreign Affairs

I feel that we already have a healthy list of allies and I am not currently of the view that we need to expand much further on that front at this stage. I would naturally remain involved with our allies and continue to engage with them on an ongoing basis as I have done in the past. I would like for us to strengthen our relations with other GCRs and for us to continue to play an important role on the world stage. I would however prefer that none of our allies are couped for at least another 12 months :P

In the past term, I led the foreign affairs of the region. We ratified a treaty with Balder and a treaty with Europeia. We took a strong stand in the coup of the South Pacific and the coup of Osiris. I believe that I have proven my capability in the foreign affairs field in particular.

In the next term we will have a cultural event with Europeia to look forward to. It is my hope that this will result in an activity boost for both regions.

The NPA
"

The NPA has been fairly quiet in the past term and was only really actively involved in supporting our allies. It is fairly clear that we were more active around the time of the South Pacific coup than what we were when Osiris was couped. I think that the lack of Eluvatar's involvement also made a difference from our perspective.

Kiwi has announced his intention to step down as Minister for Defence once the election has concluded. He has been involved in the NPA, pretty much since it was restarted and was certainly involved in some of the more strongly worded debates about its direction. I admit that I am unsure about who to appoint as the next Minister for Defence. I would prefer it to be someone who is currently serving in the NPA and has a movable WA Nation. I will seek the NPA's advice on that once I am elected. I would invite anyone interested in serving in that role to send me a PM.

I feel that the goal for the NPA right now should be on the recruitment of new members and on the training of both new and current members. There has also been some talk of GCR war games happening. I would be interested to see that happen at some point in the future.

tl;dr

If elected, I promise to be an active and highly involved Delegate. I believe that there has been some change away from forum posting to chatting on IRC, while IRC has it's merits, my goal will be to remain connected, active and involved in our forum community and in-game community as my first priority.

I hold the North Pacific community and its members in very high esteem and I would not intentionally violate the trust of this community. I have proven that I can be trusted to put the North Pacific's interests first and that I am a trustworthy steward of the in-game Delegacy. I will continue to encourage activity on our forum and to encourage new nations to get involved in our forum community.

I hope to win your vote at the election.

Chasmanthe:
Why do you think offers of help are shot down by others?

Can you give any examples where this happened?
I think offers of help are shot down by others for a variety of reasons. Sometimes people feel like it is their responsibility and theirs alone and feel that it would be weak to share that burden with others. When I first became a Minister here, that was my view at first, this is my responsibility to shoulder etc. It took me a little while to bring in Ator People as Chief of Staff, and after a while you get used to having that team around you. The High Command of the NPA is quite effective at providing that framework.

In other situations it's because people don't wish to ask - or because they don't think the people are available to help them. As an example, we had a shortage of admins for a while that was not addressed for quite a while even when Flemingovia was the only active admin. FEC put her hand up to help and was taken onto the team - effectively dealing with a lot of the complaints people had.

In other examples you can look at the various recalls that have been successful here. Often people don't ask for help, or don't post the warning that they are too busy. These recalls are usually successful based on inactivity reasons and are a result of a failure to communicate. Communicate with others and pull them on board to share the work load and explain that you won't be available for a short time. In the Courts the justices can rely on each other and communicate with each other on that. The Delegate can rely on his cabinet and Vice Delegate to take lead in a short or sudden absence. The Attorney General can ask his deputies to carry out cases if he is too busy for that week to pursue them.

More recently, Punk D offering to assist with the welcoming telegram. I think that was largely due to a misunderstanding, but I don't think we should discourage people from getting involved and offering assistance.

McM - what are your feelings on Cabinet Meeting minutes and will your cabinet be publishing them again?

punk d:
McM - what are your feelings on Cabinet Meeting minutes and will your cabinet be publishing them again?
Firstly, I'd like to have regular cabinet meetings as I have said in the op. I think it is important that minutes are shared of cabinet meetings to provide people with insight into what the cabinet is discussing. As well as which Ministers are in attendance, how they contribute and what they contribute. Naturally, not all discussions will be released as some may concern matters of regional security.

How do you respond to claims that you influenced the Court to reject one potential opponent's bid to run for the Delegacy? How do you respond to claims that you then proceeded to steal certain campaign slogans and/or ideas from that individual? How do you respond to claims that you are clearly cursed considering the mods booted you out of the WA for a period of time, and thus shouldn't be made Delegate? How do you respond to claims that your Delegacy would be dreadfully boring, and that it would be more fun for everyone if there was a concerted effort to overthrow you?

A lot of questions. I haven't heard any of the claims that you are claiming have been claimed :P

How do you respond to claims that you influenced the Court to reject one potential opponent's bid to run for the Delegacy?

I reminded the court that a ruling had been made on the matter before. I had asked the court to review a similar matter before myself and at the time I was disappointed with that ruling. I feel that the only thing that influenced the court was the persuasive decision from a previous review, not simply because I commented on the thread.

How do you respond to claims that you then proceeded to steal certain campaign slogans and/or ideas from that individual?

I'm not sure what you mean. McM4Del? I think that is quite common and has been used before. I didn't even notice that McM4Del was your slogan.

How do you respond to claims that you are clearly cursed considering the mods booted you out of the WA for a period of time, and thus shouldn't be made Delegate?

Interesting suggestion. Given that the mods restored my nation to the Delegacy as soon as the could, I reject that argument.

How do you respond to claims that your Delegacy would be dreadfully boring, and that it would be more fun for everyone if there was a concerted effort to overthrow you?

I will aim to keep TNP interesting for its members. As Delegate I proposed a few different ideas that generated a lot of discussion, the result was not always what I intended - but a healthy debate is good for the region and I like to hear what people think even if they disagree with me. I would aim to continue to keep people interested and engaged.

A concerted effort to overthrow the Delegate would be more of an annoyance. We had a very prolonged campaign against Tim when he was acting Vice Delegate that more annoyed people than it entertained or interested them.

What do you think was the biggest failure of your previous term as delegate? Biggest success?

What about the term that is coming to an end?

SillyString:
What do you think was the biggest failure of your previous term as delegate? Biggest success?

What about the term that is coming to an end?

Regarding the first question - I think the Concord treaty was a significant failure. For one thing there was a complete an utter failure for the Delegates to appropriate convey what they were intending to do with the draft that was agreed upon. I was under the impression that other parties had viewed the treaty and that was the one we were proceeding with. Looking back on it though, I feel that we made the right decision in not pursuing that treaty further. I am less keen on multiregional alliances these days.

On the second point, I am not sure about a personal failure as I feel that I have completed my duties without any real incidents. I think that the Delegate was not as active as I would have liked and that the issues with people feeling that the executive was disconnected and detached from the forum were not addressed despite many attempts I made to address them.

Tim:
Would you agree to a Debate?

Of course. Assuming we can find a time that suits us both.

What exactly possessed you to enthusiastically encourage me to run for Vice Delegate and then throw your support behind another candidate? You are playing with my heart and feelings like they were toys. :(

Democratic Donkeys:
What exactly possessed you to enthusiastically encourage me to run for Vice Delegate and then throw your support behind another candidate? You are playing with my heart and feelings like they were toys. :(
I always encourage people to run in elections. It keeps it interesting. Nothing worse than a boring election. I didn't mean to hurt your feelings.

I'd love to help organize a debate if you two are interested, but I remember we've got a U.S. vs Australia time difference here.

Huh. For me, it was always just an out of character channel for friends. This certainly wouldn't be the only channel that NSers have private conversations in and I find it odd that it is being used to suggest as such. For most people that are familiar with mine, Cormac's and Tim's history with each other in particular, it would be known that we have often had furious disagreements about gameplay related issues. What is important is that you can set that aside and still be friends, that is what that channel was about.

I don't recall any discussion about disrupting Spiritus or Mordor relations or planning any coordinated smear campaign for that matter, I am not involved in either region at all (Spiritus or Mordor), and I like the founders of both regions personally. What the two regions do with each other does not concern me.

Well, the welcoming script that we have running now has had a good response. The main difference with the admin system is that it will come directly from my main nation, and it will not disrupt me from conducting other business by telegram that I will have to do as a regional Delegate.

It also means that nations will see the telegram coming directly from the person at the top of the region, which is likely to get them to respond to that tg more readily. Negatively or positively. I don't mind :P

I will also use it to encourage the new members to join the World Assembly and to endorse the Delegate and Vice Delegate and direct them to the forum. The usual stuff really :)

Back