Petition

In the Security Council vote, I accepted abstains into the formal tally as well as the official count. I did so as it was the custom that I had followed throughout my career as Speaker and was custom before I was Speaker. I now ask the Court whether this action was in the spirit of the Constitution and if these actions can be reversed for the Security Council.

Official Court Ruling Regarding Abstentions in RA Voting

The Court finds that the intention and spirit of the Constitution and Bill of Rights of The North Pacific support the opinion that abstentions should count towards the establishment of quorum but should not count as part of the body of votes used to determine either approval or declination of a given piece of legislation or election vote.

To clarify, Regional Assembly members may cast a statement of "present" or "abstain" and have their voice contribute to the establishment of quorum but those declarations are not in and of themselves votes. Votes are defined as either a clarified affirmative or negative declaration and only those items should be considered in the final tally to determine whether a vote or bill achieves the necessary percentages for passage or failure.

I do not think this should be applied retroactively to votes, as people would have likely voted differently if they knew that their Abstain wouldn't count except for making Quorum.

As I posted in the related RA thread, this is not automatically retroactive to any voted upon legislation.

If any member of the RA wishes to have specific votes reviewed then the Court will do so on a submitted case by case basis.

I thank the Court for its speed and prudency however in my original petition, I was not asking for a retroactive ruling but a ruling on the specific case of the SC vote. I will repost:

In the Security Council vote, I accepted abstains into the formal tally as well as the official count. I did so as it was the custom that I had followed throughout my career as Speaker and was custom before I was Speaker. I now ask the Court whether this action was in the spirit of the Constitution and if these actions can be reversed for the Security Council.

In light of the ruling it would seem clear that you, as Speaker, can reverse your decision with the support of the Court in that particular instance since it was a part of your petition.

Admittedly, the decision and ruling of the Court did go several measures beyond your perhaps intended request by stating its opinion that such votes go against the spirit of the Constitution and Bill of Rights in all cases but that should not inhibit your privileges as Speaker to retract previous decisions.

Back