RA Text Messages?

Discord
COE#7110
I am in a position to send regular updates to the Regional Assembly by text message through a service called Remind101. Remind101 is designed for school teachers to communicate with their students safely and securely, but it is a free service and can be used for all kinds of other similar purposes, such as the Speaker communicating safely and securely with the members of the RA. I would not receive your phone number, and you would not receive mine.

Now, I'm not gonna go to all that trouble if I'm only gonna be reaching three people, so this poll is here to gauge interest. Signing up for the service would involve texting a code to a number. I would probably only send a message to inform you when a vote or an election began, and then to inform you of the result when it was over. Sound good? Lemme know in the poll.

Well, yes and no. When I'm active, I wouldn't care to have reminders. I already know what's up. But there have been periods - sometimes fairly long - when I've been too busy to be as involved as I like. Then it would be nice to get a nudge.

So, on the whole, I think the service would be useful, it is a wonderful idea, though I personally wouldn't want it continuously.

Frankly I think if people can't be bothered to check the forums during our insanely long voting periods, that's their problem. You already do plenty as speaker to keep people in the loop - if that's not enough for them, that's a "them" problem. Participation requires effort - this would amount to soliciting opinions and expecting zero input or participation beyond "HERE CAST YOUR VOTE!" I'm not a fan for this situation - it's something I've used in other games where time is critical (EVE Online, for emergency fleet notifications for example) but not something the RA should need.

Edit: I'm going to vote No, but I want to clarify that I'm voting No not because I'm opposed to text messaging, but because I'm opposed to the even-lower expectation of participation it would mean for the RA.

I personally voted No because I am active enough that I would not sign up - but upon reading Gaspo's comments and reflecting, I think he raises a very good point. It's something that makes sense for matters with very short deadlines - hell, the Court might be able to make use of it as a "you have 24 hours to submit briefs - but given how long the RA already has to check in, it does seem like it might reward people for not paying attention.

I'm very unlike many others in this game in that I don't wish to talk to people on the phone about this game...so that extends to not wanting a text message asking me to vote.

Whilst I would support it... I don't use my phone very often, and its kept turned off. I'd prefer email reminders if reminders must be sent.

Back