TNP Civil Liberties Union

Romanoffia

Garde à l'eau!
I would like to explore the possibility of creating a Civil Liberties Union for TNP.

The purpose of such a Civil Liberties Union would be as follows:

1.) To assure that Civil Liberties are preserved and upheld in an impartial and just way.

2.) To establish a Defense Action Committee to fight any and all violations of Civil Liberties no matter who small and insignificant (because a lot of little tyrannies add up to a big tyranny) and to argue the cases for those whose rights have been violated.

3.) To create a Communications Committee to keep people informed as to the state of their Civil Liberties.

4.) To assure equal access to due process, elections and the governmental process.

5.) To break our 'tradition' of allowing arbitrary and capricious practices to run over the Constitution and Legal Code.

6.) To establish a New and Simplified Constitution and government in general via the constitutional processes available.

7.) To create a legislative agenda to promote Civil Liberty and to preserve the same while we can.

This is not a political party, per se. It is an honest effort to actually get things changed for the better and not fall back into our same old 'tradition' of bureaucratic crap that tramples our Civil Liberties.

The only question I have, are there enough people out there serious enough to take on this task?

I am interested in this.

I think we've got to have some means of identifying the civil liberties that the bill of rights provides and assessing how they are experienced by TNP citizens.

Romanoffia:
I would like to explore the possibility of creating a Civil Liberties Union for TNP.

1.) To assure that Civil Liberties are preserved and upheld in an impartial and just way.

2.) To establish a Defense Action Committee to fight any and all violations of Civil Liberties no matter who small and insignificant (because a lot of little tyrannies add up to a big tyranny) and to argue the cases for those whose rights have been violated.

3.) To create a Communications Committee to keep people informed as to the state of their Civil Liberties.

4.) To assure equal access to due process, elections and the governmental process.

5.) To break our 'tradition' of allowing arbitrary and capricious practices to run over the Constitution and Legal Code.

6.) To establish a New and Simplified Constitution and government in general via the constitutional processes available.

7.) To create a legislative agenda to promote Civil Liberty and to preserve the same while we can.

This is not a political party, per se. It is an honest effort to actually get things changed for the better and not fall back into our same old 'tradition' of bureaucratic crap that tramples our Civil Liberties.

The only question I have, are there enough people out there serious enough to take on this task?
1.) 3.)

Who or what gives you legtimacy or impartiality to deal with these issues?

2.) 4.) 5.) 7.)

It's just a parallel authority out of control from the bulk of TNP citizens.

6.)

I agree with this.

Mr. Freeze:
Romanoffia:

1.) 3.)

Who or what gives you legtimacy or impartiality to deal with these issues?

2.) 4.) 5.) 7.)

It's just a parallel authority out of control from the bulk of TNP citizens.

6.)

I agree with this.
On your first point...

What gives me the legitimacy to deal with these issues?

The very same legitimacy for anyone to deal with these issues in any way they wish, impartial or otherwise. TNP is still a Democracy with freedom of speech last time I heard. It is an individual right and part of basic civil liberties for anyone and everyone to deal with 'issues'. That's what a Democracy is all about.

"It's just a parallel authority out of control from the bulk of TNP citizens."

The TNP Civil Liberties Union isn't about being a parallel authority. It's about giving a voice to the People and preserving and promoting Civil Liberties as guaranteed by the Bill of Rights and Constitution, and the preservation of due process and equal access to the system as a whole.

It is the duty of the people to keep an eye on the Government and make sure that the Government remains the servant of the People, not its master.

Romanoffia:
It's about giving a voice to the People

I'm also the People and I didn't allow you to speak in my name. You can't speak in the name of the People, just in your name.

COE:
Wait a second...Romanoffia is starting the TNP equivalent of the ACLU.

We are all somebody else's commie. :duh:

Mr. Freeze:
Romanoffia:
It's about giving a voice to the People

I'm also the People and I didn't allow you to speak in my name. You can't speak in the name of the People, just in your name.

COE:

We are all somebody else's commie. :duh:
Well, then we can make a note of it in our files specifically not to speak for you and if you ask for our help, we will remind you of that. :lol:

@

What's commie about a Civil Liberties Union? I don't recall the ACLU being commie by any stretch of the imagination.

I think Mr. Freeze used "commie" as the right-wing substitute for "extremely liberal."

I have been a card carrying member of the ACLU for 10 years. While I do not agree with their position on many issues, when it comes to upholding free speech in America, where else to you go? They have gone to bat for me - and won - three times when local municipalities have tried to enact legislation to limit political campaigning activities.

And we have a flying pig! :courtmadearuling: I love it!

Great Bights Mum:
I think Mr. Freeze used "commie" as the right-wing substitute for "extremely liberal."

I have been a card carrying member of the ACLU for 10 years. While I do not agree with their position on many issues, when it comes to upholding free speech in America, where else to you go? They have gone to bat for me - and won - three times when local municipalities have tried to enact legislation to limit political campaigning activities.

And we have a flying pig! :courtmadearuling: I love it!
Can you help make this Civil Liberties Union work for TNP?

I don't think we have the same thing in UK but there's an organization called Liberty. I once walked past Shami Chakrabarti on a zebra crossing outside the Royal Courts of Justice.

In a twist of logic I am now considering joining RL pressure group in an attempt to become a more productive TNPer.

I'm a card-carrying conservative (in the US sense of the word) and I am also a card carrying member of the ACLU since 1981.

Civil liberties continue to be mixed with conservative and constructionist points of view. I support civil liberties, and I'm a liberal. Problems, anyone? The U.S. Democratic Party loves freedom as much as the rest of you.

Furthermore, I'm making the conscious and lazy choice not to scroll back up to see who called liberals communists, and I suggest you seek the members of Libertatem if you wish to engage in that slander.

Iro:
Furthermore, I'm making the conscious and lazy choice not to scroll back up to see who called liberals communists, and I suggest you seek the members of Libertatem if you wish to engage in that slander.
Relax, it was just a joke. :P

The ACLU is quite a libertarian institution, if I may say so. I plan on becoming a member of it in the future. However, this is in the scope of TNP. The TNPCLU will always argue for the protection of personal liberties and create political agendas for furthering these liberties and inform members through private message how the TNPCLU plans on voting on certain bills and elections and we will hope that members will vote in the manner that the TNPCLU does. Of course, as our founding principles, we will not force anyone to vote on anything that they may not want to vote our way on, as we believe in fairness and freedom to choose.

Gracius Maximus:
I wouldn't mind taking part in the Defense Action Committee.
It's good to see former delegates taking an interest in Civil Liberties.

Hopefully your influence as a former Chief Justice will lend some weight to the cause.

I imagine that the Defense Action Committee is a group who will spring into action and defend the rights of citizens when they become threatened. Is that how you envisage it?

Funkadelia:
If you don't mind Romanoffia, could I take over leadership position as Chairman of the TNPCLU?

Absolutely. Go right ahead!

Gracius Maximus:

Welcome back, GM. Good to see some old hands coming back again!

You would be perfect for the Defense Action Committee. Your expertise and experience is a welcome addition!

Romanoffia:
Funkadelia:
If you don't mind Romanoffia, could I take over leadership position as Chairman of the TNPCLU?

Absolutely. Go right ahead!

Gracius Maximus:

Welcome back, GM. Good to see some old hands coming back again!

You would be perfect for the Defense Action Committee. Your expertise and experience is a welcome addition!
Defending civil rights with arbitrary decisions. :P

Mr. Freeze:
Defending civil rights with arbitrary decisions. :P
I have been many things in the NS world and taken part in many actions that have upset multitudes of nations, but I have never done anything arbitrarily. Every action had a purpose, even if the less enlightened couldn't comprehend the vision.

Because in Iro's campaign thread Funkadelia said:

On behalf of the The North Pacific Civil Liberties Union, I endorse you as the best candidate for Speaker of the Regional Assembly to advance civil liberties in the region.

Great Bights Mum:
Because in Iro's campaign thread Funkadelia said:

On behalf of the The North Pacific Civil Liberties Union, I endorse you as the best candidate for Speaker of the Regional Assembly to advance civil liberties in the region.
Thanks. I found it now:

Funkadelia:
Yes. Iro is by far the best candidate as far as allowing the RA members to do as they wish within the legal limits of the RA. The TNPCLU does not stand for made up laws unless absolutely required to deal with cases that may appear that have no definition or solution defined in the Constitution or Legal Code. We believe Iro is the only credible candidate who will follow through on his campaign promise to further the liberties of North Pacificans.

LOL :) I try to be factually correct, and am still in full support of the TNPCLU! If you guys want me to take it down, just say so!

Speaking of which, why was I not informed first when someone was curious about my own signature? :P Funk, know you can use me in any way, except probably as a lawyer.

Project idea for us to consider:

Simplification of legal code/Constitution.

What can be done to cut out the fat and simplify everything? Anyone want to help on this project?

I want to see the entire government totally reformed, personally. Also, the TNPCLU will not be endorsing any judicial candidates because there are too many members of the organization running in said elections.

Come on, Funk. You're a member of the freaking Civil Liberties Union, just endorse yourself. No one else's gonna care.

Funkadelia:
I want to see the entire government totally reformed, personally. Also, the TNPCLU will not be endorsing any judicial candidates because there are too many members of the organization running in said elections.
Well, we could endorse everyone including ourselves. What a novel idea! :clap:

1. I got kicked from the IRC on fridayedit:saturday. Presumably I have no rights in regard to this, it could have been a case of the op removing a disturbance (i.e. me) in the most effective way possible, can anyone offer me some guidance?

2. I got kicked from a different channel last year and I was given an apology by a non-op because allegedly, ops are supposed to actually ask somebody to leave before kicking them - that's the only time I've heard of that policy so I doubt that courtesy to troublemakers is the expected practice.

In either case, in all likelihood I was the one in the wrong. I am still troubled as to what I actually did wrong (spamming and maybe abusing other members?) and how to improve my behaviour.

The last line that was said to me was "trivialities to hide what you should really be sorry for" and I am at a loss to identify what this refers to - there are so many things I've done wrong it needs to be spelled out to me.

Kicked or banned?

Also, are you questioning the ops' authority to take action? Last time I checked, which is when Gov was making a fuss out of it, ops can do what they want and the government has no authority over it...

Back