COE for Speaker

Discord
COE#7110
COE.png

For Speaker

Creativity. Order. Experience.

Official Campaign Theme Song
I would like to begin by thanking you all for allowing me to serve as your Speaker these last few months. I am proud to join the ranks of the few elected officials in The North Pacific who have served a full, regular term from start to finish. (Knock on wood - still a couple weeks to go!) I don't feel the need to post a long campaign thread this time, because I think I've gotten to know the community well enough, and you've gotten to know me well enough that it's not really necessary. For the most part, you know what I'm all about: trying to be the very best Speaker that I can be. Striving to be the Speaker that you deserve.

I hesitated to run for reelection, because I am aware that there will be two periods when I am absent this summer, each lasting for two weeks: June 23 - July 7, and July 11 - July 25. To account for this, I have appointed a new Deputy Speaker, SillyString. Most of you might know her better as Astarial. She is intelligent, capable, and very enthusiastic. With a bit of training on my part, she will be more than equal to caring for the Regional Assembly in my absence. If I lose the election, I would heartily encourage my successor to keep her on board.

While the opening post of this thread is nothing too lengthy or involved, the thread in its entirety will be a major part of my campaign. Throughout the election cycle, I will be posting brief lessons I've learned and anecdotes from my first term as Speaker. I'll attempt give you guys an inside look into the job of the Speaker, and my own personal approach to my responsibilities. I hope you enjoy it!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the role of the Speaker is to turn the will of the Regional Assembly into reality. I humbly ask for your vote to continue in that noble endeavor.

I'm only going to vote for you so Asta will hang around more. I'm still frothing mad at your tradition argument. You stink! :P

(was way too laudatory in here, best of luck in seriousness :) )

Yes I think it's worth voting for COE so Asta is around more :O

You have my vote regardless, you've done a great job.

Thank you all for your kind words, and for your votes! It's with pleasure that I present part one of the ongoing series:

[border=forestgreen,1,solid]COE's One-Minute Campaign Stops![/border]
One the first day of my term as Speaker, I updated the Regional Assembly rolls. Something like 17 people needed to be deleted, but even more needed to added, some 20+. It was then that I learned what a pain in the ass it was to add lots of people to the RA at once, and I promised myself that I would never get so far behind on the list that I would have to do anything like that again. Since then, the largest number of RA applicants I've had to add at once was five, I believe.

To view an accurate and well-maintained list of RA members, go here. :)

Ooh ooh! And on that same note, I'd like to add that I began Asta's deputy speaker training yesterday, and she has successfully added and removed members from the RA!

It's with pleasure that I present part two of the ongoing series:

[border=forestgreen,1,solid]COE's One-Minute Campaign Stops![/border]
When I first started here in TNP, the only people I knew were my fellow raiders: Mall, Blue Wolf, Jamie, and a couple others. But since I became Speaker and started taking on community-wide responsibilities, that circle has expanded to include many more! To those of you I've befriended over the last four months, I'd like to thank you for all the advice and support you've given me this term. I'm sure that without your help, I would have made a lot of mistakes. In particular, I'd like to thank the legal experts that have helped me stay out of court over the months. I'd like to thank the old-timers who have helped ground my decisions in the historical context of TNP. And most of all, I'd like to thank the new members of the Regional Assembly who joined during my term and have just begun to play an active role in shaping our regional policy. I hope you all continue to grow in your undestanding of TNP law, and someday start writing and submitting your own bills, or even become speaker yourselves!

If you had to pick a pop music video to represent your campaign for Speaker, what would it be and why?

If there are 100 members of the Regional Assembly and there are five votes on RA rule changes in sequence each of which takes one week and the votes are:

Vote[c]For[c]Against[c]Abstain[c]1[c]40[c]30[c]10[c]2[c]30[c]31[c]4[c]3[c]30[c]35[c]5[c]4[c]15[c]10[c]3[c]5[c]14[c]13[c]2

What can you say for certain?

What if the votes are about simple legislation?

COE has been an exceptional Speaker, and I am glad to see he is running again. In addition to painstakingly carrying out the duties of his office, he should be commended for setting an example for responsible and moderated use of the right to resort to the Court, especially through the judicial review instrument. If more of our citizens followed his example, they would find themselves having much less complaining about the Court to do.

Eluvatar:
If there are 100 members of the Regional Assembly and there are five votes on RA rule changes in sequence each of which takes one week and the votes are:

Vote[c]For[c]Against[c]Abstain[c]1[c]40[c]30[c]10[c]2[c]30[c]31[c]4[c]3[c]30[c]35[c]5[c]4[c]15[c]10[c]3[c]5[c]14[c]13[c]2

You can't tell anything for certain, unless you assume that no one's TNP nation leaves or ceases to exist during that time period.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Eluvatar:

You can't tell anything for certain, unless you assume that no one's TNP nation leaves or ceases to exist during that time period.
No... that's wrong.

You are right and I am silly. More complete answer forthcoming.

In my defense, this is really a question about math, not about being Speaker.

For completeness, some further explanation.

#tnp:
17:47 <+COE> Elu, question about your question
17:47 <@Eluvatar> yes?
17:48 <+COE> Are all the votes counted valid?
17:48 <+COE> i.e. do the vote totals include votes from members who left the RA between when they voted and the end of the voting period?
17:48 <@Eluvatar> The question says "the votes are"
17:48 <@Eluvatar> invalid votes would not "be"
17:48 <+COE> That makes this a bit easier
17:48 <@Eluvatar> iow it's meant that those are the actual vote counts
17:49 <@Eluvatar> not simply a count of vote posts

The first, fourth, and fifth votes pass, and the RA rules are edited accordingly. The second and third votes do not pass. (NOTE: This answer is assuming that I am the Speaker, and that I enforce my rules about changing the RA rules, which are that they may be changed by a majority vote of the assembly and quorum rules do not apply. If I'm not the Speaker, or I'm not applying my policies, friggin anything could happen.)

If it is simple legislation:

The first vote passes, and the Legal Code is edited accordingly. After the vote is over, there are at minimum 80 and at maximum 100 members in the Assembly.

The second vote reaches quorum, but does not pass. After the vote is over, there are at minimum 80 and at maximum 100 members in the Assembly.

The third vote reaches quorum, but does not pass. There are still at minimum 80 and at maximum 100 members in the Assembly.

The fourth vote may or may not reach quorum depending on how many nations remain in the RA. At the end of the voting period, there are between 80 and 100 people in the assembly. If it is between 80 and 84 (inclusive) the vote passes and the Legal Code is edited accordingly. If it is 85 or greater, the motion fails to reach quorum, and does not pass. After the vote is over, the number of Assembly members is at minimum 80 and at maximum 100.

The fifth vote may or may not reach quorum depending on how many nations remain in the RA. At the end of the voting period, there are between 70 and 100 people in the assembly. If it is between 70 and 87 (inclusive) the vote passes and the Legal Code is edited accordingly. If it is 88 or greater, the motion fails to reach quorum, and does not pass. After the vote is over, the number of Assembly members is at minimum 70 and at maximum 100.

The first part of my answer is wrong...
<Eluvatar> > quorum rules do not apply
<COE> Sure, why not?
* Astarial blinks
<Astarial> why don't quorum rules apply?
<COE> It's the RA rules. I get to make up my own procedure for how to edit them
<Eluvatar> COE believes they don't to rule changes
<Eluvatar> > 4. The quorum for any vote of the Regional Assembly except elections will be a third of its membership.
<Eluvatar> constitution seems clear on that though <_<
<COE> Ahh damn.
<COE> It's the RA rules. I get to make up my own procedure for how to edit them
<Eluvatar> COE believes they don't to rule changes
<Eluvatar> > 4. The quorum for any vote of the Regional Assembly except elections will be a third of its membership.
<Eluvatar> constitution seems clear on that though <_<
<COE> Ahh damn.
In that case, changing the RA Rules works just how simple legislation does.

Back