Adspam Policy Consultation

Cove

TNPer
Recently, I've been thinking over whether our current adspam policy is really the best and most sustainable policy for us, as a region, to adopt, and I'd like to hear your views on it.

Current Policy: All adspam is suppressed as well as their nations being banned.

Alternative Policies:

Ideological Based Policy: Adspam is allowed, except for certain regions e.g. GGR.

No Ban: All adspam is allowed, with no themes specified.

Themed Adspam Restrictions: Adspam is allowed, provided it complies with a certain theme as explained in the World Factbook Entry, an example of a theme would be requiring all ads to be written in haiku.

I'd also be interested in hearing any alternative policies.

I think it would be beneficial to appoint an executive officer (or assign a current executive officer) to be in charge of RMB advertising. Regions who wanted to post advertisements could register their ad with him, and if it met certain standards of quality, taste, length, style, etc, then it would be allowed. Others would be banned/suppressed. We might even play around with ad licenses that expired after a certain period of time, requiring regions to come up with an advertisement substantially different every so often. The goal here would be to make render ads fresh, possibly entertaining, and relatively non-annoying. We could also limit the number of regions allowed to advertise at a time, and rotate them out.

I think if the TNP government would put a little effort into regulating advertisements in a responsible and cooperative way, we'd see plenty of regions willing to submit to our regulations. A ban-everything approach tends to turn off advertisers, and make them more likely to ignore our policies.

And let's face a certain reality: not everyone in our beautiful region wants to stay here. And not everyone who wants to leave wants to go to a region with an aggressive telegram campaign. It might be a nice public service to allow some RMB advertising for the benefit of those residents. I was recruited by an RMB ad myself, back in the day, and while I think the RMB should primarily be for conversation among TNP residents, I don't have a problem with an advertisement here and there, so long as they aren't garish, overly long, or too frequent.

I do agree with some of the points Crushing Our Enemies has made. However, I don't think we need an executive officer to approve of the registering of ads, because our ad requirements could start changing again over time. In such an instance, do we inform the leaders of these recruitment campaigns or do we assume they'll pick up on the one link we'll just inevitably (if we're lucky) post at the top.

We can't simply ban all adspam. That won't work anyways, as COE has pointed out. We need to set up a policy where they aren't garish, long, or rule breaking in general and stick to the general policy overall.

Also, I support a continued ideological ban of adspam by Nazi oriented regions and enemies of the North Pacific (if we ever have enemies again) for fairly obvious reasons. At this point though, banning all ads doesn't really seem feasible and it just makes work for the Delegate.

Crushing Our Enemies:
I think it would be beneficial to appoint an executive officer (or assign a current executive officer) to be in charge of RMB advertising. Regions who wanted to post advertisements could register their ad with him, and if it met certain standards of quality, taste, length, style, etc, then it would be allowed. Others would be banned/suppressed. We might even play around with ad licenses that expired after a certain period of time, requiring regions to come up with an advertisement substantially different every so often. The goal here would be to make render ads fresh, possibly entertaining, and relatively non-annoying. We could also limit the number of regions allowed to advertise at a time, and rotate them out.

I think if the TNP government would put a little effort into regulating advertisements in a responsible and cooperative way, we'd see plenty of regions willing to submit to our regulations. A ban-everything approach tends to turn off advertisers, and make them more likely to ignore our policies.

And let's face a certain reality: not everyone in our beautiful region wants to stay here. And not everyone who wants to leave wants to go to a region with an aggressive telegram campaign. It might be a nice public service to allow some RMB advertising for the benefit of those residents. I was recruited by an RMB ad myself, back in the day, and while I think the RMB should primarily be for conversation among TNP residents, I don't have a problem with an advertisement here and there, so long as they aren't garish, overly long, or too frequent.
:agree: I'd assume it means an existing executive officer

It is funny but I think the region would benefit from a ban/suppression. So keeping it the same.

As I have said before on our RMB, I completely disagree with Crushing our enemies about assisting people who want to recruit from us (they can get free and public available scripts for that). The most I think we should do is if asked, tell them how to move region.

I like creative adspam, but I admit it's hard to come up with decent requirements for it sometimes. Outright ban is fine in the mean time. As far as I am concerned, only the worst recruiters for regions try and recruit in this way. It's not effective, and I don't see why we should aid them in making it effective. It's only decent for us if its hilarious. A suppressed post hardly interferes with our discussions.

mcmasterdonia:
I like creative adspam, but I admit it's hard to come up with decent requirements for it sometimes. Outright ban is fine in the mean time.
My system would solve this, because the requirement would be "Would I be OK with this on the RMB? Is it good enough?" That's better than any arbitrary requirements we can put on then.
mcmasterdonia:
As far as I am concerned, only the worst recruiters for regions try and recruit in this way. It's not effective, and I don't see why we should aid them in making it effective. It's only decent for us if its hilarious. A suppressed post hardly interferes with our discussions.
Like it or not, RMB recruitment will never go away. This isn't something the government should just ignore. It's a major issue for any feeder, and I think the government needs to take an active hand in regulating it, not just pretend it isn't there.

IRL advertisers pay for their ad time. The host gets some sort of benefit from it. Only when we require the ads to have some entertainment value do we receive any benefit. So, I like having them post limericks, jokes, riddles, jingles, trivia questions, talk like a pirate, add "in my pants," etc. It makes me feel like we're getting *something* out of it.

I also like creative, hilarious AND short adspam, I especially miss the haiku requirement from Eluvatar's Delegacy. Anything funny, written in one or two lines is not so invasive (lol I don't even know if that word exists in English)...

I'd say take the haiku back and no nazi spam whatsoever.

In the interests of testing different policies, I've decided to temporarily implement theme based restrictions. If anyone has any alternative themes they wish to suggest, they can feel free to do so. If this new policy does not work, the former policy of the complete ban will likely be re-implemented.

I really do like COE's suggestion. It encompasses a few points of what everyone has in mind- limiting ads to those we choose would give us an ideological choice. If we choose to place thematic requirements on those submitted, or just limit to good taste, we continue to give TNP a good time, as GBM said. And it continues with the safety benefits of having a full-on ban, since that adspam that isn't registered will get banned and suppressed immediately.

Also, I think it merits noting that Lennart's suggestion about haikus was unconsciously in haiku form. "Anything funny, written in one or two lines is not invasive"

anything funny
written in one or two lines
is not invasive

Iro:
Also, I think it merits noting that Lennart's suggestion about haikus was unconsciously in haiku form. "Anything funny, written in one or two lines is not invasive"

anything funny
written in one or two lines
is not invasive
Woah... O_O

I'm even better than I thought when I did that! I guess I'm awesome

Back