Regarding a Literary Competition

Hey guys,

Zeorus and I have been working on a Literary Competition and we've come up with a few things. I've compiled a list of rules for the Competition, and would like some feedback:

Rules:
1. All works must be ORIGINAL, written, works. Works that can be submitted include (but aren't limited to) short stories, poems and article/opinion piece (regarding Real Life or NationStates)

2. You may submit a literary work that is no greater than 2000 words from the 28th of April, 2013 at 12:00 AM Eastern Standard Time to the 12th of May, 12:00 AM at Eastern Standard Time.

3. There will be three judges, all of whom will remain anonymous. They will be awarding signature graphics for winners in categories that will be decided at the close of the competition.

4. Your literary work may be of anything you desire to write about. There's no set theme, so feel free to explore the possibilities and write about anything you desire.

Please give me questions, comments, thoughts, complaints, etc. I would like to hold this competition and possibly make this an occurring thing... if this goes well, I would like to look towards a literary competition with a theme every month.

It's actually very hard to write a short story that is 1000 words. Most short story competitions are within the range of 2500 to 5000 for this reason but it's up to you.

Jamie told me not to put up a prize. I did ask.

I agree that the number is a bit low. My own writing usually goes up to 2500 words easy.

At any rate, I am planning on pushing forwards if possible. I know that seems stubborn, but the worst case scenario is that interest isn't buzzed and it falls flat. Best case, this could be a reoccurrence.

Crushing Our Enemies:
Alvino Castillon:
Jamie told me not to put up a prize.
Unless that was followed with "or I will fire you" I think putting up a prize is a great idea. Even if it's just a sig graphic.
Oooo a sig graphic! Plenty of people on the NS forums can make nice ones too :P

Crushing Our Enemies:
Alvino Castillon:
Unless that was followed with "or I will fire you" I think putting up a prize is a great idea. Even if it's just a sig graphic.
Just for the record, I objected to anyone spending any money on this 'prize'. I have no objections to the general idea of a prize.

Jamie:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Alvino Castillon:
Just for the record, I objected to anyone spending any money on this 'prize'. I have no objections to the general idea of a prize.
Ah, yes. That would be prudent.

Jamie:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Alvino Castillon:
Right sorry. First thing I thought when the word prize was mentioned, I thought of that conversation... I should probably not do things at 8 AM. Sorry Jamie, didn't mean to take that out of context.

Yes, I'll look into a sig graphic as soon as possible. I'll probably expand the word limit to 2000 words as well.

Alvino Castillon:
Jamie:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Alvino Castillon:
Right sorry. First thing I thought when the word prize was mentioned, I thought of that conversation... I should probably not do things at 8 AM. Sorry Jamie, didn't mean to take that out of context.
It's fine. I probably wasn't very clear when I discussed it with you, and I apologize for that.

Jamie:
Alvino Castillon:
Jamie:
Crushing Our Enemies:
Alvino Castillon:
It's fine. I probably wasn't very clear when I discussed it with you, and I apologize for that.
It's not a problem. Glad that got worked out.

I updated the rules in the opening post to reflect suggested changes. I think this will be a good base to work with.

Back