Gay couple accused of raping adopted children

Ravenna

TNPer
There does seem to be a certain focus by some on the sexual crimes committed by Gay couples. The reality is that it is a huge issue, regardless of the sexuality of the perpetrator, and it it carried out by many 'straight' people. The largest amount of which occur from a family friend, or trusted member of ones life.

Only the finest tabloid journalism by the New York Daily news. Could not be in more agreement with mcmasterdonia. A rapist is a rapist no matter their sexuality. Child abuse in general is an often overlooked issue even though I would personally argue that it is a primary cause of the perpetuation of the cycle of violence in society. :(

Either the "parents" are lying and are guilty, or the children are lying. Both options are not happy ones, and I hope everyone gets the help they need, though I doubt it. The men would be sentenced to jail which is far from rehabilitative, and the foster kids would be put back into the foster care system where abuse is endemic.

You are right, DD. There really are no winners from something like this. Assuming the men go to prison, that is some justice for their victims.. but the damage is already done. It is a lifelong scar that can never be healed.

mcmasterdonia:
There does seem to be a certain focus by some on the sexual crimes committed by Gay couples. The reality is that it is a huge issue, regardless of the sexuality of the perpetrator, and it it carried out by many 'straight' people. The largest amount of which occur from a family friend, or trusted member of ones life.
I think it's not true. The media like to pay attention to all disguisting cases of abusing, raping and murdering.
Recently in Poland they are constantly talking about several cases where mothers killed their own (little) children in a very cruel matter.
Besides, the focus should be on any sexual crimes, regardless of gay or straight committers.

It's just the fact that this one particular case is already being used by zealots :P

It is a sad fact that idiots will now use this as a weapon against all gays. Some of the comments on that article are disturbing.

And one tends to be sceptical when other children adopted by the couple are saying the ones who are making the claims are lying. And you do wonder how would a 5 year old even know to accusing someone of that unless someone else had planted the ideas in his mind?

Yes, but on the other hand it's seems totally unequal and unfair to give home to 9 boys and no girl.
Especially in case of people who talk about equality practically all the time. I say - love equally so adopt children equally!

What an odd, and dare I say trivial, detail to focus on.

Agreeing with Kingborough, childrens testimony is worthless in essence. As to how a 5 year old would know... I came across an article that said one of the children, a brother of the accuser, admitted they were raped, just not by this couple, but the people they were housed with before (hence my comment about abuse in foster care being endemic). That is how a young person could know about sexual assault, because it happened to them.

Not to cast doubt on the lying angle. It could very well be the older one of the original accusers got the younger one to go along with the lie. But it seems like one or the other has had experience with this before to have the capacity to make such allegations.

I'm always cautious about thinking of children as liars in things like this. Its of course possible that they have been coached about what to say - but that can and has before gone both ways. Kids need to be encouraged to speak up about this sort of thing. It's something my parents made very clear to my siblings and I, no matter what it was, we could tell them. I know people who have experienced this sort of thing and are too afraid to come forward out of fear of their families not believing them.

http://www.courant.com/community/gl...irth-sentencing-0406-20130405,0,2804735.story

This article has more pertinent detail, and does not use "gay couple does x y and z" in the headline, so there's that going for it. While I do agree with taking the victims at their word initially, this happened 2 years ago. It is worth pointing out that the primary accuser's own brother, who was also adopted by these men, flat out said his brother is lying and mentally disturbed. That was what I was getting at with my comment. Kids are not reliable because they are extremely susceptible to persuasion, and beyond that do not have a full awareness of the consequences of making those types of accusations. Whether these men are guilty or not their lives have been completely destroyed, and that is not an attempt to garner sympathy for them, just to point out the danger of being too credulous.

Let me preface my statement by saying that I support the current definition of marriage being that of a man and a woman.

Let me also state that singular incidents, in my opinion, should not dictate how we as a society chose to form our society. Be it some crazy person shooting a movie theater, a gay couple molesting their adoptive children, or a few priest molesting young boys, anecdotal 'evidence' that this is right or wrong only succeeds in diluting the true debate we should be having on real issues. And what it instead does, is lead to witch hunts and a phrase I love, intellectual laziness.

In summ, i don't really listen to many media personalities or the like who try to connect one incident with the larger issue context to imply "see!! this is why this is right or wrong". We all can find examples that support our differing ideologies if that's the bar we set for ourselves.

Gay, straight, bi, or whatever sexual predators come in all shapes, sizes, colors, creeds, and religions.

punk d:
Let me preface my statement by saying that I support the current definition of marriage being that of a man and a woman.
I'm not sure why 1. you'd bring this up and more importantly 2. why you hate America and the ideals it was founded on?

I don't know what to make of this thread other than Punk D started his post off with utter and complete nonsense: your definition of marriage doesn't have any bearing on the matter at hand.

Interestingly, "couple" does not reveal whether two people are married or just in a monogamous relationship.

I tried finding my Traditional Dictionary to look "marriage" up, but marriage existed before dictionaries and definitions, or so i'm told...? Any help?

And recent evidence suggests early humans (post-flood of course) inbred a ton, so not sure what people are even suggesting as a traditional marriage. :blink:

[me]marries a woman because that is what he has seen his whole life and for no other reason.

Aw hell yeah

Democratic Donkeys:
What an odd, and dare I say trivial, detail to focus on.

Agreeing with Kingborough, childrens testimony is worthless in essence. As to how a 5 year old would know... I came across an article that said one of the children, a brother of the accuser, admitted they were raped, just not by this couple, but the people they were housed with before (hence my comment about abuse in foster care being endemic). That is how a young person could know about sexual assault, because it happened to them.

Not to cast doubt on the lying angle. It could very well be the older one of the original accusers got the younger one to go along with the lie. But it seems like one or the other has had experience with this before to have the capacity to make such allegations.
It is a trivial detail to focus on. A crime is a crime is a crime.

The part that interests me most in the second article you linked Democratic Donkeys is the following;

Santos said there are school reports that outline lying by the accusers and hallucinations on the part of one.

punk d:
Disappointed that folks only read the first sentence of my statement and stopped reading.
I read the rest of your post and I didn't get why that first part was relevant.

I'd still like you to answer my question though.

punk d:
Gay, straight, bi, or whatever sexual predators come in all shapes, sizes, colors, creeds, and religions.
^This is pretty much what I think.

I hope most people doesn't draw general conclusions from a single incident.

Back