Boston Marathon

2 blasts occurred at the finish line of the boston marathon today. At least 2 people are dead, and over 2 dozen injured. Police have discovered and defused 2 additional devices. Not much else is known at this point. :(

I work about 3 blocks from the explosion and had a few friends running today. Of those that I've checked everyone is ok, but this was a work holiday and so I wasn't in the city.

But things like this anger me, people just running with their kids, friends, and families....just isn't right.

So from what I've gathered, this is what is known thus far:

-At around 2:50 Eastern, two bombs detonated within 100 meters of each other at the finish line.
-23 are reported injured with "limb amputation" injuries
-Two are confirmed dead. One possibly a child.
-According to bomb experts, the bomb appears to have been a high explosive.
-Many news stations have called it an IED, however most authoritative sources have not called this a 'terrorist' attack.
-The FBI, on the other hand, has reported that it is 'treating it like one'.
-No individual or organization has claimed credible responsibility.
-Additional explosive devices have been found; at least one has been destroyed remotely by BPD.
-The fire at the JFK Library is unrelated.

Nothing will be known until a full investigation can be carried out. It seems to me that most of the networks (NBC Nightly News, CBS Evening News, ABC World News) (yeah, the original networks :P )seem to be refraining from extraordinary speculation.

Finally, Reuters is running a live feed with twitter updates from prominent news organizations, and flash messages from government organizations.

Don't be surprised when some fringe terrorist groups claims credit when they've actually had nothing to do with it. I remember reading a story about one group that claimed credit for the I-35W Mississippi River bridge collapse long after it was determined that it was a structural flaw and neglect that lead to the disaster, not terrorism.

Of course, if it is a terrorist group, they will probably at least wait until there members are clear before claiming responsibility, assuming, of course, this was not a suicide attack. Good possibility its homegrown terrorists, too, although the goal of this attack seems to me nothing more than to make a statement and kill random Americans. Even the Oklahoma City bombing, which occurred April 19, 1995, oddly just one day before Hitler's Birthday, targeted a Government Building, not just a random crowd.

It should be noted that, other than being known for Marathon Monday and Tax Day, this April 15th was also Patriots' Day in Massachusetts. Probably just a coincidence, but the Oklahoma City Bombing also occurred on Patriots' Day (the actual event, not the marked state holiday) in 1995.

This time in April seems to be a popular month for terrorist attacks and planned massacres in America. The Virginia Tech massacre happened 16 April 2007, the Columbine High School massacre happened 20 April, 1999, and the Waco siege ended on 19 April 1993, which I believe is what inspired the Oklahoma City bombers to pick the date two years later.

This entire week is a very important time period for violent American extremists, particularly the militia movement, so homegrown terrorism is a good possibility.

Edit: Seems I am not the only one who noticed this.

You speak for most everyone right now, very nice punk.

Apparently there are some pending arrests. Cellphone and private cctv may have helped the authorities zero in.

Edit: Maybe not

Terrorist attacks like this are going to be the new 'normal' in the US. Mainly because the US refuses to secure its borders and some in the government are pushing to grant blanket amnesty to millions of people here illegally without even so much as a consideration of who they are granting 'amnesty' to.

Immigration has nothing to do with this bombing, to suggest otherwise is pure stupidity. In any case, perhaps people wouldn't enter this country illegal if we didn't make it so that it was virtually impossible for hard working, upstanding but impoverished immigrants to enter this nation legally. We as Americans have seemingly forgotten that is was our masses of poor but eager immigrants that built this country, not the rich or intellectual elites.

Blue Wolf II:
pure stupidity.
Heh, this is roman we're talking about. I would usually have to go out of my way to find someone peddling reactionary bs, but I can enjoy this from the comfort of my computer chair.

Edit: I lied, I don't have a computer chair.

Edit 2: I lied, I don't enjoy it

Edit 3: I lied, I didn't edit my post at all

The second suspect has been taken into custody after a standoff in a backyard in Watertown in which he was hiding in a boat.

4ef.jpg

Blue Wolf II:
Immigration has nothing to do with this bombing, to suggest otherwise is pure stupidity. In any case, perhaps people wouldn't enter this country illegal if we didn't make it so that it was virtually impossible for hard working, upstanding but impoverished immigrants to enter this nation legally. We as Americans have seemingly forgotten that is was our masses of poor but eager immigrants that built this country, not the rich or intellectual elites.
:clap: Bravo! Well said!

Back