Lord Byron for Delegate

Lord Byron for Delegate
Leading Toward Engagement and Participation by All​
Most humble greetings to my most honored fellow citizens!

I have chosen to accept the nomination for Delegate because I believe that I will be able to affect positive change in TNP with the assistance of the current Government.
I envision an increase in the amount of participation by current and new citizens, including members of Government. However, I am a pragmatist. Am I going to be able to make TNP a thriving Region with an active Government and engaged citizens? No, not by myself. Will I be able to work with the current Government in order to facilitate increased Governmental and Citizenry participation? I hope so.
The following is my vision and plans to make this happen.

Organization / Structure of Information
The layout of the Delegate’s Government Forum will be modified, so that anyone should be able to quickly find the information that they are searching for. Additionally, the sub-folder descriptions will be made clear to aid in searching.
This applies also to folders that are maintained by the Delegate’s Government within Port Thel.
This is important so that new citizens do not become frustrated and then disinterested in being active in TNP.

Communication
The Communications Ministry will post the TNP Wire monthly. This will help to keep TNP citizens engaged with the overall TNP community.
Also I would like this Ministry to handle Freedom of Information requests.

Culture & Entertainment
The current Minister of C&E is doing an excellent job, and will be supported in continuing work within Port Thel; this being the intended first stop for new citizens and the place for citizens and Governmental members alike to engage in non-Governmental subjects, it is a critical area in the quest for increased participation and engagement.

Foreign Affairs
Well maintained communication with other Regions is vital to retain the participation of Interregional citizens. I will assist the FA Ministry with sustaining a sufficient Diplomatic Corps.

World Assembly Affairs
It is imperative that all GA and SC Resolutions be voted on by the Delegate. I will maintain the current policy of enlisting TNP citizen votes in order to determine how to cast the Delegate vote. The WA Affairs Ministry will, in a timely manner, post to the forum the Resolution at vote as well as a neutral explanation of the issue.

Defense
The Defense Ministry will continue to defend all of TNP’s allies, as well as Regions that have been raided. The Army may continue in offensive actions against founderless Regions.
I will work to make the NPIA (North Pacific Intelligence Agency) a link between the NPA (North Pacific Army) and the SC (Security Council).
I will continue to enforce TNP laws and NationStates rules with ejection and/or banning.

Legislation
Separation of powers is [obviously] important; as such I will not vote in the RA while Delegate. The Delegate’s veto power must be used only in the most extreme cases; thus I do not anticipate ever exercising this power.

1st Time Delegate / Final Words
Perhaps you are wondering if, as a 1st time Delegate, I will be the next McMasterdonia. The answer is simple and it is a no – those shoes are too big to fill.
As I mentioned 500 words ago I am a pragmatist, and as such I know that I cannot succeed without the assistance of some of the greatest minds in TNP. I will seek wise counsel in order to act for the betterment of TNP.

What do you think are your worst traits? What do you think are your best traits?

What would you do to counterbalance any bad traits that may negatively affect your time as Delegate?

Lord Byron,

1. If you would be removed from the RA due to not voting, would you post votes of 'abstain' to avert this and keep RA membership?

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
3. Could you elaborate on your WA policy?

Thank you.

What of your cabinet? Will you publicly announce all appointees as opposed to copy-pasting from IRC conversations, with a reasonable explanation as to why they deserve those appointments? Will you require their deputies to do the same thing?

Will you have an elected cabinet or appointed one? If elected, will you accept the results?

Alvino Castillon:
What do you think are your worst traits? What do you think are your best traits?

What would you do to counterbalance any bad traits that may negatively affect your time as Delegate?
Bad trait: My use of sarcasm (sorry to the Speaker for that whole honours proposal thing)
I would negate this by controlling it. Being in a position that publicly represents TNP I understand the importance of being VERY careful with your words.

Good trait: Wow, so many! I'll keep it down to 7. Best is my pragmatism (mentioned earlier).
I do not have illusions of grandeur or unrealistic expectations. I will rely on the current cabinet and their experience, as well as that of others that I feel I can trust.

Chasmanthe:
Lord Byron,

1. If you would be removed from the RA due to not voting, would you post votes of 'abstain' to avert this and keep RA membership?

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.
3. Could you elaborate on your WA policy?

Thank you.
1. I definitely value RA membership and would vote "abstain" in order to retain it.

2. I think it is about being better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all. However, a simple search on the "Internet" reveals that it is about the inevitable decline of all empires, no matter how great. I reject this notion and promise that TNP will always remain the best Region in NS. (Refer to bad trait in previous post)

3. To clarify
Lord Byron:
I will maintain the current policy of enlisting TNP citizen votes in order to determine how to cast the Delegate vote.
I mean that I might exercise the right to vote as I see best fit, as was clarified by the RA.

Govindia:
What of your cabinet? Will you publicly announce all appointees as opposed to copy-pasting from IRC conversations, with a reasonable explanation as to why they deserve those appointments? Will you require their deputies to do the same thing?

Will you have an elected cabinet or appointed one? If elected, will you accept the results?
For this term I would retain the current cabinet and their deputies.
In the event of a General Election, I would appoint a cabinet based on interest and abilities.
Upon appointment, I would officially announce this, and require the Ministers to do the same for their Deputies. However, I would not provide explanation unless asked (I would hope for a certain level of trust in my decisions).

Belschaft:
Could you outline your experience and past governmental positions in NS?
I presume that you are referring to other Regions...
I do not have puppets and do not participate on forums of other Regions; I have always been in TNP.
Within TNP, I have been in the RA since I joined the forum.
Thus, as I have said previously, I will elicit the counsel of not only the Executive Council, but also that of those who I highly regard.

Having never held a governmental position, either in TNP or anywhere else, what on earth makes you think you are either qualified or experienced enough to run the largest region in the game?

Belschaft:
Having never held a governmental position, either in TNP or anywhere else, what on earth makes you think you are either qualified or experienced enough to run the largest region in the game?
What I lack in experience I would hope that I make up for in wisdom and humility.

In the politest way possible;

Having examined your posting record, I have been unable to find a single example of you proposing any legislation, and discovered what I can only term a shocking pattern of ignorance of both TNP's own laws but also basic game mechanics. Could you provide a brief explanation of how the following function;

- The government of TNP
- The game mechanics behind the selection of a a delegate, and how this may be used by players

I apologize if I seem overly critical and inquisitive, but you are running for the highest office in the region and as such it is vital that you possess a certain level of knowledge of such things.

Further to this, could you comment on any one recent court decision, and explain both what it means and what you think of it.

Belschaft:
Having examined your posting record... [I have] discovered what I can only term a shocking pattern of ignorance of both TNP's own laws but also basic game mechanics.
:o You may be refering to my discussion here. I was attempting to argue from a theological point that NS "mechanics" is actually NS "law" and that TNP law is superceded by it. And also that since NS power is given to the Nation with the most endo's but TNP forum power is given to the Nation with the most votes, that there is a disconnect between the two.

Belschaft:
Could you comment on any one recent court decision, and explain both what it means and what you think of it.
The indictment of fraud against Govindia here, was particularly concerning due to the dangerous precedent it would have set attacking our right to free speech, and I was very happy that he was found not guilty.
I think you did an excellend job of explaining the court's decision. If you want me to reiterate it, then
  • (1a) Flem's coca-cola arguement was ridiculous
  • (1b) Govindia was not being serious
  • (2) The prosecution failed to prove that fraud had even occurred
  • (3) The prosecution failed to prove that Govindia intended to commit fraud.
I completely agree with (1a) and (1b). It was obvious to everyone what Govindia meant and Flem's arguement was silly, but it was also obvious that Govindia was not being serious, and that he was role playing along with everyone else; this was the most disturbing fact of the indictement.
Regarding (2) and (3), I am not going to argue if sufficient evidence was provided or not.

Back