Criminal Law (Amendment) Bill

This seems good. If it passes, will we still be able to bring a criminal case of gross misconduct if a government official violates a non-criminal part of the legal code?

Can you provide an example of such a violation? In order to constitute a violation of the oath, it would have to be in an "gross or excessive" manner.

If I were delegate and changed the regional flag to a flag that looks exactly like The Empire's flag (I definitely wouldn't) then would I be brought up on charges?

The better question is whether you would be convicted of those charges - anybody can bring charges at any time, which doesn't mean the AG will file exactly those charges or that the court will accept them.

So the answer to your question depends on the answer to two other questions. 1) Is flying a flag other than the official TNP flag illegal? 2) Does changing the flying flag constitute a "gross or excessive" abuse of power?

Obviously interpretations will vary, which is why we have a court system. But someone's ability to bring a whole new set of specious charges is no reason not to have a reasonable version of those charges in our criminal code.

SillyString:
...Obviously interpretations will vary, which is why we have a court system. But someone's ability to bring a whole new set of specious charges is no reason not to have a reasonable version of those charges in our criminal code.
True, and the AG also has the ability to not pursue frivolous and specious charges. Judges can also dismiss blatantly bogus charges.

As an aside, bringing 'nuisance' or 'frivolous' lawsuits (that is, legal actions designed to use the court as a means of revenge in a factitious, specious or fraudulent manner) could be construed as 'contempt of court' should the case actually get heard. But I diverge.

The proposed amendment(s) look good to me.

After carefully thinking about the following part of the amendment:

8. Gross Misconduct will be punished by removal from office and/or the suspension of voting rights for whatever finite duration the Court sees fit.

I conclude that this gives the court too much latitude in the penalty phase. What is a 'finite' duration? A week? A year? A century? A aeon? Two cycles of the Shivite cycle of the Universe?

It's consistent with other punishments in the legal code. You'd best launch an amendment process.

Though I would note that this is a Court Justice telling us we effectively can't trust him. Nice to know.

Great Bights Mum:
Sanctaria:
Though I would note that this is a Court Justice telling us we effectively can't trust him. Nice to know.
Oh, pshaw. He was talking about a hypothetical future court.
He just said "the court". Not "a hypothetical future court".

So you can pshaw all you want, but that's what was written.

Back