Resignation

punk d

TNPer
-
-
Hi all - when I entered this position, I had a lot of high hopes and dreams. I did not think we'd win every case but I hoped we'd win some but more than that I hoped that we (and I do me we) would bring a sense of common sense to the office of Attorney General.

Backlog and Banality

When I took office I think there were between 6-8 cases that had been left derelict by not the outgoing AG but the predecessor, Grosse. If I recall, I believe Abbey was AG for about a month, had taken some notes (which were helpful) and due to time commitments I believe had to resign.

I don't know if there is another role other than delegate that is so time consuming in The North Pacific. I tried to think about the justices who must make rulings and preside over cases but I do not believe that even given the number of cases we have before us that the pull on their time is as significant as this role. I underestimated the time commitment but I think I could have dealt with that if not for what I perceive is the banality of the court.

It is my perception which makes it my reality. It doesn't necessarily mean it's true, but it is true for me. I have grown cynical in every court case not presided over by Hileville and certainly do not wish to go in front of justices whom I perceive as having double standards. It's not that I 'can't' do it, I just choose not to.

My Resignation
And for those reasons, I resign from the office of Attorney General effective at the end of the next judicial election cycle. Our laws dictate that any case I am currently working on I must see through to completion and I will do that. I hope, at minimum, that I do not leave my successor with a hefy backlog of cases. If my sucessor wishes to relieve me of any particular case - they will not receive an argument from me. In fact, they might see me do a little
dance.

And now I'd like to thank a few people:

Gaspo
To an outside observer, he seems like an odd person to thank, but I'm grateful we have Gaspo in our region. He is a very good defense attorney and I learned a lot from our interactions with him. You'll note that my reasoning for resigning noted time commitment and banality of the court. I have no problem with anything Gaspo (defense attorney :p) did and actually believe any would-be defense attorney would learn a lot from him.

Hileville
I have enjoyed my interactions with this justice. I can trust his decisions to be consistent. I understand the bounds and limits and while I may or defense may try to push them, I do not feel his treatment of either will be different. TNP is lucky to have Hileville as its Chief Justice.

Iro
Iro, Iro, Iro. Iro is enthusiastic and he's trying. I fear for him if he seeks and gets this position as I fear for anyone who does it. But my hope for Iro is that he will have a different experience than my own.

The RA
And last and certainly not least. I thank you, RA, for having trust in me to fulfill the duties of this role. I'm my own worst critic and I did not live up to my expectations in this role. As many of you who have known me throughout the years I may take unusual positions but I stick by them and they are consistent. For instance, 2 years ago some thought it was a ruse that I wanted to be condemned - it was no ruse and I still like the shiny badge. But, I am never averse to admit mistakes and errors, I've made a number of them in this position. To be honest - I actually like that I made mistakes because if you learn from mistakes you can grow. And I have grown from my time in this role and I am sorry I was unable to fulfill all of my campaign promises. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to serve and until I leave this role I will serve to the best of my ability.

Regards,
PD

EDIT: One note - I made this decision weeks ago and informed my Asst. AG's of my intent not to run again for office. I just feel now is a good time to publicly post this so that whomever would like to run for this office in the next election cycle is well aware of my intent to leave.

Thanks for your service, Punk.

Not sure I like the implication that I have double standards, since I've never had an opportunity to practice as a Justice in TNP before now, and certainly have never had any interaction with you before either, but you're entitled to your opinion.

I wish you well in any future endeavours you may undertake.

Sorry to see you go, but understandable. Hope you still will stick around in TNP.

Thanks for your hard work sir *salutes*

Back