Chief Justice Election (Amendment) Bill

r3naissanc3r

TNPer
-
-

1. Article 4, Section 2 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

2. The Court will consist of at least three Justices, who will select a Chief Justice among themselves.

2. Chapter 4, Section 4.5, Clause 15 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

15. The election cycle for the terms of Justices, and the Attorney General will begin on the first days of the months of March, July, and November.

For reference, I highlight below the changes to the Constitution and the Legal Code effected by this bill, using BBcode annotation:
Article 4 Section 2 of the Constitution of The North Pacific:
2. The Court will consist of a Chief Justice and at least two associate a least three jJustices., who will select a Chief Justice among themselves.

Chapter 4 Section 4.5 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific:
15. The election cycle for the terms of the Chief Justice, Associate Justices, and the Attorney General will begin on the first days of the months of March, July, and November.

The purpose of this bill is to change the way the Chief Justice is elected. To describe its effect in a single clause: instead of the Regional Assembly separately electing a Chief Justice and two Associate Justices, they will be electing three Justices who then will be internally electing one of themselves as Chief Justice.

The proposed system has, I believe, two important advantages over the current one. The first has to do with a serious inefficiency of our current electoral system. Consider the following, very likely, scenario: In a judicial election, there are two outstanding candidates, and two of considerably lower quality. The two good candidates both have aspirations to become Chief Justice, and therefore submit their names to that ballot; the two bad candidates, on the other hand, enter the Associate Justice ballot. As a result, the election returns a Court comprising one good and two bad Justices. Contrast this with my proposed system, which would result (assuming voters select reasonably) in a Court comprising two good and one bad Justices.

The second advantage is that the proposed change reinforces a role for the Chief Justice as a primus inter pares among their colleagues. The additional duties and power afforded to the Chief Justice are mostly of administrative nature (their only power outside the Court is to appoint Electoral Commissioners). Yet it is not unimaginable that a Chief Justice could use their direct legislation to assert themselves additional legitimacy, and exploit that to achieve undue additional influence during Court deliberations, or to "boss around" the Associate Justices1. This would be undesirable behavior, both because it would be an overstepping of the Chief Justice's authority and it would negatively affect the outcome of court cases. My proposed change reinforces the administrative nature of the Chief Justice's role and the collegiate nature of the Court, and makes such abuse more unlikely to occur and easier to control.

The current draft does not prescribe a procedure for how the Justices would select the Chief Justice. I personally prefer to leave that as an internal matter of the Court, however I do not have very strong feelings on this matter. If others members believe it is important to lay down some rules on the selection, I would be willing to include them in the draft.

1For the record, I am not implying that the current Chief Justice has exploited his office in such a way. Though I do not have access to the Court private chambers, I would imagine that quite the opposite is the case. However, it is a plausible danger.

I would like to add that the current Chief Justice has been doing a really great job and our region has been very fortunate in that regard. We probably will continue to be fortunate in the future, but I do sympathise with the aims of this proposal.

<3 this. This is fantastic, r3n. Do we perhaps want to include some sort of clause for how this is going to be implemented with regards for what will happen to the current court?

Yes, we should include such a provision.

I would support excluding the current Court, and having the law apply starting with the forthcoming judicial elections and the Court resulting from those. This is assuming that this goes to vote before said elections.

Sounds great to me, r3n. Suffice it to say that I'm in support unless someone comes up with a better argument later.

Below is a draft that includes a simple delayed enactment clause, which practically has the effect of what I described in my previous post.

1. Article 4, Section 2 of the Constitution of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

2. The Court will consist of at least three Justices, who will select a Chief Justice among themselves.

2. Chapter 4, Section 4.5, Clause 15 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,

15. The election cycle for the terms of Justices, and the Attorney General will begin on the first days of the months of March, July, and November.

3. Sections 1 and 2 of this Act shall take effect upon the beginning of the judicial election cycle starting on March 1st, 2013.

Why can't we select the Chief Justice as it always has been, why should the Court select amongst itself?

Yes, I agree. The second draft I posted a handful of posts above has a delayed enactment clause that makes the bill take effect only at the beginning of the forthcoming judicial elections, thus leaving the current court unaffected.

mcmasterdonia:
I support this as well. I think it would be best if the current court is excluded from this though.
It would not be legal to force this on the current court; you'd need new elections for it to be permissible even without the changes.

Mall:
Your assumption regarding voters has been proven false by recent events.
This.

I didn't know whether I approved of it to start with but I think Mall makes a valid point.

I think Hileville needs to be given credit for a fantastic series of decisions as CJ, however.

I support the change. Assuming it doesn't apply to the current court.

Mall:
Your assumption regarding voters has been proven false by recent events.
Now you are inviting me to get technical :P . You can replace my reasonable voter assumption with a rational voter one, and my argument will still hold. A rational voter is one who votes for the candidate offering the optimal expected outcome for the voter, as defined by whatever utility function the voter is using. That may be anything, from the amount of legal expertise, to trolling skill. Outstanding and bad candidates are, then, specified accordingly.

This change gives voters better control over the electoral outcome, regardless of whether they make good or bad decisions. Addressing occurrence of bad decisions by the voters is a whole other issue.

Gaspo:
It would not be legal to force this on the current court; you'd need new elections for it to be permissible even without the changes.
That is arguable. I chose the vague wording "who will select a Chief Justice among themselves" with the intention of allowing the Justices to replace a Chief Justice at any time (the removed Chief Justice would continue as Associate Justice). So, were this enacted tomorrow, the current Justices could choose to remove Hileville from Chief Justice, and replace him with Gaspo or Sanctaria.

Which brings me back to a point I made in my second post:
The current draft does not prescribe a procedure for how the Justices would select the Chief Justice. I personally prefer to leave that as an internal matter of the Court, however I do not have very strong feelings on this matter. If others members believe it is important to lay down some rules on the selection, I would be willing to include them in the draft.
As I say here, the vague wording is to give the Justices flexibility to use whatever appointment and removal procedure they want. However, we may want to prescribe a procedure. For instance, we could add the following to the Legal Code:

Section 4.5:
16. Whenever the position is vacant, the Justices shall elect a Chief Justice among themselves by a majority vote.
17. The Justices may at any time remove the Chief Justice by a majority vote.
Alternatively, if we do not want to allow removals, we can add just clause 16 to the Legal Code.

---

It may be worth point out here a somewhat subtle consequence this change will have if enacted. Currently, if the RA recalls the Chief Justice, then they are removed from the Court entirely and a new judicial election needs to be held. Under the proposed change, the RA can vote to: 1) recall the Chief Justice but keep them as Associate Justice, in which case there will be no judicial election and the Justices will elect a new Chief Justice among themselves; or 2) recall the Chief Justice from their Justice office, in which case much like what happens now they are removed from the Court entirely, and a new Justice will need to be elected through a special judicial election.

I would suggest that if the 3-judge panel cannot agree within 1 week of taking office, then the highest vote-getter is Chief Justice.

That seems wise. Although I'd say the practice of not voting wouldn't stand as it wouldn't be a public vote, it would be a private discussion between the court.

Hileville:
I don't know if I like this. The current system works just fine in my opinion.
punk d:
I concur with our current Chief Justice that the present system is working fine as is.
The current system has worked well so far. However, that does not mean that it cannot be improved, or that it is fail-safe. In fact, in the second post in this thread, I have pointed out two scenaria, one of which very realistic and the other at least plausible, under which the current system would malfunction and which argue in favor of changing it in the way I propose. That the current system has worked so far is not a valid rebuttal to either argument.

Blue Wolf II:
Question, what if they all vote for themselves and refuse to compromise? Who then will break the tie?
Great Bights Mum:
Good question. Or what if they all abstain because it's, you know, tradition?
These are both valid points. The proposed draft (which does not prescribe an election explicitly, rather lets the Justices decide in any way they want) in general does not provide any safeguards against any case where the Justices, for one reason or another, impede the selection process. I would expect the Justices to generally be reasonable, but then again officials acting in obstructive ways is not that rare an occurrence, so I understand your concerns.

I think Gaspo's suggestion is a good and generally applicable one; I would add that, in the event a tie for the top place in the judicial election, the CJ is determined by RA membership seniority.

Some say "if it ain't broken, don't fix it." Personally, I think that's crap. My motto is "If it ain't broken, don't BREAK it - anything can be improved."

My apologies for the late reply.

Once again, I described in my second post two situations in which the current system fails. Let me put it this way if you prefer:

The system is broken. I proved so in my second post, which nobody so far has challenged.

The fact that its deficiencies have not shown yet does not mean that they are not there. It also does not mean that we should wait for them to occur before we take steps to fix them; quite the opposite in fact.

Below is a further revision of the draft, which includes Gaspo's suggestion, as well as a renumbering ( :eyeroll: ) of Section 4.6's clauses made necessary by the additions.

2. Chapter 4, Section 4.5 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
Section 4.5: Judicial Elections
16. Whenever the position is vacant, the Justices shall elect a Chief Justice from among themselves by a majority vote.
17. In the event that seven days after the conclusion of a Judicial election, including the conclusion of any required run-off votes, a Chief Justice has not been elected, the Justice that received the highest number of votes in said election, and in the event of a tie for highest number of votes the Justice among those tied who has at that point been a Regional Assembly member continuously the longest, shall become Chief Justice.
3. Chapter 4, Section 4.6 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
Section 4.6: Special Elections
18. A special election will be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position.
19. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
20. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election will last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy is noticed.
21. Voting will begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for five days, unless there is only one candidate for each vacancy in which case they will take office immediately.
4. Sections 1, 2, and 3 of this Act shall take effect upon the beginning of the judicial election cycle starting on March 1st, 2013.

Given that it has been a week now, and there appear to be no more comments, I move that we vote.

For the record, this is the latest version of this bill.

2. Chapter 4, Section 4.5 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
Section 4.5: Judicial Elections
16. Whenever the position is vacant, the Justices shall elect a Chief Justice from among themselves by a majority vote.
17. In the event that seven days after the conclusion of a Judicial election, including the conclusion of any required run-off votes, a Chief Justice has not been elected, the Justice that received the highest number of votes in said election, and in the event of a tie for highest number of votes the Justice among those tied who has at that point been a Regional Assembly member continuously the longest, shall become Chief Justice.
3. Chapter 4, Section 4.6 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific is hereby amended to read as follows,
Section 4.6: Special Elections
18. A special election will be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position.
19. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
20. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election will last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy is noticed.
21. Voting will begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for five days, unless there is only one candidate for each vacancy in which case they will take office immediately.
4. Sections 1, 2, and 3 of this Act shall take effect upon the beginning of the judicial election cycle starting on March 1st, 2013.

Sorry I didn't spot this earlier, but for consistency this should be reworded so that it does not include previous periods of continuous membership. Either method is doable, but it is harder to keep track of who has had the longest period of continuous membership, than who has had the longest continuity of their current membership period.

If you look at RA Rule 2 SPT it does not have this ambiguity:
2. "Seniority" is determined by the amount of elapsed time since a member’s most recent admission to the Regional Assembly without an interruption, but no longer than the amount of time since the adoption of the current Constitution.

I say pass it as-is and fix the wording later. If we want it to take effect on the next judicial election cycle, we need the current vote to pass. The likelihood that 1) A chief justice won't be selected for 7 days and 2) There will be a tie for highest vote count is so minimal that we can be relatively sure it won't impact the coming election cycle. So as long as we fix it before June, we're fine.

This may just be my interpretation, but the bill does not set a maximum for the amount of Justices, does this mean that everyone who runs to become a justice could be elected?

(That is to say, that if five people were to run, as there is no maximum would all five become Justices, presuming they got at least one vote?)

Currently, there is no provision in any of our laws to determine the number of justices on the court. As I see it, that power is "up for grabs," so to speak. If the RA were to adopt a procedural rule that they can change the number of justices, then that would stand until a higher law (legal code, court ruling, constitution) were to overrule it. That's my interpretation at least. Currently there are three justices on the court, and that won't change until someone changes it.

Chasmanthe:
Sorry I didn't spot this earlier, but for consistency this should be reworded so that it does not include previous periods of continuous membership. Either method is doable, but it is harder to keep track of who has had the longest period of continuous membership, than who has had the longest continuity of their current membership period.

If you look at RA Rule 2 SPT it does not have this ambiguity:
2. "Seniority" is determined by the amount of elapsed time since a member’s most recent admission to the Regional Assembly without an interruption, but no longer than the amount of time since the adoption of the current Constitution.
Crushing Our Enemies:
I say pass it as-is and fix the wording later. If we want it to take effect on the next judicial election cycle, we need the current vote to pass. The likelihood that 1) A chief justice won't be selected for 7 days and 2) There will be a tie for highest vote count is so minimal that we can be relatively sure it won't impact the coming election cycle. So as long as we fix it before June, we're fine.
Chas makes a valid point, this should be fixed. I agree with COE, though, on both points he makes. Given that this has already gone to vote, it is now both more efficient and effective to pass it as-is and fix later. The danger that the wording issue will be abused in the interim is negligible.

In fact, I pledge that, should the bill pass, I will prioritize submitting a quick amendment to have the wording corrected.

Zyvetskistaahn:
This may just be my interpretation, but the bill does not set a maximum for the amount of Justices, does this mean that everyone who runs to become a justice could be elected?

(That is to say, that if five people were to run, as there is no maximum would all five become Justices, presuming they got at least one vote?)
This is correct. This is intentional though, and the justification it is that I wanted to keep the changes effected by the amendment to a minimum.

As COE mentioned in the post immediately above, the statute in its current form sets no upper bound on, or otherwise fix exactly, the number of justices. Changing (or fixing if you prefer) that would be unrelated to the intent of this amendment, therefore I avoided doing it and preserved the ambiguity.

In theory an election commission could declare they were electing four justices, as I understand it.

I would have advised inclusion of a clause as follows in the bill, and leave it for future reference:

5. No part of this bill will take effect unless the entire bill takes effect.

I'm an innovator - I like making things that work work that much better.

But I think the current systems works very well and that this is not an improvement, but simply a change.

Back