Request for Instructions

Discord
COE#7110
Pursuant to the introduction to the Legal Code:
Legal Code:
If a minor error is found in this Legal Code, the Speaker will update it on the published instructions of the Court, unless a Regional Assembly member objects within five days.

I have noticed a minor error in Legal Code 6.1:10. It currently reads as follows:

Legal Code 6.1:
10. The Speaker's office will promptly remove any members whose removal is ordered by the Court, whose North Pacific nation leaves or ceases to exist, who fail to log in to the North Pacific forum for over 30 days.

It is clearly missing a conjunction near the end of the clause, and ought to read thus:

Legal Code 6.1":
10. The Speaker's office will promptly remove any members whose removal is ordered by the Court, whose North Pacific nation leaves or ceases to exist, or who fail to log in to the North Pacific forum for over 30 days.

I seek published instructions from the court to update the Legal Code to correct the minor error mentioned above.

This to my knowledge was addressed on IRC. The Court feels that making such changes would not be within the powers of the minor error clause.

I missed that issue being addressed on IRC. Please provide us with a transcript of that discussion, or some sort of rationale for the decision. IIRC 6.1:10 previously had a voting requirement. When it was later repealed, evidently the grammar wasn't tidied up. It seems to me this is exactly the kind of situation the minor error clause was intended to cover.

I don't have a transcript, but if I recall correctly, the objection that was presented to me was that adding an "or" to the clause changed the semantic meaning of the sentence in a way that spelling correction and such did not. It was argued that if an error has semantic implications on the meaning of a clause, it is not a minor error.

I clearly disagree, but the whole thing is moot because even if the court published instructions for the error to be corrected, r3n would object.

Back