Informal medical leave

Because of some medical issues of my own, and the fact that my RL primary care physician has been out on medical leave involving emergency surgery this past June that still has him available for appointments on a very limited basis, I have taken an informal medical leave from all activity on the forums, except for checking on admin/modding issues, and expect to continue doing so until my current issues are cleared up.
I will participate in admin matters when I can, but I will not be otherwise active until then.
I have several physical medical conditions that are aggravated by stress, all of which require medications to control and avoiding stress on an everyday basis. I will have my next medical appointment tomorrow, but I expect additional appointments may be required before these are back under control.
If you need me for something send a PM; or ask one of the admin to send me an email if it is important.
Don't like it? Too bad.

I'm sorry to hear about your health, I hope that things get better for you soon.

Given your absence, does the rest of the administration team have the authority to act on requests that would normally require your input? Ones regarding the University and the embassy subforums, that are currently still pending, are examples.

I'm still not ready to come back on a daily basis yet, as the winter weather here has been aggravating my chronic medical issues, and it's been one extreme after another (which is the last thing I need.) In the past five days, we had a record high, then freezing rain, then two full days of dense fog, then a winter storm, and now we're headed to the coldest weather here in several years with a lot of wind, and single digits highs and well below zero lows. (all those in F and not C). I've also had a strange allergy that sometimes makes my eyes so sensitive to light that I've had to resort to wearing my prescription sunglasses indoors!

I'm also adapting to one prescription change that is helping me catch up on a sleep deficit that had been building up for over a year. It's one of those things that I needed to work out with my primary care doctor (who's familiar with everything) and not try to educate a doctor I didn't know. More sleep, over time, will help me manage some of the chronic issues better.

The winter weather is still giving me problems, and because the insurance plan doesn't include the one medication, we're having to switch to one they do cover, so that will mean another cycling through to see if that new prescription is any more effective. We'll be starting the new medication tomorrow.

I will mention this: The medical goal that my doctors over the past decade plus have aimed for is avoiding stress so as to moderate some chronic physical effects. I have a lot of issues with pain, and the weather extremes are not good for it.

This has been a bad month for my ISP. Between the winter storms, four in the last three weeks, and another one headed in tomorrow night, and the statewide high school tournaments being held in the neighborhood in basketball and wrestling during this time of year, my internet service has been screwy. I can't be sure about connecting at any time of day at the moment since the demand can overpower their system.

If you need me for something the best way Elu is to send me a PM (I do check to see if I have any regularly, or if it's really something you need, send me an email to my gmail or yahoo account.

Nothing really new to report. We're still getting winter storms here, and we have an NCAA championship tournament starting Wednesday and those folks won't be leaving until Sunday. And we have yet another winter storm in the forecast for the weekend.

And to think a year ago this week, we had a week of 80+ degree F highs for the entire week, and not much rain or snow. And this winter, we're almost double the normal winter snowfall for the season.

Anyhow, I'm still not sure what I will be doing. I have a deadline coming up in three months that takes up my time every spring, and except for admin duties, I don't expect to be otherwise active in the near term.

While some things have been alleviated, it still isn't a good time for me to become active, and I don't expect that to be the case until I get past an annual deadline in early July; the same deadline I've had every year for 20 years now.
The weather also remains a factor. Today it's 84 degrees and cloudy right now with a chance of severe thunderstorms later, and by Thursday or Friday, it will be highs in the low 30s with a good chance already for one or two inches of new snow.
The good news for me is that after years of planning, I'm finally digitizing almost all of my paper files, except for momentos, warranty manuals, and a few documents (truck title, registration, etc.) that I have to retain as a hard document. I've been wanting to do this for years, and I'm down to the last half crate, having gotten rid of more than 3 file crates worth.

And Lieb is taking great care of me!

I've a hour to look around, so I did some voting, but I really haven't had time to catch up on things. and won't until I've caught up in RL and with my deadlines this summer.
But I am trying to check every few days about admin stuff.
Meanwhile we went from 8 inches of snow on the 2nd and 3rd of May (a record making snowfall) to 86 this past Monday (also a record). This weather this year is just ridiculous.

You should live where I live. 38 degrees this morning. 91 this afternoon. Just the normal weather around here.

I think I can top it. Two consecutive days of EF 0- EF 1 tornadoes in this county Sunday and Monday, breaking a record of going 355 days without a tornado anywhere in the state, the current streak ended at 359 days with the three tornadoes on Sunday.
Thank heavens, this isn't OKC. That one was a monster.

We've gone from 8 inches of snow the first few days of May to tornadoes, heavy rain and river flooding by late May, and tomorrow we'll be at 90F for the first time this year; in fact it will be the first day our daily high has been at least 80 since the beginning of June this year, which is a record of sorts. Of course, last year we had at least a month's worth of 90s by this time, and were in a severe drought. This year, not a single location in the state is in any level of drought conditions, and most places have had more rain so far this year than they had all of last year.
The weather is not doing me any favors since several of my chronic medical issues are greatly influenced by day-to-day, hour-by-hour changes in the weather, including being able to sleep.
I don't expect to be checking in as much the next five weeks or so until I have the annual project finished and other factors are not making that any easier.
As I said before, if you need me for an issue or whatever, send me an email -- otherwise I can't promise anything about responding.

I am looking at making plans to become more active than I've been able to, but it will not be at the level I was at before this started last year.
If the most recent change in my prescriptions take hold then I hope to have a plan before the end of next month.
My priorities will be with forum admin and modding, and the Security Council and the lowest level of involvement as to everything else.
The changes in some of the laws over this past year, directly at odds with the constitutional reform that we recently experienced, is discouraging as to any desire to participate, and that will be a factor. I do plan to get caught up on endorsements, which will take time, and it will take time to review all of the admin/mod threads. What I hope to do now, is what I had hoped to do when I stepped down as Delegate a couple of years ago, but now there are more admin around than there were then.

Are you sure about not participating in the legislative process? I know that personally my heart starts beating fast and I feel euphoric when I see things like "Attorney General Omnibus bill". It's so... arousing, in a non-sexual way.

Unless of course you want it to be that way... :blush:

Glad you're back and I have no doubt some of the legislative changes are very disappointing to you.

This has been a crazy couple of weeks at my end with the apartment building being sold to new ownership, and the management company going forward already in place performing a lot of inspections, maintenance, and so forth. It also meant that I had three nights in the last 10 where I was awakened for too little sleep in order for those folks to do their thing. It has a cumulative effect (the lack of sleep) on me, and I came down with a intestinal bug a couple of nights back. And now, they need to treat this apartment and others on this floor for bedbugs on Monday, starting before sunrise, which means I'll have to go another night with no sleep in order to be out of here in time. (All of this stress impacts my chronic ailments, and I cannot predict what shape I will be in,)
On top of that, my cable-internet provider is having their issues with both cable service and internet access and have for the past week; it was particularly bad last night into sometime this morning (since I have been sick these past two days I slept until almost noon.) There is an outage on the cable right now, and they don't know when all the repairs will be finished (service on cable and internet comes and goes). And the pest treatment on Monday usually fries up the cable DVR box and the wireless router for my internet, which means I will continue to have problems past Monday to whenever I can get them out here after Monday to check their equipment.

So this is a heads' up that my presence is going to be spotty and that applies for both the admin stuff and the game stuff on the forums.

The fates seem to have a personal grudge against you. Best of luck (you seem to need it). Might I suggest removing your DVR and router from your apartment along with yourself on the day of pest treatment, or is that impossible for some reason?

Democratic Donkeys:
The fates seem to have a personal grudge against you. Best of luck (you seem to need it). Might I suggest removing your DVR and router from your apartment along with yourself on the day of pest treatment, or is that impossible for some reason?
The company that does the bedbug treatment insists that bedbugs like the heat given off by electronic devices and insist that everything except myself and Lieb and certain items we box and leave for them to go through to decide if they can stay outside the apartment, have to be treated in order to assure they get the bedbugs with the poison that is effective with the heat.

I've finally gotten that company's tech to understand that the treatment is frying the DVR, and at least some of the cable repair technicians understand what is happening; but it a hard enough battle with the notebook. I've lost a tablet, other things that use electronics (coffeemaker, glucose test strips, weight scale, inside/outside thermometer, all in one printer, backup hard drive) and the damage was deemed not covered by warranty and I've had to eat the loss. (over $1000) from the three prior treatments.

I'll be speaking with the new management's resident manager tomorrow to educate them and bring them up to speed. Since there had been no bedbugs in the apartment, and none in the walls for six months until now, I think I know how it happened. The new management had all the carpets on the floor including hallways and the open apartment areas a couple of weeks before the last canine inspection for bedbugs, and since at least five of the apartments (of 10) on the floor had bedbugs detected, I'm guessing that had something to do with it. There has been a problem here for more than five years, and the old owners and management company are still involved in a class action that predated when I moved in.

Back