Request for Review: Leaving a candidate's name off an election ballot

I was the first to notice that New Kervoskia's name had originally been left off the VD election ballot despite his stated intention to run in said election. Voting commenced for 24+ hours and indeed NK's name was only just now added to the ballot, well after most votes had been cast. Perhaps most shockingly, NK was considered a front-runner by many prior to his name being left off the ballot, distorting the result.

I am therefore wondering if it is legal to proceed with this vote or should we reset the vote to account for this oversight.

I believe voting should be restarted but prior to going to the courts,could we ask the election commissioner if he could restart the vote?

I spoke to the candidate on IRC today, and he accepted my apology and has said that is ok. As such, I don't see the need to restart the voting.

Tyler Kazakov:
Tyler, by the exchanging of vows and rings you have signified your desire to take McMasterdonia as your lawfully wedded husband. Therefore, by the authority of the Flemingovian religion I now pronounce you husband and wife. And those whom God has joined together let nobody separate.

McMasterdonia, you may kiss your bride.

:kiss:

flemingovia:
Tyler Kazakov:
Tyler, by the exchanging of vows and rings you have signified your desire to take McMasterdonia as your lawfully wedded husband. Therefore, by the authority of the Flemingovian religion I now pronounce you husband and wife. And those whom God has joined together let nobody separate.

McMasterdonia, you may kiss your bride.

:kiss:
I do not believe I ever gave consent to this wedding.

The Court will review this matter. I would suggest that voting be extended for an additional 24 hours to allow extra time for those who want to change their vote though before our review.

I don't believe there was impropriety in the matter, but I think that the vote should be extended for the amount of time NK's name was not listed on the ballot or that the vote should be restarted.

In my opinion, this should be standard practice in cases like these and not left to the discretion of the participants even if NK is ok with it.

I am submitting the following brief for the Court's consideration.

Amicus Curiae Brief

The question before the Court is whether voting in the special election for Vice Delegate should be restarted or extended to compensate for the omission of New Kervoskia from the ballot for approximately 24 hours. The relevant legal provisions to consider are Paragraphs #9 and 10 of the Bill of Rights and Chapter 4 of the Codified Law of The North Pacific.

Question 1: Does the Election Commissioner, in this case the Delegate, have the legal power to restart or extend the special election in the absence of a Court order?

No. Section 4.5, Paragraphs #18 and 19 are quite clear on the timeline for special elections:

18. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election will last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy is noticed.
19. Voting will begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for five days, unless there is only one candidate for each vacancy in which case they will take office immediately.
If the Delegate restarts the Vice Delegate special election from the point of nominations, he will be in legal violation of the provision that requires nominations to begin "within two days after the vacancy is noticed." If the Delegate restarts the special election from the point of voting, he will be in legal violation of the provision that requires voting to "begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed." If the Delegate extends voting by 24 hours, he will be in legal violation of the provision that requires voting to "last for five days."

In summary, the Delegate cannot either restart or extend elections in the absence of a Court order without violating Section 4.5, Paragraphs #18 and 19 of the Legal Code.

Question 2: Does the Election Commissioner, in this case the Delegate, have a legal responsibility to provide a ballot of candidates in the special election for Vice Delegate?

Given the absence of any mention of such a ballot in Chapter 4 of the Legal Code, the relevant legal provision to consider is Paragraph #9 of the Bill of Rights, which reads in part:

9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency.
The relevant question is whether or not the Delegate was required to provide such a ballot to satisfy the democracy and transparency requirements of Paragraph #9. He was not. By holding open nominations and declarations, the Delegate made it possible for every voter to be fully aware of all candidates in the special election for Vice Delegate by consulting the thread for nominations and declarations -- thus satisfying the democracy and transparency requirements of Paragraph #9. The ballot should be viewed as a courtesy to voters and should have no bearing whatsoever on the legality of the special election or its procedures.

Question 3: Does the omission of a candidate's name from the ballot in the special election for Vice Delegate infringe upon the equal treatment and protection of the right to vote and would the alternatives proposed remedy the problem or exacerbate it?

To answer this question, the Court must take into consideration Paragraph #10 of the Bill of Rights:

10. Each Nation entitled to a vote in any manner under the fundamental laws of the region is entitled to the equal treatment and protection of that Nation's right to vote.
Given that voters have been notified of the omission of New Kervoskia from the ballot and given that voters were given approximately four days to alter their votes accordingly, the right to equal treatment and protection of the right to vote has not been abridged. While it is conceivable that some voters may not become aware of the omission in time to alter their votes, it is also true that voters bear some responsibility for keeping themselves informed in regard to ongoing elections. It is also conceivable that if the special election is restarted other voters -- perhaps greater in number -- may not become aware in time to recast their ballots. If the election is extended it will leave The North Pacific without an elected Vice Delegate for at least one more day beyond the length of time acceptable to the Regional Assembly when it passed Section 4.5 of the Legal Code, and it could give candidates and their supporters who become aware of the extension a campaign advantage over those who may not become aware of it.

When the Court is confronted by an electoral problem and solutions to the problem that could cause equivalent or greater damage to the right to vote, the Court should err on the side of caution by declining to take action and allowing the election to proceed on course.

Summary

In light of Section 4.5, Paragraphs #18 and 19 of the Legal Code, the Delegate does not have the legal authority to restart or extend the special election for Vice Delegate in the absence of a Court order as some have suggested that he should. Moreover, the ballot provided by the Delegate is a courtesy to voters, is not legally required by Chapter 4 of the Legal Code, is not necessary to satisfy the requirements of Paragraph #9 of the Bill of Rights and thus should have no legal bearing on the election or its procedures. Finally, given the substantial risks of either restarting or extending the special election -- which are at least equivalent to or greater than the risks of proceeding on course -- the Court should err on the side of caution by declining to take action on this matter.

Ruling of the Court of the North Pacific
In regards to the Judicial Inquiry filed by King Durk the Awesome on Leaving a Candidates Name off the Ballot

The Court took into consideration the Inquiry filed here by King Durk the Awesome.

The Court took into consideration the Relevant section of the Legal Code of the North Pacific:

Section 4.5: Special Elections
16. A special election will be held in the event of a vacancy in any elected office or position.
17. The Delegate, or if the Delegate is not available, the Speaker, or if the Delegate and Speaker are not available, any Court Justice, will serve as Election Commissioner for the special election.
18. The period for nominations or declarations of candidacy in the special election will last for five days, beginning within two days after the vacancy is noticed.
19. Voting will begin one day after the period for nominations or declarations has closed and last for five days, unless there is only one candidate for each vacancy in which case they will take office immediately.

The Court took into consideration the Relevant sections of the Bill of Rights of the North Pacific:

Bill of Rights:
9. Each Nation in The North Pacific is guaranteed the organization and operation of the governmental authorities of the region on fundamental principles of democracy, accountability, and transparency. No action by the governmental authorities of the region shall deny to any Nation of The North Pacific, due process of law, including prior notice and the opportunity to be heard, nor deny to any Nation of The North Pacific the equal and fair treatment and protection of the provisions of the Constitution. No governmental authority shall have power to adopt or impose an ex post facto law or a bill of attainder as to any act for purposes of criminal proceedings.

The Court opines the following:

It is the belief of the Court that the accidental omittance of a Candidate from the Ballot does in fact violate that Candidates Rights under Section 9 of the Bill of Rights. It is therefore ordered that the voting period for the Special Election of Vice Delegate is restarted immediately. The Court believes that in such cases where a timetable for elections is present when a violation of the Bill of Rights or Constitution is found in order to keep the legitimacy of the election the timetable must be altered as not doing so would in itself be a violation of the Bill of Rights.

The Court recognizes mcmasterdonia's immediate attempt to rectify the situation by adding the missing candidates name back to the ballot as soon as being made aware of the situation. The Court does appreciate when an official in the Government attempts to correct a mistake however this specific rectification was not enough to satisfy the Bill of Rights.

A not-so-excellent ruling. The "close topic" button on the first voting thread was sticky. McMasterdonia tried it. I had to close it twice before it would stay shut. Since both threads were being used at once, we now have a small mess. You know, sometimes what is determined "legal" turns out to be impractical.

Hileville, this is not the first time someone's name was mistakenly left off the ballot. It happened in the Delegate election as well. But instead of making a big to-do about it, the Election Commissioner simply corrected the ballot. If it was all right to do it then, why the big fuss now?

I would myself appreciate it if the Court were to enter a habit of explaining the reasoning behind its decisions a bit more :ermm:

I, for one, like this oh-so-excellent decision.

I do believe that adding time to the voting period would have been also possible, but GBM’s question is exactly why a ruling was necessary.

If it was ‘ok’ in a previous instance, why the fuss today? Fast forward to a hypothetical situation six months from now where a candidate is not as accommodating as NK was and you can see that if the court were to allow the election commissioner discretion when situations like this arise, people would have legit gripes.

I think that restarting the vote as a general practice will ensure that, sorry, Election commissioners double check their posts & enables all candidates to know that if my or my opponent’s name is left off the ballot, then the voting will be restarted.

No fuss no muss.

Eluvatar:
I would myself appreciate it if the Court were to enter a habit of explaining the reasoning behind its decisions a bit more :ermm:
Justice Blue Wolf II reclused himself due to conflict of interests, and myself and Chief Justice Hileville came to the above opinion. In this matter, where the Bill of Rights and Legal Code contradicted each other - due to the unexpected circumstances, not the law itself - we concluded that maintaining the legitimacy and integrity of our elections was more important than the precise timetable set out for said elections. Had the elections been continued without the restart then there would always remain the potential for questioning of the results, and with it the legitimacy of the government, due to the initial omission of a candidate. We considered preventing this to be an urgent and pressing matter. Further to this is the fact that the BoR has supremacy over the Legal Code, and as such even if there was not the pressing matter to compel our decision, we would have been required to rule as we did. However, in this matter the decisive factor was the legitimacy of the vote.

The current tendency in TNP to scurry to the court every time someone makes a mistake or does something we do not like is childish in the extreme. i hope TNP soon outgrows this phase.

Now that the Courts are actually active, it seems everyone wants us to fix their every issue and can get quite irate when we don't rule the way they want us to.

However, the Court only rules based on the law, and the RA is the one who makes the law. To really fix an issue the RA must get involved, not the Courts.

Back