The way we vote.

The way we vote is wrong, we should be able to vote for 2 people in elections due to the kind simple fact that if the person we WANT doesnt win then the person we feel comforable leading up does win.

EX.

Tom-3
Bill-3
Omar-5

Tom only got 3 votes of people who liked him, and so did Bill, Omar got 5 votes, but that wasnt who the majority of the people wanted, THEY voted for another person. Over Half of the people voted for someone else to be exact, now watch.

Tom-3, secondary votes(SV)-4
Bill-3, SV-3
Omar-5, SV-1

The winner would be Tom, with 7 since 7/13 OVER HALF would have thought he was a better canididate then Omar, who would have won. So Majority of the people thought Tom would be better, after their 1st choice, as in 1 from Omar, and 3 from Tom, Majority thought he would be better then Omar, who won, now thats done. Tom wins and 7/13 people are happy rather then 5/13 are.

So I propose a change to our voting system.

frabz-DAFUQ-e04e7c.jpg

Who is this Tom anyway? And why has he won our delegate election? I never voted for him. was there some secret vote that only eleven people took part in?

We don't follow a preferential voting system in TNP, and the Co5 aren't elections strictly speaking.

The Co5 vote I would describe as a preferential poll which in legal terms the Delegate uses to appoint his ministers and his duties. Elu is free to appoint his ministers in any way he wishes, but the next person might not follow that approach.

While the problem that's being brought up here (no requirement to get a majority, meaning you can win with a majority of people voting against you) is very real and a serious problem with plurality voting, this proposal wouldn't solve it. The proper way to fix it would be with the two round system, IRV/AV or Condorcet voting.

I favor preferential voting and find the current system too much of a statistical exercise than actual choice.

I am in favor of a Condorcet Method. It's a very successful method of voting. Look at the Co5 elections. Taijitu uses it for all of our elections and it is far preferable to plurality voting.

The Co5 elections are actually conducted using the single transferable vote, which is essentially the multimember version of instant runoff voting. Both methods are preferential but the counting method for Condorcet is different.

Both Condorcet and IRV do, however, ensure some kind of majority for winners so there's no possibility of a spoiler like with plurality voting.

EDIT: There is actually a condorcet version of STV, but computationally it's absurd and impractical in its pure form.

flemingovia:
No. Flemingovianism believes in one man, one vote. I am the man, I have the vote.
But you would have to descend to the Earth and take human form to vote under that statement. :lol:

You will have one vote, basiclly. You'll only get 1 vote, but you can pick another canidaite for it as well, that way, if you canidaite loses. then the second can win.

Back