Getting Ready to leave TNP

Funkadelia:
Could you please post the logs from the incident? I'm interested in seeing what happened.
That is currently against the rules, because not everyone in the incident (Romanoffia) has consented, however, that may be ruled void through a loop hole or another.

mcmasterdonia:
Great Bights Mum:
It sounds like there may be some confusion between #tnp and the government. That channel is not owned by the government, and it is not under the auspices of this forum.

I've said it before, but what happens on #tnp ought to stay there. It's mere chat. Just because rising blood-alcohol levels contributed to a Saturday night brawl, doesn't mean the rest of us should have a headache the next morning.
:tb2:
:tb2:

Second that love.

Funkadelia:
I thought since TNP is a public chat room that posting these logs would be allowed.
The definition of #TNP being private or public is grey, and deciding so is an ongoing process.

After reading this conversation, it saddens me to see how this thing started, and progressed. By both sides. Yeah, Rom has some extremist views, and said a lot of stuff that's pretty darn controversial, but a lot of what happened was egged on, I think. I guess when backed in a corner, some people have a "fight or flight" sort of thing that kicks in and that's kind of what I gathered here. Granted I wasn't there so I can't say with any sort of certainty, but that's what it looks like to me.

Not defending anyone here, but man, can't we just agree we all have disagreements and be okay when someone doesn't see something the way we do?

Todd McCloud:
"Not defending anyone here, but man, can't we just agree we all have disagreements and be okay when someone doesn't see something the way we do?"
That will never happen because some people are too overly sensitive and take violent offense at anything they disagree with. They take everything personally and then make it personal.

Making something personal against me tends to get my ire. Once someone goes to far with me by making it personal, I wouldn't lift a finger to help them get out of the way of a speeding train. I never forgive and I never forget.

Now, if I was as overly sensitive as some of the people who have been handing me abuse on this forum today, the mods would be over-run with reported posts. But as it is, I only reported one post for the deliberate flaming nature of the post. I didn't take too kindly to a certain person's constant flaming and trolling with the intent of further stirring things up.

And, if the person flames me one more time, I will go directly to InvisionFree to complain about that individual.

I'm done playing games with people who get upset at anything anyone says because they totally lack a sense of humor and take everything personally. And I will no longer tolerate some of the abuse I am getting here today and it will stop. I promise you all.

Camwood:
Funkadelia:
Could you please post the logs from the incident? I'm interested in seeing what happened.
That is currently against the rules, because not everyone in the incident (Romanoffia) has consented, however, that may be ruled void through a loop hole or another.

Tracking:
So far, permission has been obtained from:

Eluvatar, Mall, mcmasterdonia, Tim, Camwood, Insaniac, Windy, Earth, Cormac, Wham, Unibot, Gulliver, Grosseschnauzer, Biyah, and AdmiralMew.

Permission has not been obtained from Scandigrad and Romanoffia has objected.

Funkadelia:
I thought since TNP is a public chat room that posting these logs would be allowed.

#tnp has a channel topic at this time that boldly says:

Do not post logs of chat in the forum without the consent of ALL parties.

#tnp is currently not public in that sense.

Why? Because I can. I have never posted logs even when others wanted to (unless they are official government business) just as a matter of principle.

That said, perhaps making #tnp a quasi-public affair from this point on will have the effect of producing self-imposed censorship upon those in the channel. This alone will go a long way in restoring order all around. It will also put most of the conversations into non-public venues as it should be.

I acutally think this will be the death of #tnp. As roman says: this will not make things more transparent, it just means that more things will actually happen behind closed doors. #tnp will become more banal and trivial.

You mean more banal and trivial than #tnp already is?

But I see your point and I do tend to agree with your assessment.

punk d:
why would roman object to the logs being posted?
Because the logs prove he's in the wrong.

And I'm sitting here, reading Roman's posts, and laughing my ass off. He calls other people children and is himself having a tantrum, throwing his toys out the pram, taking his ball home etc etc insert cliche here.

And also showing just how classy he is by threatening to go to Invisionfree (technically this would be Zetaboards, as this is a zetaboard forum) if he gets 'flamed'.

flemingovia:
I acutally think this will be the death of #tnp. As roman says: this will not make things more transparent, it just means that more things will actually happen behind closed doors. #tnp will become more banal and trivial.
Interesting thought. I hadn't thought of it like that, indeed that is possible. I guess time will tell.

Well most regions don't have the rule about no posting logs on the forum. Indeed most have a thread to do such a thing typically when something funny happens.

So I don't see why #tnp would suddenly change.

Whamabama:
Well most regions don't have the rule about no posting logs on the forum. Indeed most have a thread to do such a thing typically when something funny happens.

Quite right. In my opinion, it makes sense. If it's a public chat any passer-by can join, then what's said there should be public. If it's between two people in a private setting (that is to say, a random passer-by can't join or isn't supposed to join), then it should be treated private. Other regions more or less tend to get this. Why is it not the case here?

Todd McCloud:
Whamabama:

Quite right. In my opinion, it makes sense. If it's a public chat any passer-by can join, then what's said there should be public. If it's between two people in a private setting (that is to say, a random passer-by can't join or isn't supposed to join), then it should be treated private. Other regions more or less tend to get this. Why is it not the case here?
:agree:

I have no clue why TNP is always more complicated than literally everywhere else in the game. :p

That question is easy to answer. Because TNP has a history of being overly legalistic and stuck in the process of bureaucracy. The more order you seek to impose the greater the resulting chaos will be.

Romanoffia:
That question is easy to answer. Because TNP has a history of being overly legalistic and stuck in the process of bureaucracy. The more order you seek to impose the greater the resulting chaos will be.
And so you're helping this situation, by refusing to allow the post to be made public?

As it stands, you're the one exasperating the bureaucracy of TNP and #udl. :pinch:

Wow, I always assumed comments in #tnp were public comments. Good to know that is not the case. I understand your principle Roman and I think that's fine. However...

Roman, your principle works against you in this case. While you do not believe comments made in #tnp should be public your entire argument for leaving is based on what happened there. Most of the parties who were present have agreed to make those comments public but you have not.

That hurts your overall arguments in this thread and elsewhere and were I your advisor, I'd ask you to make an exception in this case so that you do not undermine the point you're trying to make.

Wham should not be allowed ops. It is clear also Tim should not be allowed ops.

The lack of order in the #tnp channel really shows #tnp needs to be under TNP law, and hence there needs to be legislation.

madjack:
punk d:
why would roman object to the logs being posted?
Because the logs prove he's in the wrong.

And I'm sitting here, reading Roman's posts, and laughing my ass off. He calls other people children and is himself having a tantrum, throwing his toys out the pram, taking his ball home etc etc insert cliche here.

And also showing just how classy he is by threatening to go to Invisionfree (technically this would be Zetaboards, as this is a zetaboard forum) if he gets 'flamed'.
For flamebait, Bel has received a 20% warning and a 5 hour mod preview.

Govindia:

The lack of order in the #tnp channel really shows #tnp needs to be under TNP law, and hence there needs to be legislation.
Worst. Idea. Ever.

madjack:
Govindia:

Worst. Idea. Ever.
Why are you afraid to follow TNP laws when in an IRC channel?

Govindia:
madjack:
Govindia:

Worst. Idea. Ever.
Because the laws are a big pile of horse poo, with added cherries on top.

Besides which, if the bill of rights were to be applied to #tnp you might be able to apply to the courts to be let back in. and this is what this is all about, isn't it?

Yep. the #tnp functioned well for years, with only about three ops, too.

You need more rigorous and even-handed opping, an end to this "culture of consensus" which Elu seems to favour, where every decision is made by mob rule rather than respected ops.

Govindia:
madjack:
Govindia:

Worst. Idea. Ever.
Why are you afraid to follow TNP laws in our embassies?

flemingovia:

You need more rigorous and even-handed opping, an end to this "culture of consensus" which Elu seems to favour, where every decision is made by mob rule rather than respected ops.
So how long has Wham been an op, again?

I get that every decision made by anyone Eluvatar has appointed is going to be used as an opportunity to bash Eluvatar by his opponents, but the decision to temporarily ban Romanoffia was made by a respected op because #tnp wasn't functioning well. It went back to functioning well after the temporary ban. I guess you had to be there.

Also, that thing that Eluvatar seems to favor is not mob rule -- it's democracy, contrary to those who alternate between accusing him of advocating oligarchy when it suits their argument and mob rule when that suits their argument. He may not always implement democracy in the best way but I support that he's trying rather than returning TNP to a situation in which decisions are made by fewer people and citizens are more passive and less active, which seems to be what several are advocating.

contrary to those who alternate between accusing him of advocating oligarchy when it suits their argument and mob rule when that suits their argument.

I agree with you. Eluvatar is very inconsistent.

Cormac Docherty:
flemingovia:

So how long has Wham been an op, again?

I get that every decision made by anyone Eluvatar has appointed is going to be used as an opportunity to bash Eluvatar by his opponents, but the decision to temporarily ban Romanoffia was made by a respected op because #tnp wasn't functioning well. It went back to functioning well after the temporary ban. I guess you had to be there.

Also, that thing that Eluvatar seems to favor is not mob rule -- it's democracy, contrary to those who alternate between accusing him of advocating oligarchy when it suits their argument and mob rule when that suits their argument. He may not always implement democracy in the best way but I support that he's trying rather than returning TNP to a situation in which decisions are made by fewer people and citizens are more passive and less active, which seems to be what several are advocating.
I'm keeping you. :tb2: You save me so much time by basically posting my thoughts. :P

Actually I didn't appoint Wham an OP.

I got AOP back on February 24th of this year, and SOP on May 31st. Wham's SOP entry hasn't been modified since March 25th of last year.

flemingovia:
For flamebait, Bel has received a 20% warning and a 5 hour mod preview.
For obvious reasons, I'm am nonplussed about this. To start with, I don't really see how a post can be construed as flamebait when it is in direct response to someone in the middle of flaming. Said post consisted of mockery, scorn, and derision, castigating Roman for truly ridiculous behaviour, behaviour which he has somehow got away with scot free as far as I can tell, whilst I am warned.

Belschaft, please see my post in the Forum Operations area that discussed the issues the forum moderation team is having with all of the Romanoffia-related threads that were started in the last few days.

The team discussed the post quoted by Flemingovia, and agrees that, in the context of all of those threads and their tone, the quoted post had the appearance, to us, of flaming. The team agreed that a 20 per cent warning was appropriate in this case. If you have a issue you wish to discuss further, please take it to the Moderation area; do not go off the topic of this thread to do so.

We are prepared to place threads on time out as long and as often as necessary for things to cool down and for people to calm down. We are prepared to continue issuing warnings if our caution flags, like putting threads on a cool down period, are ignored.

It's not a question, necessarily, of what anyone is saying when on topic, it is a question of how it is being said.

madjack:
Govindia:
madjack:
Govindia:

Worst. Idea. Ever.
Why are you afraid to follow TNP laws in our embassies?
Good lord, do you realize you've been placed on two warnings already lately plus sent a caution at the direction of the forum moderation team within the last day?

I'm going to lock this thread down; two reports being made on different posts within a very short period of time is an indication that a time out is needed.

If the forum moderation team decides to issue more cautions or warnings on the new reports, then we will after a discussion.

Back