Govindia for Council of Five

Govindia

TNPer
Hello everyone.

I am not new to TNP, and most people know me. For those who do not, allow me to explain a bit about myself.

I have started NS since late 2004, and the end of this summer will come my eight year anniversary.

I have seen how the feeders work as well as user-created regions, and experienced various forms of government. I have served as a Minister, legislator, role-play adviser, election commissioner, ambassador, parliament speaker, and military officer in all of these areas during my time, and did these jobs to the best of my abilities.

In TNP I have served as the Speaker, Deputy Speaker, Election Commissioner, Deputy Election Commissioner, a Minister, Role-Play Adviser, and I am a current Lieutenant Colonel in The North Pacific Army and a member of the Regional Assembly.

I am capable of working with others to get the job done in an efficient manner and for the betterment of the region. I believe in peace, justice, and freedom in this region, and if elected I will help to ensure these ideals are protected, while making sure the important work is done. I am skilled with various parts of government, particularly foreign affairs, legislative matters, or the military. The operations with Stargate and her colony region show that I will do anything to ensure the job is done in a successful manner, and I will do the same here on the Council.

I hope you will give me the chance to serve and help the region. Please vote Govindia for the Council of Five.

Anti-Govindia feeling is quite high in the region at the moment. Do you think you have a fair chance of winning a seat on the Council of Five? Or the speaker's chair for that matter.

flemingovia:
Anti-Govindia feeling is quite high in the region at the moment. Do you think you have a fair chance of winning a seat on the Council of Five? Or the speaker's chair for that matter.
I believe my experience in NS and my background in terms of doing my best to get the job done should hopefully outweigh such cliquish sentiments sir.

This is not a popularity contest I hope.

Mcmasterdonia, I would be primarily interested in foreign affairs, given my experience. I would be also open to possibly defence, but I am flexible for any department, given my experience working with nearly each area.

How many people must there be in a room for it to be more likely than not that two of them have the same birthday?

Ah yes, the famous "Birthday Problem" :P.

The probability that there will be a pair of people that have the same birthday will actually reach 100% if there are 367 people in a room, since there are 366 possible birthdays, including 29 Feb.

Govindia:
Mcmasterdonia, I would be primarily interested in foreign affairs, given my experience. I would be also open to possibly defence, but I am flexible for any department, given my experience working with nearly each area.
I'd imagine as Foreign Affairs Minister, you'd have to visit foreign forums. Are there any large regions we'd be interested about relations with, that you're not banned from?

I mean, out of the five regions we are allied with, you're banned from Taijitu and The South Pacific (forum) and Osiris. That's 60% of our allies, Gov.

Govindia, You say your interest is in foreign relations. Yet you have just caused a major international storm for TNP by, in our embassy, accusing members of Equlism of Cocaine Use.

I accept that the statement you made - twice - was intended as a joke, but it still caused major offence to a region we are just now entering into a treaty relations with.

Your friend the Attorney General has decided that you did nothing criminally wrong, but as a diplomatic faux pas it was right up there. So my question is, how can TNP have any confidence in voting for you to become a member of the Co5 with responsibility for foreign affairs when you are prone to those sorts of incidents?

unibot:
Govindia:
I'd imagine as Foreign Affairs Minister, you'd have to visit foreign forums. Are there any large regions we'd be interested about relations with, that you're not banned from?

I mean, out of the five regions we are allied with, you're banned from Taijitu and The South Pacific (forum) and Osiris. That's 60% of our allies, Gov.
Please rephrase your question to be less inflammatory and more polite and civil. Thank you for understanding :)

flemingovia:
Govindia, You say your interest is in foreign relations. Yet you have just caused a major international storm for TNP by, in our embassy, accusing members of Equlism of Cocaine Use.

I accept that the statement you made - twice - was intended as a joke, but it still caused major offence to a region we are just now entering into a treaty relations with.

Your friend the Attorney General has decided that you did nothing criminally wrong, but as a diplomatic faux pas it was right up there. So my question is, how can TNP have any confidence in voting for you to become a member of the Co5 with responsibility for foreign affairs when you are prone to those sorts of incidents?
If someone else had made the joke, people would take it as a joke. Because I made it, people don't . That's hypocritical and childish. People should learn to grow up and be more mature while at the same time not follow double standards for humour.

The diplomatic incident was created because of the above childish behaviour. It was a joke laden with sarcasm. My words and tone would have been much more serious if I was definitely accusing them of drug use.

In foreign affairs you can also focus on TNP's foreign interests and enjoy some humour now and then as long as work is getting done. Just like in any professional work IRL.

And no, I am not "prone" to these sorts of incidents. I have seven years of experience being an ambassador and a foreign minister in places with very few incidents, which contradicts your notion I believe sir.

I appreciate the question though sir. Thank you for asking.

Govindia:
unibot:
Govindia:

Please rephrase your question to be less inflammatory and more polite and civil. Thank you for understanding :)
Since you so insist that Unibot's question was "inflammatory", here's a more "civil and polite" translation :eyeroll:

I'd imagine as Foreign Affairs Minister, you would have to visit the forum of our potential/current allies. How would you you plan to complete this part of Foreign Affairs Minister if you are not permitted on the forums of many of the regions that The North Pacific would consider as potential allies.

It is noted that our of our current five allies, you are not permitted in three of them: (TSP, Taijitu, Osiris).

There? Happy?

Tim:
Govindia:
unibot:
Govindia:

Since you so insist that Unibot's question was "inflammatory", here's a more "civil and polite" translation :eyeroll:

I'd imagine as Foreign Affairs Minister, you would have to visit the forum of our potential/current allies. How would you you plan to complete this part of Foreign Affairs Minister if you are not permitted on the forums of many of the regions that The North Pacific would consider as potential allies.

It is noted that our of our current five allies, you are not permitted in three of them: (TSP, Taijitu, Osiris).

There? Happy?
Tim , if you're going to speak to me, please do so in a civil and respecftul manner, especially to those older than you. There is no need to be condescending. My response was to Unibot, sir.

I have a question for you.

If you were banned from a region allied with The North Pacific, how would you conduct foreign relations with that region?

Govindia:
flemingovia:

If someone else had made the joke, people would take it as a joke. Because I made it, people don't . That's hypocritical and childish. People should learn to grow up and be more mature while at the same time not follow double standards for humour.

The diplomatic incident was created because of the above childish behaviour. It was a joke laden with sarcasm. My words and tone would have been much more serious if I was definitely accusing them of drug use.

In foreign affairs you can also focus on TNP's foreign interests and enjoy some humour now and then as long as work is getting done. Just like in any professional work IRL.

And no, I am not "prone" to these sorts of incidents. I have seven years of experience being an ambassador and a foreign minister in places with very few incidents, which contradicts your notion I believe sir.

Describing our allies as "hypocritical" and "Childish" and holding "double standards", and calling on them to "grow up" and "be more mature" is not an approach that will gain us many friends internationally.

Whatever one's personal opinions, an individual who aspires to be on the Co5 with a brief for foreign affiars ought to be more circumspect in their language.

I think you are incapable of that. I think you have just demonstrated you are incapable of that.

flemingovia:
Govindia:
flemingovia:

Describing our allies as "hypocritical" and "Childish" and holding "double standards", and calling on them to "grow up" and "be more mature" is not an approach that will gain us many friends internationally.

Whatever one's personal opinions, an individual who aspires to be on the Co5 with a brief for foreign affiars ought to be more circumspect in their language.

I think you are incapable of that. I think you have just demonstrated you are incapable of that.
With all due respect, being honest in my opinion is something people will have to learn to accept. I'm not going to lie about how I feel about how someone is acting. If someone is acting in a way I do not find acceptable, I will call them on it. I'm sure you would do the same.

I feel there was a double standard applied here because there always has been whenever I've done something similar to what someone else has done and did not receive the same type of response.

I was being quite civil sir, but I was also being honest. I'm sure you would do similar if in my situation, sir.I am capable of being professional and civil while speaking my mind. I do so IRL in my job as an engineer, and I am very capable of doing so as a foreign affairs official. I have the experience and I have done so before.

Govindia:
Tim:

There? Happy?
Tim , if you're going to speak to me, please do so in a civil and respecftul manner, especially to those older than you. There is no need to be condescending. My response was to Unibot, sir.
Two things,

1) How does my age related to yours have to do with anything?

2) Fair enough. Your response was to Unibot. In which case, here is my question.

One of the notions I was raised on in my Indian family was respecting your elders. The way you initially spoke to me sounded a bit condescending and disrespectful in my opinion towards someone older than you. While you may think it's ok to talk equally the same way to anyone regardless of age, it is usually best practise (from my experience) and better to speak to someone older than you with a bit more humility and respect than talking down to them, in my humble opinion.

It is true that I am not permitted in all of the forums that TNP has alliances with, namely the three you and Unibot mentioned. While conducting negotiations or having state meetings, I would make alternate arrangements to meet with my counterparts and/or associate officials if I cannot visit their forum or IRC channel.

I hope this addresses your question, Assemblyman Tim.

Mahaj:
I have a question for you.

If you were banned from a region allied with The North Pacific, how would you conduct foreign relations with that region?
I would make alternate arrangements to meet with my counterparts and/or associate officials if I cannot visit their forum or IRC channel.

I hope that answers your question, Councilman Mahaj.

With all due respect, being honest in my opinion is something people will have to learn to accept. I'm not going to lie about how I feel about how someone is acting. If someone is acting in a way I do not find acceptable, I will call them on it. I'm sure you would do the same.

Yes, I would and frequently do. But I am not running for the position of the most senior diplomat in our region.

Going into our embassy in Equilism and accusing them of drug abuse, even in jest, was a majorly stupid act, espcially if you suspected people would immediately jump on the comments, and especially given the delicate nature of our alliance negotiations with them at the moment.

Diplomacy is sometimes about speaking your piece. But it is also sometimes about holding your tongue, and sometimes about eating humble pie, and sometimes about being diplomatic in your words and tone. A true diplomat knows instinctively when each approach is needed.

You do not.

flemingovia:

Yes, I would and frequently do. But I am not running for the position of the most senior diplomat in our region.

Going into our embassy in Equilism and accusing them of drug abuse, even in jest, was a majorly stupid act, espcially if you suspected people would immediately jump on the comments.

Diplomacy is sometimes about speaking your piece. But it is also sometimes about holding your tongue, and sometimes about eating humble pie, and sometimes about being diplomatic in your words and tone. A true diplomat knows instinctively when each approach is needed.

You do not.
Actually I do. Most of the time lately I have been holding my tongue. Probably because I have been more active and speaking more have people taken notice ;)

I am well aware of the concept of "less is more" and about how to hold my tongue and when. I practise it daily in my job as it requires it, so yes I am capable of practicising it here as I have done so in the past as an ambassador and foreign minister.

Will you harass them regarding unbanning you in that meeting, or in embassies (as you did with in the Osiris embassy a few months ago)?

Govindia:
Tim:
Govindia:
unibot:
Govindia:

There? Happy?
The idea that Tim should respect you because of you were born before him is quite frankly ludicrous.

Respect is earnt, not given, and to expect it just because your parents did the dirty before Tim's is on the wrong side of insane.

inb4growupandactmaturely

One of the notions I was raised on in my Indian family was respecting your elders. The way you initially spoke to me sounded a bit condescending and disrespectful in my opinion towards someone older than you. While you may think it's ok to talk equally the same way to anyone regardless of age, it is usually best practise (from my experience) and better to speak to someone older than you with a bit more humility and respect than talking down to them, in my humble opinion.

[me]nods.

Well please realize that I might not have been raised on the same notions as you and that I don't believe in respecting people older than me simply because they are older than me. I won't respect you simply because you are older than me. I find that belief outdated, and unnecessary in today's society (Especially in the American one). If someone wishes for me to speak them with respect, then they must earn my respect first.

It is true that I am not permitted in all of the forums that TNP has alliances with, namely the three you and Unibot mentioned. While conducting negotiations or having state meetings, I would make alternate arrangements to meet with my counterparts and/or associate officials if I cannot visit their forum or IRC channel.

Understood.

What would be your plans if the region refuses to deal with you. I know that Osiris seems to have fairly strong feelings against you. Say, completely hypothetically, that Osiris would refuse to negotiate with you. What is your plan then?

It does indeed thank you

Gov, you were just destroyed by the arguments...

I suggest you to take a break from NS, as it seems your problems didn't end at all.

Earth:
Will you harass them regarding unbanning you in that meeting, or in embassies (as you did with in the Osiris embassy a few months ago)?
I will focus to the business at hand, because that is what I am obligated to do as a professional. Any personal opinions on any non-business matters are irrelevant to business in my opinion unless there is a time and willingness for both parties involved.

I hope that answers your question, Assemblywoman Earth.

madjack:
Govindia:
Tim:
Govindia:
unibot:
Govindia:

There? Happy?
The idea that Tim should respect you because of you were born before him is quite frankly ludicrous.

Respect is earnt, not given, and to expect it just because your parents did the dirty before Tim's is on the wrong side of insane.

inb4growupandactmaturely
Actually respect is given, not earned. If you want to be treated in a respectful manner and with courtesy, it is expected that you treat the others in a respectful manner and with courtesy.

and in the real world, and at work, respect is given because you are expected to treat people with respect, dignity, and courtesy in the workplace, and in any job you do. That is what being a mature person is, St. George.

Tim:

Tim nods.

Well please realize that I might not have been raised on the same notions as you and that I don't believe in respecting people older than me simply because they are older than me. I won't respect you simply because you are older than me. I find that belief outdated, and unnecessary in today's society (Especially in the American one). If someone wishes for me to speak them with respect, then they must earn my respect first.

Understood.

What would be your plans if the region refuses to deal with you. I know that Osiris seems to have fairly strong feelings against you. Say, completely hypothetically, that Osiris would refuse to negotiate with you. What is your plan then?

It does indeed thank you
I believe that an understanding can be reached between this government, the other government, and the relevant officials involved to come to a solution that is a win-win result for everyone :)

Queen Ravenna:

I suggest you to take a break from NS, as it seems your problems didn't end at all.
I disagree my friend. I believe I have answered them in an adequate manner.

This election should not be about popularity, it should be about merit and qualifications and I feel I am very much qualified, given my skills and experience, to be on the Council of Five.

flemingovia:
Your words and your actions are contradictory, as I am sure any member of Osiris and Equilism would say.
Actually they were consistent, not contradictory. If people can't understand humour, I am sorry for that. I have seen others use similar humour in both regions and no one went off on them. Again, I point to double standards being practised.

Govindia:
Queen Ravenna:

This election should not be about popularity, it should be about merit and qualifications and I feel I am very much qualified, given my skills and experience, to be on the Council of Five.
The point is that you feel you are, but the others may not feel the same xd

Queen Ravenna:
Govindia:
Queen Ravenna:

The point is that you feel you are, but the others may not feel the same xd
The negative feelings of just a few individuals do not represent the many in this region. Not everyone here dislikes me, and those that do either A. never got the chance to get to know me and are not giving the chance to get to know me, and B. or are simply continuing to harbour old grudges from years past instead of getting over it and moving on. That is why I said people are being very childish in my view.

I would post up a quote Fotar said about how he found people who mistreated me, but it has a bit of foul language in it so I may hold back on doing so.

Well, Machiavelli claimed that: "It is better to be feared than loved, if you cannot be both."
But you are neither feared nor loved Gov..

Anyway, if you want to continue searching for your chance, good luck.
That's all from me.

Back