Motion to Suspend Election Period until Sept.

Govindia

TNPer
I motion we suspend elections this month until it falls in line with the dates outlined in the Elections Forum for September.

This appears to be a delaying tactic to allow people who are not yet eligible to run for office or register in the RA the time needed to do so, IMHO.

I motion to NOT delay the elections and to proceed to elections as scheduled since everyone knew when the elections are scheduled to occur.

This type of political trickery has got to stop.

There, I expressed my opinion on this matter.

Romanoffia:
This appears to be a delaying tactic to allow people who are not yet eligible to run for office or register in the RA the time needed to do so, IMHO.

I motion to NOT delay the elections and to proceed to elections as scheduled since everyone knew when the elections are scheduled to occur.

This type of political trickery has got to stop.

There, I expressed my opinion on this matter.
The dates as Flem pointed out are in September, not August.

Ummmm. I do not believe the delay I suggested to give 30 clear days since the notice of election was posted (as our legal code requires) would allow anyone to stand for election who is not already eligible for candidature.

I cannot be sure about that because I have not closely checked - but that was certainly not my motivation.

We have had Delegates post the calendar as few as four or five days before nominations opened, and still held the election on time.

In my term as Delegate, the election calendar was posted exactly on time.

I fail to see how anyone was hurt or made ineligible by the slow posting of this election calendar because the cut off date for eligibility was prior to the date the calendar had to be posted.

flemingovia:
Ummmm. I do not believe the delay I suggested to give 30 clear days since the notice of election was posted (as our legal code requires) would allow anyone to stand for election who is not already eligible for candidature.

I cannot be sure about that because I have not closely checked - but that was certainly not my motivation.
I know it's not your motivation.

If the motion is only to move the election date without changing the dates of eligibility to stand for office/vote, then it would only increase the campaigning period, which is actually a good thing.

When you get right down to it, the present amount of time alloted for campaigning is dreadfully short and not enough time for candidates to really get properly known as to their positions.

Are we talking about the special elections? Because those are almost done, and the next normally scheduled election won't be until October or November, depending on whether the omnibus passes.

Gulliver:
Are we talking about the special elections? Because those are almost done, and the next normally scheduled election won't be until October or November, depending on whether the omnibus passes.
He's not talking about Judicial elections, I think, but about General elections.

As the planned date has already been changed with the announcement of a snap election, I believe this request is now out of date and redundant.

Edit: Pardon me, but I'm confused. Is Gov demanding that we suspend a set of elections scheduled for September (the Delegate, Vice Delegate and Speaker) till... September?

Belschaft:
As the planned date has already been changed with the announcement of a snap election, I believe this request is now out of date and redundant.

Edit: Pardon me, but I'm confused. Is Gov demanding that we suspend a set of elections scheduled for September (the Delegate, Vice Delegate and Speaker) till... September?
No, suspending these judicial elections underway until Septemeber. I was under the assertion that someone had informed ELuvatar that the dates were inaccurate.

flemingovia wasn't talking about the special judicial election. flemingovia was talking about the General election which is scheduled for September 1st-17th (+more if runoff)

Eluvatar:
flemingovia wasn't talking about the special judicial election. flemingovia was talking about the General election which is scheduled for September 1st-17th (+more if runoff)
Ok. Motion withdrawn.

Back