Embassy of Asgardia

asgard.png

Coup of Markarth

Honor is one of the attributes necessary for a region to thrive. Players of this game must honor the laws of the region, their leaders, their political opponents, even their enemies and it is only without the presence of honor that this game becomes a nightmare. In the early morning hours of August 21, we saw the absence of honor and its effects in the region of Markarth. Raxus Caedus Turn, founder and former ruler of the region, decided that power was more important than honor as he overthrew the legitimate Emperor and government of Markarth, forcing them out of the region they worked so hard to build. This is an act that cannot be allowed to stand, and all regions in NationStates should condemn it.

It is the responsibility of every region to stand up to this thug who parades as an emperor and support the legitimate Emperor of Markarth and the people in any way that is possible. We must not let this game devolve into a treacherous, vile environment that Raxus Caeuds Turn has moved Markarth towards, and so today I call on our allies, our enemies, and regions throughout the world of NationStates to stand with us against this vile thuggery and help the rightful Emperor Kellhus regain his place in the world. Asgard will be supplying any type of support it can for this cause, and we hope other regions will join us in this.

Isidor C. Stark, Keisair of Asgard
54ad1w.png

Ambroscus Koth-Stark, Forseti of Asgard
signature.png

As the founder of Asgard, I demand the abdication of Keisair Jager Snow and the restoration of my control over founder and root accounts for the following reasons:

1) The Keisair has thrown away constitutional rights to reasonable freedom of speech and expression;

2) The Keisair has thrown away the constitutional right to due process of law, stripping several citizens of their citizenship for the actions of one citizen -- an action that was not even a criminal offense in Asgard;

3) The Keisair has effectively banned every member of the government and every member of the parliament and has disregarded the courts, meaning that his actions effectively constitute a founder coup.

I urge members of the interregional community to cut off diplomatic relations with Asgard and to isolate Asgard, its Keisair, and all of his collaborators until the Keisair abdicates, control over the region is restored to its original founder, and the rule of law is restored.

Best of luck to Asgard, I hope that the founder account is restored to its rightful holder and that peace and justice can be restored to Asgard.

I'm considering an Embassy Termination if Jagermeister keeps up this Dictatorial Reign of Terror. He banned 4 (and maybe more) citizens for now reason and purged the IRC channel with IP Bans. I don't think it's in TNP's best interests to have an Embassy with a region like that.

Tim:
I'm considering an Embassy Termination if Jagermeister keeps up this Dictatorial Reign of Terror. He banned 4 (and maybe more) citizens for now reason and purged the IRC channel with IP Bans. I don't think it's in TNP's best interests to have an Embassy with a region like that.
I concur with the honourable Minister for Foreign Affairs comments on this matter.

Belschaft:
I feel inclined to point out that Tim is one of those citizens.
I think that is something to point out. Tim committed no crime in Asgard and was, from what I understand, stripped of citizenship for somehow insulting the Keisair in IRC. Whatever legal arguments may or may not apply to the other citizenship revocations, the revocation of Tim's citizenship was definite tyranny. And this is now the second time that this particular Keisair has completely disregarded Asgard's relationship with TNP, the first being when he banned Eluvatar from Asgard's IRC because of Elu's affiliation with the UDL (a ban he later lifted under pressure from the same people whose citizenship has now been revoked).

That wasn't my point Cormac. I was trying to point out that Tim has a personal stake in this, and as such is not impartial.

asgard3.jpg

Request for Recognition
A Statement from the Government of Asgardia

The Government of Asgardia officially requests that all regions with which our predecessor region, Asgard, had diplomatic relations recognize Asgardia as the legitimate regional successor to Asgard. Following the destruction of Asgard's forum and the continued inactivity of the last Keisair of Asgard, Jagermeister, many native nations of Asgard have relocated to the region Asgardia and have begun the rebuilding process under the leadership of Cormac Stark, Keisari of Asgardia and Original Founder of Asgard. In the absence of any rival region claiming to be the legitimate successor to Asgard and given the continued absence of Jagermeister, it is clear that Asgardia is the legitimate regional successor to Asgard.

We hope that our friends and allies abroad will honor this request for recognition. Should you choose to do so, we ask that one of the following actions be taken in regard to Asgard's embassy on your offsite forum at the discretion of your government and forum administration team:

1) We ask that the current embassy be transferred to Asgardia and renamed accordingly; alternatively:
2) We ask that the current embassy be closed and archived, and a new one constructed for Asgardia.

Asgardia looks forward to working closely with Asgard's friends and allies as we move forward. Thank you!

~ Delivered by HRM Kingborough, Fursti of Valhalla on behalf of HRM Cormac, Keisari of Asgardia.

A new name is a new region. This is a serious situation and I think the RA should be properly consulted on what the government intends to do regarding Asgard/Asgardia. Do we have relations with Asgard? If not then Asgardia should apply as a new region. If we do have relations with Asgard then you're proposing to cut relations with them and set up relations with Asgardia. It seems to me not something that should be done by the flick of a switch. It could set a bad precedent, imagine if somebody did that to us.

Chasmanthe:
A new name is a new region. This is a serious situation and I think the RA should be properly consulted on what the government intends to do regarding Asgard/Asgardia. Do we have relations with Asgard? If not then Asgardia should apply as a new region. If we do have relations with Asgard then you're proposing to cut relations with them and set up relations with Asgardia. It seems to me not something that should be done by the flick of a switch. It could set a bad precedent, imagine if somebody did that to us.
Just to clarify a few things:

1) The North Pacific does have an embassy with Asgard, to answer your question.

2) We're not denying that we're a new region. We are also, however, the only region that claims to be the regional successor to Asgard and the only region to which a large number of nations native to Asgard have relocated. Meanwhile, Asgard has been inactive since the destruction of its forum as a result of being abandoned by the third and last Keisair of Asgard, Jagermeister -- who was in all likelihood responsible for the forum's destruction.

3) There is really no reason for The North Pacific not to cut relations with Asgard and open relations with its successor region. Asgard is not coming back. Immediately upon his return Jagermeister would be forced to answer questions about the destruction of our forum that he doesn't want to answer, which is no doubt why he has been absent since the day of the forum's destruction. And while I had hoped to wait until this was more official, Jagermeister has given the founder nation of Asgard to another Asgardian and this Asgardian has said that he will give the founder nation to me. Once the founder nation of Asgard is in my possession again, there will be no doubt at all that Asgard will not be resuming its activity and that Asgardia is its regional successor.

I hope that clarifies some of these issues.

Thank you Cormac.

I just think the successor-region concept is a slippery slope.

I'm not aware of why TNP did not cut relations with Asgard earlier. I'm not against TNP having relations with Asgardia. From the little I know it seems they ought to be treated as separate regions, which I think you do agree that they are. Asgardia cannot inherit the relations TNP had with Asgard. TNP should be working with Asgardia to establish new relations as painlessly as possible.

The mechanics of the onsite game do not accommodate the notion of 'successor regions'; hence said notion is totally detached from reality as established by the game this forum purports to be based upon. Not that reality and facts have ever stopped TNP before....

Chasmanthe:
Do we have relations with Asgard?
You happen to be posting in Asgard's embassy and you didn't work out they had relations with TNP? =/

I just think the successor-region concept is a slippery slope.
This situation is pretty much the same to that of the Dominion of Makarth (sp?) after its founder couped the original Makarth. As shown by that situation and indeed the one in Asgardia, successor regions do exist and you can't just dismiss the idea. Sadly founders and delegates go mad occasionally and the regional community rebuilds itself in a successor region, that is the fact of the matter.

I do dismiss the notion of successor regions. You have to really think about it. If our delegate went mad and ruined the region, and we created a new region to rebuild, we still wouldn't be The North Pacific, no matter how you slice it, actual region is the one with the mad ruler. Switching one region into another is not something that can be unilaterally declared. TNP should have cut relations with Asgard, they need to have a proper transition.

For anybody who does not remember this time, it is worth pointing out that TNP has done this sort of thing before. During Equilism's schism, many members left or were ejected from the region, moved to a new one and set up a new forum. In response, TNP suspended relations with Equilism proper and recognized the GiE as the proper representatives with whom to deal.

Had the schism been real, and/or had reunification not been successful, I have no doubt that TNP would have considered the temporary region as the new home of Equilism and recognized it accordingly, despite the continued existence of the old region.

And in reverse, Equilism (and others) have in the past recognized TNP's GiE as the legitimate representatives of the region, regardless of who happened to have stolen power at the time.

Empress Astarial:
For anybody who does not remember this time, it is worth pointing out that TNP has done this sort of thing before. During Equilism's schism, many members left or were ejected from the region, moved to a new one and set up a new forum. In response, TNP suspended relations with Equilism proper and recognized the GiE as the proper representatives with whom to deal.

Had the schism been real, and/or had reunification not been successful, I have no doubt that TNP would have considered the temporary region as the new home of Equilism and recognized it accordingly, despite the continued existence of the old region.

And in reverse, Equilism (and others) have in the past recognized TNP's GiE as the legitimate representatives of the region, regardless of who happened to have stolen power at the time.
Like I said the realities and constraints of the game mechanics have never mattered much here in the past. I am arguing for a change of course here.

While I understand the issues at hand here. I believe that Jagermeister no longer controls the Founder Account of Asgard. It is clear from that, there is no desire to rebuild Asgard, and that Asgardia is the successor region.

I will act accordingly. Relations will be officially closed with Asgard in-game, and opened with Asgardia accordingly. I will rename this thread for Asgardia. All official communication will continue to be conducted in this thread.

If the reunification had not been successful, wouldn't it have been better for TNP to recognise the GiE using their new in-game name? The old region cannot then also establish relations with TNP if TNP is recognising the new region under the old name.

Chasmanthe:
If the reunification had not been successful, wouldn't it have been better for TNP to recognise the GiE using their new in-game name? The old region cannot then also establish relations with TNP if TNP is recognising the new region under the old name.
Except that, under those politics, that's the point - the GiE, both TNP's and ours, was recongized as the sole legitimate government of the region it had been wrongfully ejected from. Recognizing the couping government would have given it legitimacy, undermined relations, and been cause for termination of regional friendship. You're not supposed to be able to recognize both at the same time.

Well, forgive my noobish ways but is Asgardia claiming to be the government of Asgard or of Asgardia? Or both? If it's both then it makes sense. If it's not claiming to be the government of Asgard then there is no need for them to have the old embassy. If it's not claiming to be the government of Asgardia then it's a GiE and expecting to take the region back. But just because Asgard is no longer asserting its claim on Asgard, it doesn't mean the Asgard embassy belongs to Asgardia, unless they are now claiming it in addition to their new region.

Back