Court's ruling

Ok the courts ruled that if you have a nation in TNP you are protected by the Bill of Rights and you can be tried in court. I want a poll to see how many agree before I put this on the voting floor.

Suppose you were in, I don't know, Turkey. On a holiday. You happen to have some bud. I don't think it's fair that you should rot in a Turkish prison, but hey, that's life.

Tyler:
I dont think its fair for me to make a nation, come up in TNP, commit a law and get tried in the court.
First, I don't think you can commit a law. Second, I don't think you will be breaking any laws if you are not part of the forums.

Funkadelia:
Tyler:
I dont think its fair for me to make a nation, come up in TNP, commit a law and get tried in the court.
First, I don't think you can commit a law. Second, I don't think you will be breaking any laws if you are not part of the forums.
This. Someone who is say, trying to coup the region will know it's illegal and will know the ramifications of their actions.

The current law in TNP has been that way since 2005. It's been part of the last three Constitutions, so it is not something new, and guess what, our policy is well known throughout Nationstates and has been for a long time.

You might want to read the Court opinion on the matter which was issued a couple of years ago, it didn't really create the current rules, but it did crystalize what we've been following for years.

I'm not a believer of we've done it this way, let's keep doing it.

I don't agree that non-TNP citizens should receive the rights and privileges of TNP citizens. I don't believe non-TNP citizens should be tried for things such as treason. To me, there are a set of criminal acts that can only be committed once you've become a citizen.

If we use GBM's example, a non-citizen of Turkey could commit espionage but could not commit treason. I'd like to reverse the age-old maxim TNP has lived with, with a new construct that, in my opinion, adequately separates crimes committed by citizens (read: residents) and non-citizens.

Other: If someone is in the region for surreptitious reasons, then all bets are off as per the Bill of Rights. (invaders or other interlopers who are here to attempt invasion are subject to military authority, not civil authority).

Please go read the Court opinion, Roman's point is already covered. If a nation comes into TNP "representing" another region or organization then they are not protected as a resident under our Constitution and Bill of Rights.
The status of foreign subversives would be no different than RMB spammers, as far as I'm concerned, since their intent is what determines their status, and if their intent is not a good faith acceptance of residency as a part of our regional community, then they're not part of it.

Back